rearview mirror conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have an '03 Sequoia in San Antonio Texas and an '04 Sequoia in Dallas Texas. Pick-n-Pull. I don't know if the rear view mirrors will fit an '01 Sequoia, but they're $6.99 each. It seems to be a rare car as far as salvage yards go. If it was an '01 Camry, they got three of them in the Fresno CA yard right now.

You should be able to see the mirror button glue from the outside of the windshield. I am thinking heat applied to the glued area from the outside might be enough to get it to loosen up. Another person on the inside could be using a razor scraper blade trying to get the button off while the heat is being applied.

Heat from a hair dryer and some gentle persuasion from a flexible and thin putty knife did the trick. A little glass came off but some epoxy should handle that before the new mounting tab goes on. Thanks for the feedback!

Please let us know if the new mirror falls off in a couple of weeks.

My experiences regluing mirrors (from LONG AGO) have not been positive...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Just use a little heat on the metal tab that attaches to the windshield. You don't need to heat the glass, just get the tab hot enough to release the adhesive. A small butane torch will work just fine and help concentrate the heat where you need it. Make sure you protect the headliner from the heat if it's close.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Pay the money at the dealer... Let them break the glass on their dime.

For those of you who are so helpless that you can't do something that simple yourself then the dealer might be a good idea. But for most of us who have at least a minimal amount of skill, it's such a simple little job that paying the dealer to do it would be a waste of money, time, and be downright foolish.

Who are you calling helpless? I merely suggested a solution, and a valid one to boot.

And! It's the easiest solution. Toss someone the keys and let them figure it out.

Yep salvage yard then have a independent glass shop to the install. One that has good reviews on yelp.

I don't think you need a glass shop to install a mirror, as long as the metal tab is still stuck to the windshield.

Which the OP removed so he could install an aftermarket mirror...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back