Drums warped out of box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I had that idea myself. Here's the result. Into the amazon.com return bin. These were OEM ACDelco drums, the OE line, not the Professional line.

Edit: Lucky me, the return period on amazon.com is over!

Find out what the ACDelco warranty is, and how it is exercised. If it is still covered and they say return to retailer, call Amazon by phone (lately it's click a button and they call you), and read them the ACDelco warranty. They'll cover it via a "one time exception", whatever that means, even if it's heavy. I know, I just did this with Amazon on bad new shocks.

I actually called ACDelco and they're getting in touch with amazon.com to issue a refund. Side note, does using a parking brake when the drums are hot (i.e. after driving) cause warped drums?

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
just curious where you are getting your rotors and drums from.

I have yet to put on any that are warped out of the box or cause a vibration issue.

Same here, but I haven't done any drums in a while... most stuff comes form WorldPac.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I actually called ACDelco and they're getting in touch with amazon.com to issue a refund. Side note, does using a parking brake when the drums are hot (i.e. after driving) cause warped drums?

I'm glad to hear it's getting worked out.

No, it does not cause warped drums. I might cause imprinting, where more braking material is embedded in the wearing surface at some spots than others. To do this, you'd have to get the drums very, very, very hot first. Practically speaking, drums are usually in the back now, where they do very little work.

It's practically impossible to warp drums or rotors from heat. It's the very thing they are made to withstand. They either come eccentric, get mounted crooked, and/or get an uneven build-up of braking material from imprinting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back