BMW N62 - HM Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever used high mileage oils in the N62 engine? Mine is currently sitting at 152500 miles. I've had most of every potential leak on this engine fixed minus the lower oil pan cover which looks like it's seeping ever so slightly. If a HM oil changed every 5K miles could slow or eliminate the seeping and help prevent future leaks from developing, I am open to trying it out. I have been using either GC or M1 0W40 for its life with me.

While I know BMW's LL01 spec calls for an HTHS of >3.5, their LL01FE spec allows for an HTHS of >3.0 which some oils like M1 HM 5w30 and 10w30 both have. Valvoline's full syn with maxlife 5w30 is a5/b5 rated which calls for an HTHS of >2.9. It seems to me that looking at HTHS, I'd be fairly safe using one of these oils. Whatever they lack in detergents for example will be balanced by my 5K OCI.

Aside from HTHS values, are there any other specs that I should consider when looking at these HM oils?

Actually, XOM claims A3 for M1 HM 10W-30, so it should have HTHS of at least 3.5, perfect for your engine.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
That's a second marriage, keeping an aging BMW V8 dry and free of oil leaks.

Amen. So many possible leaks on a BMW V8 I don't even want to think about it. So far I only have a minor seep on one valve cover on my N62B48 with 100k miles. Some owners are dealing with 4-5 leaks.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
That's a second marriage, keeping an aging BMW V8 dry and free of oil leaks.

Tell me about it. Luckily most of my leaks were taken care of under warranty when the valve stem seals were replaced. So far it looks to be a very light seep from the oil pan so if an HM oil can help, as I said, I'm completely open to trying it.

Castrol HM 10W40 is both A3/B3 and A3/B4 rated. I'm liking the idea of mixing it with some Castrol 5W40 which is the only thing that I can get at Walmart that still meets the LL01 spec being that the M1 0W40 FS lost the BMW spec for whatever reason. Is it even worth mixing? Or should I just run whatever HM oil I get straight without anything else?

I wouldn't mix. I would either commit to the HM oil, or keep running a spec oil and maybe try LM Motor Oil Saver or deal with the leak.

Military style: drips pans and chock blocks lol

Can you drop the pan and fix the leak ??

Might not need a new gasket, as my last leak was just a loose bolt. You can also use some sealant.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I wouldn't mix. I would either commit to the HM oil, or keep running a spec oil and maybe try LM Motor Oil Saver or deal with the leak.

Have you used the LM motor saver ?? my N62 has 105000 mikes and just started the smoking at startup about a week ago where I actually smell the burning oil, Using german Castrol 0w 40

Originally Posted By: stspinner
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Have you used the LM motor saver ?? my N62 has 105000 mikes and just started the smoking at startup about a week ago where I actually smell the burning oil, Using german Castrol 0w 40

Yes, I have used it on a few cars. Works well if you have minor leaks or weeping caused by brittle seals.

I'm going to try roofless's idea. Bought some MOS from Napa and I'm going to mix it in with the M1 0w40 that I picked up yesterday. Once I change it, I'll let you all know how it works for me.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Actually, XOM claims A3 for M1 HM 10W-30, so it should have HTHS of at least 3.5, perfect for your engine.

Yes both M1 10W30 HM (HTHS = 3.5) and M1 10W40 HM (HTHS = 3.9) are both A3 rated. Good quality, full synthetic, high mileage oil.

I would have no problem using either of these. They are not BMW LL oil, so I would just keep to a moderate OCI, nothing too long. Maybe 7000 miles and a UOA to see how things are going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back