Ruger LC9 S Fails to Eject

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Doesn't do a complete stovepipe but does block the action. Mostly Aguila 115 grain. Never does it on Aguila 124 grain. Just annoying that I have to use the 124. Not a really big issue for a while though as I have 500 rounds. Needless to say I won't carry if for now. A shame bc its my favorite 9. The G43 and LCP will just have to do.
And no I'm not riding the slide or limp wristing.

Would be interesting to compare the muzzle velocity to compare energies and if the rounds are just not hot enough and short cycle your pistola. Have you tried some other hotter personal defense rounds? I like to shoot 9's for target but prefer 115grain aguila in 45 for interior and 230 grain for other

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Would be interesting to compare the muzzle velocity to compare energies and if the rounds are just not hot enough and short cycle your pistola. Have you tried some other hotter personal defense rounds? I like to shoot 9's for target but prefer 115grain aguila in 45 for interior and 230 grain for other

Yea..I thought of that. I guess if the 124 grain continues to have no problems that is the answer.

Last edited:
Usually 124 grain loads have the edge in muzzle energy and cycling power. These micro locked breach pistols tend to be more finicky with ammo than their larger counterparts. If the gun runs like a top on 124, then you are just going to be stuck using that load for that brand.

If you want to run 115, I would look at the European brands for practice ammo. Some of the North American FMJ rounds tend to be underloaded a bit. Fiochhi is usually a good one to look at for an alternative that is usually loaded warmer. Perhaps Seller and Bellot would be another that is readily available.

Last edited:
A friend had a brand new Gold Cup .45 which wouldn't cycle at all on target cartridges. Military FMJ worked just fine.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
A friend had a brand new Gold Cup .45 which wouldn't cycle at all on target cartridges. Military FMJ worked just fine.

Luger pistols were notorious for not cycling properly unless they were fed warm military spec loads. So many ammo companies underload a bit for economy or safety reasons sometimes (8mm mauser especially)

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
....So many ammo companies underload a bit for economy or safety reasons sometimes (8mm mauser especially)

The reason for weak factory loads in 8 MM Mauser, is because of the large variation in bore diameter. 8 MM Mauser barrels can range anywhere from 0.318", 0.3205/0.321", and 0.323" diameters. So most ammo makers under load it, in order to prevent dangerous pressure spikes should a .321 or .323 bullet wind up getting launched down a .318 barrel.

It's much the same with modern Weatherby factory ammo. Since Remington and other makers started chambering their bolt action rifles for the Weatherby Magnum line of cartridges, and not freeboring the chambers the way Weatherby does, Weatherby factory ammo has been systematically downloaded. So much so that some of the older .340 Weatherby factory ammunition, (yellow and brown box with the Tiger on it), actually has more zip than currently produced .338-378 Weatherby Magnum factory ammo. I have a Weatherby Accumark in .338-378 Weatherby, and factory ammunition for it is horribly anemic. The only way to achieve what that cartridge is capable of is through handloading.

My wife has an LC9S that eats pretty much any 115 grain we put in it. I would try a different brand of ammo. We have used Remington, Blazer, TulAmmo and others without issue. You might also try a different magazine as well. I had a pistol that would stove pipe all the time and I discovered it was a bad magazine. Replaced the magazine and no more stove pipes.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
....So many ammo companies underload a bit for economy or safety reasons sometimes (8mm mauser especially)

The reason for weak factory loads in 8 MM Mauser, is because of the large variation in bore diameter. 8 MM Mauser barrels can range anywhere from 0.318", 0.3205/0.321", and 0.323" diameters. So most ammo makers under load it, in order to prevent dangerous pressure spikes should a .321 or .323 bullet wind up getting launched down a .318 barrel.

It's much the same with modern Weatherby factory ammo. Since Remington and other makers started chambering their bolt action rifles for the Weatherby Magnum line of cartridges, and not freeboring the chambers the way Weatherby does, Weatherby factory ammo has been systematically downloaded. So much so that some of the older .340 Weatherby factory ammunition, (yellow and brown box with the Tiger on it), actually has more zip than currently produced .338-378 Weatherby Magnum factory ammo. I have a Weatherby Accumark in .338-378 Weatherby, and factory ammunition for it is horribly anemic. The only way to achieve what that cartridge is capable of is through handloading.

Yep those are the reason for those you talk about. Another round more germane to the discussion is the good old 10mm. Most of it you buy is really loaded closer to 40 S&W specs than the Norma loads. Not only is it for economy, but some guns in 10mm tend to start breaking parts when you give them a diet of full Norma spec loads. Colt Deltas used to have a nasty habit of breaking the swinging link I recall and the EAA witness has seen slide stop pins crack or break.

Similar experience to DerbyDave, my father has the older LC9 and a close friend has a LC9S Pro. My fathers gun has no less than 4,000 rounds through it and my friends Pro has about 500. All makes of ammo in my fathers, mostly 115gr. My friends Pro has been feed nothing but 115gr reman ammo from American marksman that he got at a killer deal on a bulk 1,000 rd buy. Sell the ammo you have and get something different, or use in another gun, or use it as training ammo to work on your skills at clearing a malfunction.

Probably just the ammo. Should eat any American made 115/124gr practice ammo like candy. If it does the same thing on UMC, WWB, Blazer brass it needs to go back to Ruger

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Check over on Rugerforum.com in the semi-auto forum. Lots of fanboys but lots of good info too.

How many rounds through it Al? May just need more breaking in.

Thanks I will do that. I have around 500 rounds through it. I may try another mag. Or I may just send it back to Ruger.

Thanks for all of the comments.

Underpowered ammo and/or limp wristing. Run some 124+P Gold Dots through that baby and I bet it functions with authority.

If I got a dollar every time someone said they were NOT limp wristing, and they actually were, I'd be millionaire. No one wants to admit they are limp wristing, as it sound effeminate and opposite of manly.

Don't know if your limp wristing or not as I'm not there. Just make sure to hold your hand as high up on the back strap as you can get it.

+1 on trying Italian made Fiochi or S&B ammo. Both are European spec, loaded to CIP specifications, and will be hotter than most American ammo. S&B is my absolute favorite plinker ammo, especially in .380. Hot, clean burning, lacquer sealed primers, just good stuff.

Mine did that with cheap 9mm ammo but with defense ammo is is fine. Plus I was limp wristing. That said, I have seen some guys have extractor issues with a LC9s and Ruger repaired it for free.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Underpowered ammo and/or limp wristing. Run some 124+P Gold Dots through that baby and I bet it functions with authority.

If I got a dollar every time someone said they were NOT limp wristing, and they actually were, I'd be millionaire. No one wants to admit they are limp wristing, as it sound effeminate and opposite of manly.

Understand. Its certainly possible. I know I have a tendency to force my weak hand up as tightly as possible (which is good) but with this pistol I have a tendency to ride the slide. I will be 100 certain I did not do either of these things. Thanks.

Tiny auto with very weak ammo. There's your problem. A review listed 1075 fps out of a 5 inch Beretta 92. That stuff is hanging out with .380. The good news is you can use it to work on clearing malfunctions.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Don't know if your limp wristing or not as I'm not there. Just make sure to hold your hand as high up on the back strap as you can get it.

+1 on trying Italian made Fiochi or S&B ammo. Both are European spec, loaded to CIP specifications, and will be hotter than most American ammo. S&B is my absolute favorite plinker ammo, especially in .380. Hot, clean burning, lacquer sealed primers, just good stuff.

If he's limp-wristing with 115s, it surely won;t get any better using 124+P.
Odds are he's either not lubricating properly, or he's got a malfunction mag or improper fit ammo.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
If he's limp-wristing with 115s, it surely won;t get any better using 124+P.

Not sure if your serious, but just so you are aware, 124+p recoils with a gusto. It has enough power to overcome limp wristing in most cases. 124+p will be a lot more reliable for a person that is having issues with 115 grain bunny shart loads.

Originally Posted By: Al
Doesn't do a complete stovepipe but does block the action. Mostly Aguila 115 grain. Never does it on Aguila 124 grain. Just annoying that I have to use the 124. Not a really big issue for a while though as I have 500 rounds. Needless to say I won't carry if for now. A shame bc its my favorite 9. The G43 and LCP will just have to do.
And no I'm not riding the slide or limp wristing.

What's the lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back