5w-30 MB 229.51 Alternatives?

I hvae a 2019 Ssangyong Musso D22DTR Diesel 2.2L with a DPF, that is calling for a 5w-30 in the MB 229.51 or MB 229.52 spec.

A 5w-30 in aus seems a bit low, i have always run my cars with a 5w-40/10w-40.

would it be ok to use a 40 oil ?

or even a 15w-40?

Not sure if running an oil not that spec till cause any DPF issues though...

1685272510976.jpg

Not sure what availability in Aus is for these, but in the US these are a few commonly available options that have those approvals:
Pennzoil Euro L 5W30
Pennzoil Euro LX 0W30
Mobil 1 ESP 5W30
Mobil 1 ESP 0W30

Reactions: wlk
All the 5w-30 MB spec oils are averaging around $10 per L when on sale down here in aus.

Hoping to find a cheaper suitable alternative

The grade is irrelevant with those approvals. The approval specifies a minimum HT/HS so just buy one that has the appropriate approval. Ignore the grade designation.
Does the Sulphated Ash matter for DPF's?

Assuming you mean High Temperature/High Shear (HT/HS)

All the 5w-30 MB spec oils are averaging around $10 per L when on sale down here in aus.

Hoping to find a cheaper suitable alternative
You can use 5w40 with MB 229.51 approval. I use Castrol in my Rexton with 2.7 lump.

what oil do most truckers use in your area. go with that. At some point in life you realize all these specs become nonsensical.

what oil do most truckers use in your area. go with that. At some point in life you realize all these specs become nonsensical.
No no no.
229.51/52 require a SA level of .8 or less. The truckers will be using an ash level of 1.0.
It is all about the spec.

I'd only run mid or low SAPS oil in that 0.8% ash or less, if you can find something with BMW LL-04 or VW 504/507 approval cheaper that would be an OK substitute for Mercedez-Benz 229.51/229.52

Interesting to see that NAPA now offer three oils that are approved by Mercedes.

The Mannol looks interesting if it is available in OZ. Very cheap in UK. It also has MB approval. Also the genuine Mercedes branded Oil is very reasonably priced here. Try an Oz dealer and ask for the 'Lube Cubes'.

Petronas is a Malaysian manufacturer. Is that available in Oz? Good quality oil. UK Jeep main dealers use Petronas products.

There are some XW30 oils carrying MB229.51.52 that have higher HTHS than some XW40 oil. So, the grade is ABSOLUTELY irrelevant!
Another thing is, yes, Sulfated Ash has EVERYTHING to do with DPF. Lower SAPS oils prolong DPF clogging (which is inevitable). Using lower SAPS oil actually dramatically prolongs the life of DPF where in most cases (I say most, not all) people will replace cars before DPF.
IMO, pick up Mobil1 ESP 5W30, or if cheapest approved MB229.51 if you are looking to pay less.

Mobil Super 3000 Formula V 5W30

There are some XW30 oils carrying MB229.51.52 that have higher HTHS than some XW40 oil. So, the grade is ABSOLUTELY irrelevant!
Another thing is, yes, Sulfated Ash has EVERYTHING to do with DPF. Lower SAPS oils prolong DPF clogging (which is inevitable). Using lower SAPS oil actually dramatically prolongs the life of DPF where in most cases (I say most, not all) people will replace cars before DPF.
IMO, pick up Mobil1 ESP 5W30, or if cheapest approved MB229.51 if you are looking to pay less.

This was my thought process re the DPF - the ash content will make it clean itself more or possibly block it, the musso does automatic burn offs in the background, so far so good. - I didn't know about the HTHS though, that makes me feel a bit better.

This was my thought process re the DPF - the ash content will make it clean itself more or possibly block it, the musso does automatic burn offs in the background, so far so good. - I didn't know about the HTHS though, that makes me feel a bit better.
So, two things:
1. Soot is burnt. Sulfated Ash is a metallic byproduct that cannot be burnt. Eventually, it will clog DPF.
2. Minimum HTHS for MB229.51/52 oils is 3.5cP. For example, Mobil1 0W40, widely used on the track, is 3.6cP.
Some XW30 oils have HTHS in the 3.6-3.7cP range.
Temperature is not an issue. Your oil temperature is maintained by the cooling system. Altitude is what is tricky in a cooling engine.

1. Soot is burnt. Sulfated Ash is a metallic byproduct that cannot be burnt. Eventually, it will clog DPF.
Wow - did not know that, so the dpf regen process's doesn't remove this particulate?

Some of the oils mentioned in this thread are not readily available in aus, or are very expensive.

Common brands here are Penrite, Nulon, Gulf Western, Valvoline

2. Minimum HTHS for MB229.51/52 oils is 3.5cP. For example, Mobil1 0W40, widely used on the track, is 3.6cP.
Some XW30 oils have HTHS in the 3.6-3.7cP range.
Assuming the higher the number, the better - will give it better resistance to sheering at high tempretures.

Back