Oil not fully drained after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero with the 6g75 3.8L V6.

I bought this vehicle 2 months ago with 160k km (100k miles) on the odometer. For preventative maintenance I've changed every single fluid on this vehicle. There is a minor valve cover leak which I intend to address next spring. When I bought it oil reading was slightly below minimum on dipstick, previous owner had a 1 quart bottle of Castrol Edge 5w30 in the rear for top up. Not sure what oil was in the sump. Engines calls for 5.2 quarts or 4.9 liters of 5w30. I drained 4 liters out and replaced it with 5L of Maxlife 5w30 and Baldwin B7243. Oil was quite dark.

Since then I've put on 5k km and couple days ago I decided to swap in some PU 5W30 + Fram Ultra for the winter. So I let the oil drain for over a hour, changed filter, closed everything up and put in 5L of PU. I went to transfer the used oil from drain pan to the jug for recycling and realized only 3.6L came out. Checked dipstick and sure enough I am about an inch over the full mark. I drained about a liter out to bring her back down to full. Engine was up to temp and fluid was warm when I drained.

What would cause oil to not fully drain? Anyone ever experienced this?

Originally Posted By: Kansas_Ron
Does it have 2 drain plugs?

+1 Or the engine could have a lot of junk in there plugging up passage ways, and the oil didn't fully drain. An hour is more than enough time to get the oil out.

Not that I am aware of.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 Or the engine could have a lot of junk in there plugging up passage ways, and the oil didn't fully drain. An hour is more than enough time to get the oil out.

That's what I immediately thought of. For what it's worth, motor runs smooth and judging by looking through the oil fill hole there is some varnish, but nothing too crazy. I should have cut the filter to inspect but totally forgot and already dropped off at recycles.

did you do your oci in the same spot? In other words on flat ground and not on ramps?

Perhaps there is an issue where the oil drain is sensitive to slopes

Looking online at Mobil oil's web site and Havoline, Quaker State and Pennzoil trying to find the oil capacity for your engine. Quaker State says 4.6L or 4.9 quarts. Pennzoil says 1.14 gallons or 4.5 quarts or 4.25L. Havoline says 5.18 quarts or 4.9L. Mobil says 6 quarts or 5.68L. So there is not much agreement happening here. Going by your remarks I would put 4 quarts in next time and see where you stand. 4 quarts equals 3.8L, you say you drained 3.6L. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
did you do your oci in the same spot? In other words on flat ground and not on ramps?

Perhaps there is an issue where the oil drain is sensitive to slopes

Yes sir, same spot. Almost flat ground.

Looking online at Mobil oil's web site and Havoline, Quaker State and Pennzoil trying to find the oil capacity for your engine. Quaker State says 4.6L or 4.9 quarts. Pennzoil says 1.14 gallons or 4.5 quarts or 4.25L. Havoline says 5.18 quarts or 4.9L. Mobil says 6 quarts or 5.68L. So there is not much agreement happening here. Going by your remarks I would put 4 quarts in next time and see where you stand. 4 quarts equals 3.8L, you say you drained 3.6L. Good luck.

That's odd. The figures I got were off AMSOIL site. I looked in my factory manual and it states:

Engine Oil

Oil Pan - 4.5 qt or 4.3L
Oil Filter - 0.32 qt or 0.3L
Oil Cooler - 0.32 qt or 0.3L

So it should hold 4.8 qt / 4.6L fine.

I have a car with similar capacities (bigger oil cooler so maybe yours is just a water/oil exchanger?), and I only drain (and refill) a quantity corresponding to the oil pan capacity, I think you should drain around 4,3L. Dont' forget oil cooler probably has a thermostat so is closed when you drain the oil.

Also the oil filter media may stay impregnated
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back