5w-30 MB 229.51 Alternatives?

Wow - did not know that, so the dpf regen process's doesn't remove this particulate?

Some of the oils mentioned in this thread are not readily available in aus, or are very expensive.

Common brands here are Penrite, Nulon, Gulf Western, Valvoline
Valvoline should have MB229.51 readily available.
You should have the usual suspects available: Mobil1, Castrol, SHell.

So the MB229.51/52 spec seems to be having a low sulphated ash content and high level of HTHS?

Guessing some oils might meet these requirement's but might not have paid the spec?

Example - Gulf Western Premium Energy SP Engine Oil - 10W-30

Does say Petrol though, no mention of diesel - assuming it might not have the cleaning additives to support a diesel engine but the ash content/HTHS seems fine?

So the MB229.51/52 spec seems to be having a low sulphated ash content and high level of HTHS?

Guessing some oils might meet these requirement's but might not have paid the spec?

Example - Gulf Western Premium Energy SP Engine Oil - 10W-30

Does say Petrol though, no mention of diesel - assuming it might not have the cleaning additives to support a diesel engine but the ash content/HTHS seems fine?
If HTHS is >=3.5 then ok, if not forget.
If 5w30 229.51 price/availability is the issue... well ok. If it's because grade and protection don't worry, most 5w40 after any miles works similar or worst than good 0-5w30s.
I recommend hymemsys resume post #5 for 229.51. Other options are 5w40 505.01 or LL04 or GM Dexos2 DPF or FCA 9.55535-S2 + C3, Ford WSS-M2C-917A or simple C3.

Last edited:
This isn't hard.
Go to the BEVO and find an oil available in Australia.
The HTHS of 3.5 is the key, not x30 or x40. If it doesn't get well below freezing, the W rating is moot.
Google for the spec and you'll come up with oil available in your area.
These are made in Australia and on the BEVO. Others are available in Australia.
ENVIRO+ 5W-40 Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, DANDENONG/AUSTRALIA
EC FORMULA 5W-30 Atlantic Lubricants Pty Ltd, INGLEBURN/AUSTRALIA
ENVIRO PLUS C3 Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, DANDENONG/AUSTRALIA
SYNERGY EURO 5W-30 C3TRITECH LUBRICANTS AND SALES PTY LTD, DANDENONG SOUTH, VICTORIA/AUSTRALIA

This isn't hard.
Go to the BEVO and find an oil available in Australia.
The HTHS of 3.5 is the key, not x30 or x40. If it doesn't get well below freezing, the W rating is moot.
Google for the spec and you'll come up with oil available in your area.
These are made in Australia and on the BEVO. Others are available in Australia.
ENVIRO+ 5W-40 Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, DANDENONG/AUSTRALIA
EC FORMULA 5W-30 Atlantic Lubricants Pty Ltd, INGLEBURN/AUSTRALIA
ENVIRO PLUS C3 Penrite Oil Company Pty Ltd, DANDENONG/AUSTRALIA
SYNERGY EURO 5W-30 C3TRITECH LUBRICANTS AND SALES PTY LTD, DANDENONG SOUTH, VICTORIA/AUSTRALIA
Thank you. The correct answer.

I would not worry about sheering.
or even shearing...

shaun-the-sheep-aardman.gif

What I found interesting;

Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 C3 - HTHS is 2.9
Where are you getting that information, to be C3 it inherently has to have an HTHS above 3.5 otherwise it would be C2, plus the Kinematic viscosity is 11.7 which would imply an HTHS that's up in the 3.5 range (at least using current lubrication formulation technology that would meet MB229.52), I can't find anything about the HTHS, perhaps you read something somewhere that generically stated the HTHS is above 2.9 on the 30 grade and above 3.5 on the 40 grade because that is the basic requirement of SAE J300.

What I found interesting;

Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30 C3 - HTHS is 2.9

Penrite Enviro+ 5W-40 - HTHS is >3.5
Enviro+ 5w30 C3 is HTHS >=3.5, because oil properties and approval VW 504/507. It's compatible with C2 out warranty, but it's not C2.
You have Gulf syn-x 6000 5w-40 C3 too.

Where are you getting that information, to be C3 it inherently has to have an HTHS above 3.5 otherwise it would be C2, plus the Kinematic viscosity is 11.7 which would imply an HTHS that's up in the 3.5 range (at least using current lubrication formulation technology that would meet MB229.52), I can't find anything about the HTHS, perhaps you read something somewhere that generically stated the HTHS is above 2.9 on the 30 grade and above 3.5 on the 40 grade because that is the basic requirement of SAE J300.
I asked penrite in their live chat what their HTHS ratings were for each of those oils and thats what they told me

Enviro+ 5w30 C3 is HTHS >=3.5, because oil properties and approval VW 504/507. It's compatible with C2 out warranty, but it's not C2.
You have Gulf syn-x 6000 5w-40 C3 too.
Except that this oil neither has VW 504/507 approval nor does it even claim it's "suitable for" or "recommended". However it does appear to have actual 229.52 approval.

Last edited:
Back