MB GL350 BlueTec (om642) oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kschachn
I have no idea what SK/E9 approval is. What I posted was copied and paste it directly out of the online Sprinter manual. Do you have something different?

And any dude that creates a website with walls of text saying essentially nothing and then wants to charge you $200 to get the answer is worth nothing in my book. Sorry.

HDEO SK which means it meets ACEA E9. These are the latest diesel oil ratings. This thread is a diesel oil thread I thought.
Did you read his entire website? I haven't paid anything and the OP didn't pay anything and talked to him and received information via email. If I had a serious engine problem, was under warranty, and the dealer was fighting me, I would seriously consider paying him for the references he has.

But I'm still confused, your 2019 Sprinter owner's manual gives that spec? It's different than the one online?

And no I do not have one personally but we have three of them at work, I'm responsible for telling the maintenance person what to buy for oil changes.

But I'm still confused, your 2019 Sprinter owner's manual gives that spec? It's different than the one online?

And no I do not have one personally but we have three of them at work, I'm responsible for telling the maintenance person what to buy for oil changes.

No I don't have a Sprinter. I have an 08 ML 320 diesel. I'm just going on his quote from the manual. If you are responsible for those Sprinters then you should go by the book. Are they still in warranty? Do you use Mobil 1 esp? What OCI's do they use? You may want to check out Valvoline MST syn oils as they meet MB specs and are cheaper than Mobil 1. Not widely available but can be ordered from NAPA on sale.

Originally Posted by loneryder
If you are responsible for those Sprinters then you should go by the book. Are they still in warranty? Do you use Mobil 1 esp? What OCI's do they use? You may want to check out Valvoline MST syn oils as they meet MB specs and are cheaper than Mobil 1. Not widely available but can be ordered from NAPA on sale.

You'll probably laugh but we've been buying oil at the dealer. The price for a commercial account is very reasonable and they have it on the shelf. One is still under warranty.

And the OCI is short because these vehicles are used for airport ramp duty and are short-tripped in both summer and the depths of winter. We go by time more than miles.

Well this thread certainly took a slight turn.

About 1,200 miles in on the Amsoil and I'm getting code 111500, the regeneration frequency of the DPF is not ok. After monitoring it for several hundred miles, it appears to be completing a regen every 70-250 miles. I'm not sure if the Injector Cleaner + Cetane booster had a role in that or not, but it looks like even though I'm burning half the oil I was, and the sulfated ash content is 1% vs the 0.8% required, I'll be dumping this oil soon in favor for a 229.51 approved low saps oil.

The Ash content of the DPF has been a steady 0.002 lbs all along, but I guess it's having to regen too often to maintain that. I've been watching live data of the differential pressure too, as I've heard that's what actually initiates the regen, is that correct? I'm also not sure what would be considered high?

I suspect that my turbo may be what's causing the high oil consumption, but I've read people replace that w no improvement. My impeller has a little bit of play, but the tech said it was no biggie. I've read there should be none, and the turbo I have from the junkyard motor has none, although the spare is filthy. I'm wondering if the spare I have is an exact match though. GTB2056V is the spare I have, is that what comes on the 2010 GL350?

Last edited:
Could be even a sticky/clogged injector(s).....since you have DPF you dont see that soot coming out of your pipe...

Plug your OBD and see "correction factors" on your injectors....

If it would be turbo.....you will notice that in decreased performance of your vehicle....

So what is the required Mercedes-Benz approval called out for the vehicle/engine, and which oils carry actual approval? API and ACEA specs are not relevant here, at least to the manual requirements. Mercedes-Benz approval is what is "provided for". All those other certs, approvals and licenses are fine but aren't what Mercedes-Benz dictates in their manual.

I don't work for any oil company. I'm just trying to decipher your post and address some tangents you seem to focus on.

If you look at the 2019 Sprinter OM642 manual, it states to use only oils meeting SK/E9 approval. The oil must have that on the label. It seems that MB has changed their tune. The irony is that they come from the factory with Mobil 1 5-30 esp. I happen to believe Mr. Stephens. It's your right not to. He has spent his whole career working on MB's. When he retired he had so many people calling him that he decided to start charging for advice. He has a lot of info free but if you pay he will serve as your advisor/advocate in trying to get your car fixed.
I ran Mobil 1 5-40esp in mine(no longer available) for 9500 miles, mostly highway. It had a TBN of 2 and high iron. I'm changing to Mobil 1 TDT which meets SK/E9 and has a good amount of zinc for the timing chains. Folks on the Benzworld site have had good service with it and it hasn't clogged up any DPF's.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. Should have said C9 not E9.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Could be even a sticky/clogged injector(s).....since you have DPF you dont see that soot coming out of your pipe...

If it would be turbo.....you will notice that in decreased performance of your vehicle....

They all look to be good, adaptation value was 0 at 250, 800, and 1200 bar. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Taylor said:
Fill was 8.5L, to the top of the dipstick. FWIW it's a used junkyard motor after the previous one seized. We think PO did a poor timing chain replacement. Used motor came w/ 108k mi, and we've put about 19k or so on it. Put new motor mounts, cam sensor, crank sensor, and starter on it during the swap. An EGR valve and timing chain just after. If you google around, high consumption is a common issue on these motors.
/quote]
I've had my 642 for 5 yrs and keep up with the Mb forums. Never heard of excessive oil consumption. I would keep the oil midway between the marks on the dipstick. Too much oil and dirty air filters will cause more blowby at the pcv valve.

I've read at least 2 dozen oil consumption treads on Benz forums alone, not including sprinter or jeep sites. No one ever seems to solve it. As far as halfway up the dipstick, would that imply using a 30w would also be beneficial?

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

After further monitoring it appears there are some adaptations on all cylinders except #4. Is that indicative of leaky injectors?

As an update, still adding oil. At a little over 2k mi, I've topped off 5-6 qt. Idk if the frequent regeneration is burning more than normal, but I've got a new oil separator and new air filters, and I've been running the fill level at half dipstick. Still no drips/puddles in the driveway, but some wetness/oil on the bell housing, and front cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back