ideal mileage interval to rotate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I don't rotate tires. They wear evenly just the way they are. No value added to rotate. Of course, you might see value.

Same here.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
OP, I suppose the more frequent the rotation the longer the tire life. So every 5K would probably get you the most life out of your tires. I am currently in the process of tire shopping and will most likely go to a 10K miles rotation schedule, less frequent trips to the shop = less potential damage from clumsy, nonchalant techs.

I think you're still missing a logical step thats important . rotating tires does not magically adds tire life. what it does is it evenly distribute out tire wear that might be uneven.

if you rotated so that each tire gets to experience each corner 25% of its life that would be the ideal distribution of wear.
rotating through the cycle with 8stints vs 4stints does not change this distribution of wear and it does not magically reduce the wear. so you aren't goimg to get much returns for going 8 stints vs 4 stintd

If your tires wear unevenly rotating more frequent help distribute the uneven wear from being built ip in one specific spot too much. this can cause one axel has different performance than the other which may then have a drive ability effect. but keep in mind this has no affect on reduction of wear or tire life.

in most cars with good alignment it's mostly now the f/r wear that you want to distribute wear and the side wear can be ignored. ideally then en you can balance wear with just 1 rotation front to back.
say your car is really front dependent snd fronts wear twice as fast as your rears and would wear out the tires in: 60k rears 30k fronts.
you can equalize wear in just 1 rotation, and they'd spend equal time at front/rear. this would be at 20k miles. where fronts were 2/3rds worn, rear 1/3rd worn. then after the swap you get 20k more miles in the other position.
howrver the world is not ideal your alignment can go out of whack, rotating more frequently let's you automatically even out the wear as you go as well as your tire tech to inspect for other issues

now take opposite example and your fronts and rears wear about the same. there is little to no gains from rotating

A tread depth gauge is a great aid to determining an appropriate interval. That way it can save time/effort if all the tires are wearing evenly. Or catch an issue early.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
A tread depth gauge is a great aid to determining an appropriate interval. That way it can save time/effort if all the tires are wearing evenly. Or catch an issue early.

I also use a depth gauge. My tire shop gave me one when I asked about buying it.

I have a depth gauge, but rotate every 5k (about every 4 months). My FWD's seem to need every 5k, but my RWD truck seems ok with 10k and perhaps more. 5k might be overkill, but it'll just mean really uniform wear, right? [It's also specified in the manual for both vehicles, for what it's worth.]

If I had to pick a number that somehow applied to one and all, 5k would be it.

I've seen tires that spend too much distance on the rear of fwd develop treadwear that's noisy if rotated to front.
So maybe one rotation over the life of the tires is risky.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
I've seen tires that spend too much distance on the rear of fwd develop treadwear that's noisy if rotated to front.
It takes 15 minutes to rotate tires on a car. I don't see the big deal of doing them often.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It takes 15 minutes to rotate tires on a car. I don't see the big deal of doing them often.

You seem to miss the point of my last post.
What I'm saying is one rotation over the tire life is not enough, maybe worse than not rotating at all.
With FWD I do the first rotation at 2500 miles then every 5000 miles.

I do one or two rotations over the tire's life. Never noticed the noise issue.

Guess it depends on the application and the conditions operated in. My commercial truck tires get rotated every 100K miles. Got 447K miles out of the last set of drive tires and typically get 225K miles out of steer tires.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Guess it depends on the application and the conditions operated in. My commercial truck tires get rotated every 100K miles. Got 447K miles out of the last set of drive tires and typically get 225K miles out of steer tires.

That's a lot of miles. You must have 24.5 wheels. The most I ever got was 375K on drives, 150 on steering before the company used them on an old trailer. FWIW I rotate every 10K miles. Tires seem to last OK.

I actually do one tire swap front to rear on the same side at what I estimate to be about 30% of the life of a set of tires.
It is my opinion that any noise that might result is caused by reversing the direction of rotation of the tires, so I avoid the usual rotation pattern.
Most of us have better ways to spend our time than 5-6K rotations of a set of tires that'll probably last 50K+ anyway.
Also, how many of the cars owned by your friends and neighbors ever get a tire rotation?
Those cars are probably lucky to get oil changes and you can forget about the coolant, the ATF and the brake fluid.

I rotate tyres every 10,000km. Just did the Outlander yesterday in fact, including the spare as Mitsubishi very kindly install an identical 18 inch alloy wheel. I follow the rotation guide set out in the owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back