What is my real OCI if I burn 1 quart/1000m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all your tips.
I am a little confused by the culture of this site, some woudl have it that the OCI should be at 4-5000 mile intervals whereas others seem to be happy with vastly more. Am I gettign my wires crossed here? Is it that I top up so often that has you tipping me towards these far higher OCIs or am I missing something?

there is no consensus on the internet.There are tribes of people.

Some people post just to hear their own tribe echo and reassure them of what they wanted to hear anyway, and that echo gets multiplied even drowning out other options.

If you truly are tribe-less, then you have to decide for yourself who to listen to.

I would say you should start experimenting with different oil brands and oil grades to try to reduce the oil consumption.

Last edited:
[soapbox] The Arabs would not have attacked us, if we had not attacked them first (dating across 50 years of interference). You can't keep punching someone in the nose & not expect an opposite reaction. I was not the least bit surprised on 9/11. "Hmmm a plane hit building two..... well now I know it's terrorists." I figured our killing would eventually have some blowback. [/soapbox]

0 == 100% new
1000 == 1/6 new 5/6 old (1000 miles)
2000 == 1/6 new 5/6*1/6 (1000 miles aged) 5/6*5/6 (2000 miles aged)
3000 == 1/6 new 5/6*1/6 (1000) 5/6*5/6*1/6 (2000) 5/6*5/6*5/6 (3000 miles aged)
4000 == 1/6 new 5/6*1/6 (1000) 5/6*5/6*1/6 (2000) 5/6*5/6*5/6*1/6 (3000) 5/6*5/6*5/6*5/6 (4000)
5000 == 0 new 5/6*1/6 (1000) 5/6*5/6*1/6 (2000) 5/6*5/6*5/6*1/6 (3000) 5/6*5/6*5/6*5/6*1/6 (4000) 5/6*5/6*5/6*5/6*5/6 (5000)

So to summarize: At 5000 miles only 40% of the original oil is left. The rest is a mixture of various ages.

At 10,000 miles only 16% of the original oil would be left.
At 20,000 miles only 3% of the original oil is left
(assuming you never change the oil).

Originally Posted By: ordinarybloke
Originally Posted By: Kuato
....in their belief that the US is the world.

This narrow mindset is amazingly prevalent. I often get asked, "Why do you want to go to Europe? We have everything here." Ignorance. /rant

As far as the 17% having all the bad stuff remaining, it is certainly possible. Since your amount of miles driven is less UK and more US, a UOA will tell you if your "nasties" (LOL) are there or have been safely diluted.

I don't know offhand if Blackstone will mail kits overseas but if they won't, send me a PM and I'll be happy to mail you one. With oil being expensive, the nominal cost of the UOA ($30US) will be well worth it.

When i first encountered 'Average Joe Yank' I thought the insular mindset was an isolated thing, but no - it is all pervasive. Your TV news CBS, FOX, CNN is so insualr. I could quote you dozens of examples, but the universal one is 9/11.

The Luftwaffe, the RAF (and it has to be said your lot too) did more in any one raid, to Europe's cities, than that little tickle. Sorry, not to downplay such an event too much, but in that instance, unlike us, you were really surprised.

The world knocked on your door, [agreed, very hard] and your nation reacted to that shock, rather the actual event. You see, the world had never come to your door before, I think it was news to your average Yank that the world does not like us (By us I mean the English-speaking world) I read that only 10% of you have passports. There is a world out there and it is Mahoosive, and it will not want to subscribe to the American way.

The reaction to that event has changed our world, more than the event could have done. That insular approach has cost us all.

You appear to be an unusual American in that you seem to already know that.

Thank you for your kind offer of a UOA pack, I've looked and it is something not easily accessed here outside of race engine development, so pricey. But if I keep my oil clean i'll be OK.

[hijack] in the US there are programs (programmes?) titled "World News" that have nothing, or very little, to do with anything outside the US. You have to watch BBC, RT, or Al Jazeera to get any content from the rest of the world.

As far as 9/11, the last time the US was attacked on home soil, we entered WWII so yeah, a bit sensitive there; but when you are thousands of miles away from other countries, you can't help from being insulated. I can drive West from my home for 400 miles and still be in the same state...if you drive East the same distance from London you would be somewhere past Cologne, Germany. It's a matter of scale. [/hijack]

The UOA package would be mailed back to the US; cost here is $30; so depending on exchange rate (Blackstone takes credit cards) for under 30£ total you'd have some answers but it is your call.

Last edited:
Humble Pie/
You wrote:

==========================
When you are thousands of miles away from other countries, you can't help from being insulated. I can drive West from my home for 400 miles and still be in the same state...
==========================
Whilst you're sort of 'stating' the obvious, that brings it home. Even though I know this, I struggle to get my head round the concept. Yes, 400 miles can put me thru' three countries, nearly four. Which leaves me to wonder, maybe in your position, I'd be more than happy if my 'World-news' was World-news too.

/There endeth the Humble Pie.

I'm going to give it a go. I've jsut ordered a test-kit from Blackstone, it's not clear if they send to the UK, the order form mentions Canada, but not further afield, but we'll see. Agreed a UOA is worthwhile.

Blackman777 -

======================
At 10,000 miles only 16% of the original oil would be left.
At 20,000 miles only 3% of the original oil is left
(assuming you never change the oil).
===============================

The idea that I've got 3% of my original oil at 20K sets me thinking. A UOA will reveal what is happening, my compression test was very good, yet I'm burning it somewhere. At 20,000 miles I have thus burnt 97% of my original oil, am I also burning large proportions of the 'kak' with it? Surely the 'kak' of the last 20,000, whilst it might not burn as readily as hte oil, we will have more than 3% of the kak left. I hope say 95% of it in the filter. The rest mixed in the oil.

In this case, burning oil could be seen as a virtue? This must be a subject covered on BITOG, in essence I ask, how much slower is my burning of 'kak' going to be, over my oil burning. If they burned at the same rate, there would indeed be no reason to ever cahnge oil in a car that burns it anyway? Just change the filter. [Perhaps this is for a separate thread, even if in truth part of the same question, one I can't believe has not been raised before]

I'll wait to see if I get a test-kit form Blackstone

Last edited:

BTW: It's not foggy in London. WW2 started in 1939 and it's not the 'World Series (no one else plays it), and you lot were very silly to throw that tea in the river. So there.

Um, hate to give you more humble pie but I may have to, apologies:

About 28-30% of Major League Baseball players are not US born. Depends on starting day rosters, which changes yearly:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7779279/percentage-foreign-major-league-baseball-players-rises

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/0...on-u-s-players/

Europeans generally don't play baseball, true statement. Statements like "World Series, no one else plays it" generally represent a very Euro centric view. Check Central/South America, JApan, S Korea, and Taiwan and now China. The correct statement might be, why are Europeans not playing baseball like the rest of the world? Even had 4 Aussies in the Big Leagues as of 2012, didn't even realize that anyone played there.

As for WW2, Japan invaded China in 1937. That is when the war in the Pacific theater began (as it was called later on). It did broaden into a hot war with the "official" US involvement after Pearl Harbor, an event similar to 9/11. However Americans volunteered to fight in China prior to Pearl Harbor.

1939 , which many state was the start of WW2, was actually just the beginning on the European theater (as it was later called). Many historians (Western European and North American) refer to 1939 as the start, many in Asia do not. Its a matter of perspective, Euro view or Global view.

As for the tea, well I don't drink tea
smile.gif
We mostly drink coffee, comes from our our South/Central American continental neighbors
smile.gif

Last edited:
i don't know why there is an obsession with % of original oil remaining.

There's always a percentage of original oil left, even with full drain, there's at least a quart of old oil remaining compared to a dryfill of your system.

If you believe what the oil bibles say that oil does not wear out, just the additives, then you should be calculating average age of all your "oil" (really age of additives) to get an understanding of how much additive you have left.
I have not done the math, but roughly I think it'll reach a steady state of average age of 4000miles.

If you're worried about the oldest oil in your engine and that it is full of crud, then go ahead and change it out more often. Heck, you better do a double oil change and flush your system with another 6quarts of fresh extra every time you do an oil change to make sure you get all that "original" oil out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
i don't know why there is an obsession with % of original oil remaining.

There's always a percentage of original oil left, even with full drain, there's at least a quart of old oil remaining compared to a dryfill of your system.

Maybe in a engine with a oil cooler but on the US V8s I've pulled apart you'd be lucky to find a cup of oil in the complete engine... Most of it will be maybe 1/8" setting in the bottom of the pan and not even that if you have the vehicle elevated and plug is at 45* in rear of sump...

At a quart per 1000 miles consumption in 5000 miles it's had 5 quarts added I don't think the oil would even be too black and considering the additive package is renewed every 1000 miles I wouldn't even bother changing it,just change the filters every 10000 miles and call er done.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
As for the tea, well I don't drink tea
smile.gif
We mostly drink coffee, comes from our our South/Central American continental neighbors
smile.gif

OT, but for some real irony, I drink tea, imported from an American blender.
wink.gif

I wouldn't waste my money on a synthetic. Go with the cheapest dino you can get every 10k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back