Bmw 328i oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.0 liters. Or 5.3 qts.
I use Castrol 0w40 in my 2012. Meets specs and is easily available. The Ll-01 is the most important spec to look for.
I would recommend returning or using the valvoline 5w30 ilsac oil in something else.

Castrol 0w40..........but then again...it's your car....
15.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Valvoline 5W30 MST meets BMW LL-04 NOT LL-01.

Errrr, yes, that is what i meant to say. Thanks for the correction.

To answer the OP original question as to how much it takes, no. The simplest way to measure would be to pour the oil into half gallon bottles such as for milk. if it takes 2.5 bottles, it took 5 quarts. If it is 3.5 bottles, it was 7 quarts.

I recommend using an LL01 oil also, but that was not the original question.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Oil choice is not the issue. I'll use BMW 5w30 oil from the dealer. More important, do u know if it's 5 or 7 qts? Is there a oil reset? I'll keep searching

So if you are going to the dealer to buy the oil there why don't you ask them all these questions and have it right?

Or just have them do it if you're worried about it?

Originally Posted By: jayg
Oil choice is not the issue. I'll use BMW 5w30 oil from the dealer. More important, do u know if it's 5 or 7 qts? Is there a oil reset? I'll keep searching

So if you are going to the dealer to buy the oil there why don't you ask them all these questions and have it right?

I asked the dealer and the dude told me he thinks it's 7 qts, just like some people on the internet. I don't trust the dealer. In this case, the dealer was wrong. As far as oil, I'm not brand specific, so I'll choose an oil that is LL-01. When the dealer was doing free oil changes, they used BMW 5w30 w zero issues. If castrol LL01 is cheaper than BMW, I'll go with that. Thanks for all your help

Originally Posted By: jayg

I asked the dealer and the dude told me he thinks it's 7 qts, just like some people on the internet. I don't trust the dealer. In this case, the dealer was wrong. As far as oil, I'm not brand specific, so I'll choose an oil that is LL-01. When the dealer was doing free oil changes, they used BMW 5w30 w zero issues. If castrol LL01 is cheaper than BMW, I'll go with that. Thanks for all your help

Yep, exactly. As for dealer, you won't believe answers I get. With BMW's once they are out of warranty it si important to find VERY good Indy mechanic.
As for 7qt, he was probably referring to N55 engine. Question is, wether they overfilled your engine.
Like they say, if you want to do it right, do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back