Crazy price for trans fluid and freon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the Honda dealer picking up some parts and was talking to the parts guy.

He said that the transmission fluid for the 9 speed trans on the new fully loaded Pilot is $50 a quart!!!

And, that the freon in it is some new stuff that's $120 a lb!!!

yikes! I'm definitely not buying a new Pilot!

If the freom is R-1234YF, wholesale is $66-70/pound, so $120 sounds about right for retail, Honeywell has a monopoly. Chalk up another one for our wonderful EPA, guess R134A (which replaced the alleged ozone destroying R12) was still too dangerous!

Caution-Dealer bashing thread ahead!

AGAIN!

Last edited:
The freon must be the same stuff that Chrysler has been putting in there cars lately, I think the number is R 1234. We do not have a A/C machine for that at my work so when ever I have to replace a condenser on a new Chrysler we have to send the car next door to the dealer for a evac and recharge.

Don't blame the EPA. I's our European friends that came up with this great idea! EPA just borrowed it.

The price will come down as more new cars are rolled off the line with it. Then 134 will shoot up in price like R12 did.

Originally Posted By: willbur
Don't blame the EPA. I's our European friends that came up with this great idea! EPA just borrowed it.

Yep. This is Europe's fault. EU made car makers switch so US cars are getting it too.

So what is the deal with R1234? They using different gauges and schrader valves again?

I can ONLY see a new freon IF it enables smaller systems with better performance.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
So what is the deal with R1234? They using different gauges and schrader valves again?

I can ONLY see a new freon IF it enables smaller systems with better performance.

Solstice is very similar to a propane molecule, except that it's been modified for reduced flammability. *In theory* it should retain some of the good properties of propane, lower head pressure, less HP wasted. But the reason why EU required change was for reduced ozone depletion potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back