Honda 1.5T & 0/20 spec...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dblshock
do you think the Honda brand filter is worth $6, I can go Quaker State white for $2 or Fram Ultra Syn for $8.50

Worth it at $6? Sure there are cheaper ones out there, question should be if you would chance a cheaper one for less than $6 that may or may not be to OEM specs. To me $6 is cheap peace of mind, they are all I use for my Honda/Acura fleet.

Originally Posted By: supton
If it's a turbo motor I'd go full synthetic. Yes, I know there are motors out there that are turbo and tolerate conventional very well. But if it was me, I wouldn't like to find out if "my" turbo was one of them. Or was not one of them.

+1

After working on several Volvos, it became clear to me that 3000 miles on conventional oil leads to heavy varnish.

I thought I read this turbo is very low strung with liquid cooled internal manifold, although boost listed is 16lbs.

•Cylinder head with the built-in water-cooled exhaust manifold

•Sodium-cooled exhaust valves

◦Mono scroll turbo system with electric wastegate and intercooler allows for turbo boost to be built up with relatively small throttle openings and low rpm.

Honda probably conducted the EPA emissions certification on the lightest 0W-20 they could find to use (perhaps their own?). The law states that the OEM has to do everything in their power to ensure the engine continues to be run on the same lubricant. In other words, they can't use a 0W-10 to qualify, and then turn around and run 5W-40 in the endurance race. They can't run a super light oil for emissions testing, and then recommend a 5W-40 "for best engine protection" in the owner manual.

They have to recommend the same grade of oil used during EPA certification. That's the basis for the claim that 0W-20 is "required by the EPA", or "required for fuel economy". Indirectly, it is, but only because that's what was used during certification...not because EPA mandates a certain viscosity grade.

Personally, I'd use any of the mainstream 0W-20s available (Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, etc) and be content knowing that you're using the best oil reasonable for your small turbocharged engine. If there are any oils that you can be pretty SURE of (regarding not sludging, not varnishing, etc), it's going to be a good synthetic like any of the above. If the question will always be in the back of your mind if you use 5W-20, then it's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back