When you were younger once, did you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the needle of my 1970 Grand Prix's speedometer somewhere between 130 and 140. My best guess under the conditions was 137. The speedo was at least accurate at 91 according to a dragstrip timing system.

Later, I had a 1987 Caprice ex-police car, with a stock, carbed 350 and "certified" speedometer. It seemed to take forever to creep up to 115 with the pedal floored. The Chevy handled a whole lot better than the GP, but wasn't as fun to drive.

I count myself lucky to have survived that kind of driving, and to have grown up in the great wide open, where you could see the road a mile or more ahead. Where I live now, there would be no way to top out a car without endangering a bunch of other people's lives.

Absolutely!

At pre-driving ages I went joyriding in mom's 1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager with the 3.3. I hit the 108 MPH limiter a few times on that.

Looking back I question my judgment of taking the family van to triple digit speeds in an un-lit area that was nothing but woods and had deer running amok. Then I justify it in that I gave the family van an Italian tune-up as my mom was a granny on the go pedal. I think she may have floored her car maybe once in any of the time I rode with her as a kid and she is the type to be scared to have the tach go past 4,000 RPM. When I go visit I usually use her car so I give it a good couple runs while I am there.

We still talk about this at family gatherings now 20 years later......yes I got caught joyriding and I am still not living it down 20 years later.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I thought even the 9C1s then could only get the TBI 305?

I just found some notes I copied from a Chilton or Haynes manual--VIN code 6 was a police 350-4V in 1987, 205 hp and 290 ft-lbs, both at 4200. Judging from reactions I got at parts stores, I don't think the regular Caprice had a 350 option that year.

It had been a sheriff's car and then a general county-use car. I got it from the guy who bought it from the county.

It had oil and p/s coolers, big swaybars, 3.08 posi, real temp, oil pressure and volt gauges installed below the radio, and patched holes where the spotlight, rear antenna, and roof lights had been. And dog dish hubcaps.

I only drove it for a few years, but that car was a big step up from the 27-year-old Duster it replaced. It was also the first car I owned with working a/c and cruise control. A long trip in the Duster felt like manual labor. The same trip in the Caprice was a ride.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
My 1986 Cutlass Supreme speedometer topped out at 85mph/140kmh

Same here with my 86 T Type!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back