0W20 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use 0w20 anymore, not since the time I was sitting in traffic and it crawled out of the engine and took a seat next to me...and proceeded to light up a fat blunt.

Now I use 5w20...I even blend 5w30 and 5w20 together. Never had a problem since.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I don't use 0w20 anymore, not since the time I was sitting in traffic and it crawled out of the engine and took a seat next to me...and proceeded to light up a fat blunt.

Now I use 5w20...I even blend 5w30 and 5w20 together. Never had a problem since.

wait....what?

For most engines?

0W16 = 200,000+ mi (115C max temp)

25W70 = 200,000+ mi (0C min temp)

After that your on your own. Most of you are arguing about whether the 700,000 mi 5W20 Taxi would have made it 710,000 on 0W20 or 10W30. I know for a fact 500,000 mi is doable on 0W20 and 20W50.

Dang, I thought it was just me...0w-20 is waaay too 420-friendly to lubricate ANY engine. It'll have you stuffing brownies in there if you let it....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How much damage would 10W-30 do to a 2012 Camry in Florida ? Let's talk about that.
35.gif

None, in fact it might do it some good.

Since it doesn't get all that hot in Florida, how so?

+1
It's all about 'margin of safety' in components protection ...... or margin of high/abrupt load applications.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How much damage would 10W-30 do to a 2012 Camry in Florida ? Let's talk about that.
35.gif

None, in fact it might do it some good.

Since it doesn't get all that hot in Florida, how so?

Canned answer --> "Thicker = Better"

I've often wondered how much outside temperatures really affect the oil temp/viscosity inside an engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng

+1
It's all about 'margin of safety' in components protection ...... or margin of high/abrupt load applications.

This is my point on why to use a heavier oil, it's just a higher margin of safety. 0w20 meets the minimum of oil thickness between metal for maximum fuel economy. Guess it's what is more important to you.

If you never saw this from many different stores you must not shop often.
Today from Amazon and I have seen it at Wallies too many times.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: 007
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
How can 5W-20 be half the price of 0W-20? Answer--one is a conventional and the other a synthetic; care to guess which is which?. Otherwise, all of the major players have them priced the same for the same type--conventional or synthetic.
Because the shelf price indicated $22.98 for the Mobil 1 and $11.88 for the 5 w20 Wally brand both synthetic.
I am talking about the same brands--not different ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back