Need Help with Oil Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

I don't know how long you've been around, but it could be you remember the Fina brand (petrofina) or came across Elf oils. All Total now. fina operated and owned gas stations in the US in the previous century. Actually, they might still exist under that name.

Some days it feels like I've been around forever, but I'll be 50 in December. Been involved in all things combustion engine related since I could speak the words

I recall the "Elf" logo but never so much as saw a quart of it anywhere except maybe on a road trip to the East as a kid- and Ive seen lots of oil changes in my life.

Grandad on dads side had 1K acre farm w/livestock and associated machinery, AND owned an Oldsmobile dealership AND an Oliver tractor dealership AND a gas station my grandma made sandwiches at (quickee lunch counter.)

Ive had performance toys since I've been 7. Have a grip of vehicles toys now, and am an owner in a boat manufacturer/repair shop.

Ive seen more oil come out of vehicles that many small derricks will pull from the ground and sent away 110 gallons more to recycle last week.

Same with Total -I only started noticing it when I started here as a lurker.

I just don't see this product on, shelves, on land, in water or in the circles I run and play in.

Internationally I hold 2 passports, in my day job I run a global sales organization, am 100K member on several airlines.
Id say Im better travelled than most although I don't really get t play when I travel as its all work, but I seek out gearheads round the world.

Its utterly bizarre to me as well how stuff like this happens, but thats the magic of forums and being able to learn new things every day.

UD

Last edited:
Bradenton oil sells Fina in bulk and has Total brand synthetic in bottles. However, I have never seen it in any US parts store. I don't see the appeal in using it when a major brand sold in the USA meets the spec.

Gasoline engines almost always higher exhaust gas temperatures than diesels, but with liquid cooled turbo bearings and modern synthetic oils, coking isn't a problem. I suppose if the diesel goes into regen mode very frequently, exhaust gas temperatures could be a problem.

Some diesel engines develop VNT vanes that get stuck, but that is caused by exhaust soot and not having full throttle every once in a while to keep the VNT vanes in their full range of motion. I suppose someone could assume that the black stuff is coked up oil that is failing to lube the turbocharger.

I find it interesting that your mechanic says he is very familiar with the 2.1 Bluetec, as very few Benz models have one, and it has only been about 3-4 years since the first one rolled was sold in the USA. Maybe the V6 Bluetec found in 2009 and later Sprinters gave this mechanic the idea that the 2.1 Bluetec will have problems.

From the home of Total (lol), I can say Total doesn't make much advertising, but is prevalent in most of the store (or the Elf brand). In every supermarket, store parts, many garage, you can find Total products, or Elf, or both. Motul is way less represented.

I don't remember the Fina brand much, maybe I wasn't paying attention in the past? But for me it has always be the Total-Fina-Elf group, and now it's more and more Total and nothing else. I've seen some Total employees paychecks at work, and believe me, I wish I'd work for Total!

On the 2,1 Bluetec, these engine are considered very reliable here. Maybe not the 250 CDI since we don't see them much, but the 200 and 220 CDI are wide spread and have good reputation...does it mean anything? VW TDI have good reputation too
laugh.gif

FINA was got o oil for BMW some times ago, until I think mid 90's, when they made a switch to Castrol.
Do not get me wrong Uncle Dave, but Total is well advertised outside the U.S. and in Canada they had(still have) gas stations. It is well respected company, and buying product from them is same like buying Castrol or Mobil1, you cannot go wrong.
They are go to oil for PSA corporation, Renault and Nissan in Europe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back