CNG Blackstone Recomms a 30,000 miles OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Blackstone report recommends my next OCI is at 30,000 for my 1999 Volvo CNG Bifuel. Now with 168,000 on it, not bad eh?

Being real gas, not the liquid-stuff that over your side of the pond gets called 'gas', but isn't, they do say CNG is kind to engines. It can't wash the oil back off again, and it can't carry too much to make sludge, this shouldn't be much of a surprise.

OK, because 'it do burn' some oil, I have to admit I do top-up with Valvoline Maxlife every 2000 miles (with a litre), and I don't go near deseaseel and only run petrol for the first 30secs of running (to start the thing) but come on...

See, I rest my case, 15,000 OCI is for girls;) and any less than 10,000 and you're certified as gay;)

Doubt this report? Call Blackstone and ask 'em.

Last edited:
You add a liter every 2,000 miles??

Try NEVER changing the oil...you're changing it all out every 10,000 already. This report is NOT for oil with 28,000 - it's for oil with roughly 5,000 average miles. Because the oldest quart in there isn't over 10,000 miles.

I hereby certify you as gay.

Quote:
you're definitely approaching continuous oil change

You might have point here. But you've got to jerk the odd chain in life. It's my calling;)

I was never confused.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
You add a liter every 2,000 miles??

Try NEVER changing the oil...you're changing it all out every 10,000 already. This report is NOT for oil with 28,000 - it's for oil with roughly 5,000 average miles. Because the oldest quart in there isn't over 10,000 miles.

I hereby certify you as gay.

I got to that point with my sons saturn before the rebuild. I didn't change the oil I used a m1 or fram ultra and changed the filter once a year.

It was GM's version of check and add!

Yeh OK. I drive a Volvo for chrissakes. File me under 'Big Girl's Blouse'. Which for those of you that don't do 'Brit' means a bit of a wus.

BTW: The filter looked near mint.

Last edited:
If it does, much as I'd have anyone, even Blackstone, stump-up for another, I can't see oil being the cause. I don't know what will kill my car, but it's not looking like it'll be oil.

Last edited:
Volvo shouldn't be consuming that much oil...how's your PCV (AKA Flame Trap) system?

Ever replace it?

Ah, all too aware of PCV system issues on this car. Did my PCV etc when I took over the car at 91,000. It has always burned oil despite very decent compression tests (like new). Valve stems if leaking don't show smoke-symptoms and still it burns oil. But, it's burning it somewhere. Not sure where else to look.

Last edited:
If I am running microGreen filters and getting decent UOA after 30,000 miles on 0W-20 in a DI engine you could use MG filters and go 90,000+ miles. What a great way to reduce the waste stream!

Quote:

I've thought about this. For all that is holy, never let the truth get in the way of a good story;)

'sides... If I'd done my UOA at half these miles, say 14,000 I'm reckoning I'd have seen the metals and insolubles at half the already good levels I'm seeing here. So if wear metals are in the average range for a typical vehicle with 20% of my miles, i shall go away and puff my chest anyways. The filter was clean, and thinking about it, why wouldn't it be. The gas was put to 200Bar (3000 psi) and filtered thru' Molecular seive and Active carbon, so that by the time it hit the engiine such was the filtering there was nothing left to create sludges etc anyway.

I say go CNG. So ner ner, na ner ner.

Last edited:
Make me wonder what special things are to happen since I am using a natural gas synthetic from Pennzoil? A qt every few thousand...I would keep a case in the backseat just in case. Certification of being gay for not going 10,000 miles+ on a engine eh? Well,you have to have a real petrol engine first,and second your using Valvoline so your much closer than I.

You're right of course. This engine has an underlying issue with burning oil, so topping-off greatly throws the lab report. It burnt only petrol up to 91,000, so this is not truly an CNG car, only truly a CNG from that point onwards. And thsi Oil test. But the point remains. The metals etc are decent for 5000 miles, let alone 28,000. Unless someone can correct me, the fact that topping-off has propped up the report doesn't change those metals, only the TBN. Correct?

I'd truly like to see your report when you do it. It might well confimrm or deny mine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke
You're right of course. This engine has an underlying issue with burning oil, so topping-off greatly throws the lab report. It burnt only petrol up to 91,000, so this is not truly an CNG car, only truly a CNG from that point onwards. And thsi Oil test. But the point remains. The metals etc are decent for 5000 miles, let alone 28,000. Unless someone can correct me, the fact that topping-off has propped up the report doesn't change those metals, only the TBN. Correct?

It certainly will affect the metal numbers, oil lost is oil lost and is being replaced with new oil as you add it. If that weren't the case then no one would worry about high ZDDP numbers and catalytic converters.

Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke

I'd truly like to see your report when you do it. It might well confimrm or deny mine.
When you burn oil, the metals go with it, then replaced with clean oil when topped off. Also helps replenish the TBN (which would be slow to decline due to burning CNG). I'd be using an M1 or Ultra, send a sample in every 20K, you probably would only need to change a filter every 40K or so (use a synthetic media filter for sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back