tire plug problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one of those plugs when you shove the awl into the tire and reem it out so you can push the plug in. Well I guess I don't weigh enough or something because I can lift my whole body onto the reemer and it won't go into the hole. This is just for a trailer tire that had a nail in it. I wouldn't do this on a vehicle tire.

Any tips? I didn't think it was going to be this difficult.

You need to use lube on the plug. If after you lube the plug and still can't get it in, let the tire pressure out of the tire.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
You need to use lube on the plug. If after you lube the plug and still can't get it in, let the tire pressure out of the tire.

He's having trouble with the awl, not the plug.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have one of those plugs when you shove the awl into the tire and reem it out so you can push the plug in. Well I guess I don't weigh enough or something because I can lift my whole body onto the reemer and it won't go into the hole. This is just for a trailer tire that had a nail in it. I wouldn't do this on a vehicle tire.

Was the nail really tiny? If so take a drill bit and drill the hole bigger (but still smaller than the awl). Make sure you follow the same angle!

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Was the nail really tiny? If so take a drill bit and drill the hole bigger (but still smaller than the awl). Make sure you follow the same angle!

The hole practically closes itself up. Yes it was one of those skinny nails. I thought about it, but I didn't want to get it too big and ruin the tire. I'll give it a try. I'll use an 1/8" bit.

Originally Posted By: Kool1

Like grease? silicone?

You need to follow the hole with the reamer. The rubber cement makes a good lube.the plug is uncured rubber and will vulcanize to the tire so don't use any lube that would prevent the vulcanizing process

+ 1 ... No grease - use that sealer - it tends to dry up in the tube after punched - so get more.
I normally grab a second kit since you can mess them up on a tough tire ...

The hole practically closes itself up. Yes it was one of those skinny nails. I thought about it, but I didn't want to get it too big and ruin the tire. I'll give it a try. I'll use an 1/8" bit.

Yes. 1/8" is what I usually use. Make sure you know the angle of entry and follow it.

Use the rubber cement on the plug itself. It lubes it and helps keep water from infiltrating the plug and tire layers.

What is no longer available is what you need....a "self vulcanizing" rubber patch from within.

The Harbor Freight tire tool (the red pipe you mount on your garage floor). Pop the bead, gain access to the puncture, roughen it, stick the patch (a pad, really), set it alight for 5 seconds (it comes dampened with flammable glue), put it out, reset tire, fill it with air and go.

No more. They were perfect for small holes.

Last time I used one was my friend's last one. He picked up the smallest gauge FISHHOOK you've ever seen. The tire really didn't need to be fixed by enlarging the hole to accept a tool.

What? No one saying how irresponsible/illegal/wicked/stingy/ghetto etc this all is?

Never happen on a British website, perhaps because you havn't been able to get the plug kit there for decades. Tyre industry said it wasn't profitable...I mean, safe.

I used loads of them on my Sierra and never had a failure. Small holes I drilled out, sometimes using the nail that made them.

Use it or loose it, but you might loose it anyway.

Last edited:

What kingcake said.

Have used walmart tire plugs twice, no problems so far. Both times the hole was near the sidewall, plugs have held up fine. Make sure you use the cement.

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
When I use these, I need to twist the reamer back and forth to get it to go in.

It says not to twist it in the instructions. I had my brother help me and he couldn't get it and he weighs like 275 pounds. I'll take it to discount tire then. Although I'm sure they will refuse to patch it because the tread is at the wear bar, which is the whole purpose as to why I even tried this.

Last edited by a moderator:
and he couldn't get it and he weighs like 275 pounds. I'll take it to discount tire then. Although I'm sure they will refuse to patch it because the tread is at the wear bar.

Wow, how tall is he? Iirc, you weigh half of that.

Originally Posted By: mister_two
Have used walmart tire plugs twice, no problems so far. Both times the hole was near the sidewall, plugs have held up fine. Make sure you use the cement.

+1, I just had WM do the plug which happened shortly after buying the tires. This was 40k miles ago and no issues.

Yeah I weigh 120. I don't know he's like 5'10. I have no idea why it's so hard, must be the tire. I see guys on the internet plug tires and they push them in like it's nothing.

Does it matter if the tread is at the wear bars? It's just a trailer tire. It's nice and evenly worn, so it still has a few miles left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back