Filter tool to remove oil filter for 05 Sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time to change my own oil (in decades). Gotta say its more difficult than the "you can change your own oil" videos say it is. Everything was fine till it came time to take the filter off.

Got the fram ph3614 diameter from Fram's website, matched it with this filter wrench: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...l+filter+wrench

For whatever reason, its just not working. At this point, I don't know if it is me or the filter itself being twisted on too hard. Whether trying to access it from the top or from below (it is up on ramps), the filter wrench will twist, but doesn't bring the filter around with it.

One reason why I'm doing this is to save a few bucks, so I really don't want to go out and buy one filter tool after another. Is there a particular tool that I know can work with this?

Will the one I bought not work with the sienna for some reason?

At this point any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I'll second Trav's recommendation for the Lisle, this one:

25981259_lis_lis63600_pri_detl.jpg

I've heard one or two cases where the 'three pronged' gripper thing another person linked failed, not one ever where the Lisle failed. It's only useful for loosening filters though - you'll need a conventional wrench to put it on anything past hand tight. It works because when you crank on it the two sides dig into the filter. I'll never use anything else anymore (for removing a filter) - none of this hammer and screwdriver nonsense, it's not needed and just messy. The Lisle will do your job. :^)

Last edited:
Oil Filter Wrenches / Toyota, Lexus, Scion Oil Filter Wrench For 1.8L 4 Cylinder Engines

Toyota, Lexus, Scion Oil Filter Wrench For 1.8L 4 Cylinder Engines

https://www.motivxtools.com = Go here and buy the new tool for Toyota. Price varies from $20 - $25 by which one you need (4 cyl, etc)

Carl
13 RAV4
03 Camry
Mobil 1

This is the only tool that works and will not break. Filter housing is tight, made that way by toyota. Use an extension pipe to give you more leverage in turning with 3/8 rachet.

You do not want to destroy housing as all new Toyota's now use canister filters. Destroy it and you go buy a new canister. New wrench grabs tabs on canister for removal.

Carl

Last edited:
If the Lisle fits (and it should), that wont break either, and it will destructively remove the filter if there's no alternative. I had to use a 1/2" breaker bar on one super stuck filter - didnt affect the Lisle any. The filter was cut into by the removal force - it CANT slip. I can't imagine anything designed for nondestructive removal to possibly grip that tight - at some point the little ridges and stuff will slip and round off, just like a hex nut is more likely to round off with 12 point sockets.

Plus it works on a range of cars. (they have two sizes that cover nearly everything)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Fram has a few different removal tools available at Walmart for a decent price including these pliers:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FRAM-Oil-Filter-Pliers/16776200

edit I see their other ones don't have decent reviews and the pliers don't have any reviews.

May the automotive odds be ever in your favor. I found this at a local WM and it worked like a charm. 15 seconds of twisting as compared to hours of frustration and uncertainty. I'd say its worth 9 bucks.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: columnshift
I'll second Trav's recommendation for the Lisle, this one:

25981259_lis_lis63600_pri_detl.jpg

I've heard one or two cases where the 'three pronged' gripper thing another person linked failed, not one ever where the Lisle failed. It's only useful for loosening filters though - you'll need a conventional wrench to put it on anything past hand tight. It works because when you crank on it the two sides dig into the filter. I'll never use anything else anymore (for removing a filter) - none of this hammer and screwdriver nonsense, it's not needed and just messy. The Lisle will do your job. :^)
i use this tool and a 3 inch extention with a rachet from the top to get these filters off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back