Weather stripping and paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to cleaning my door jams after some muddy roads last month. I knew this was here but I guess cleaning refreshed my memory. This is right where the weather stripping contacts the door. I typically keep it decently clean and the stripping wiped with silicone... although when I got the truck they were very dry and squeaked badly. This is my 2011 with 81k miles, so warranty isn't in the picture and I plan to DIY even if it will look like I did.

I see it two ways. Lightly sand and degrease followed by matching touch up paint. This may work OK and will be less noticeable. Otherwise I will follow the same process replacing the touch up paint with rustoleum rusty metal primer.

Thoughts? Opinions? Door skins and welds are solid (likely thanks to yearly fluid film).

34oabz4.jpg

28wm59e.jpg

That little speck of rust ? ? ?

I would:
1) Lightly sand
2) Wipe with Navel-Jelly (Home Depot)
3) Self Etching Primer (Rust-o-leum @ Home Depot)
4) Touch-up paint

I also use Fluid Film for undercoating. It's good stuff.

Looks like you don't have any F.F. in the doors.
If there was, it would be creeping out the drain hole.

I spray the F.F. in all the doors, hood and tailgate.

Call 800-392-FORD and complain to the customer relationship center. Mention that you own multiple Fords, your family members own Fords, you recommend Fords to everyone you know, and you're disappointed. They might "goodwill" the repair for you. They will send you to your dealer to have it looked at.

Also I'm not a big fan of FF, certainly not as much as many BITOGers, but I do use it to get inside of doors. How much does everyone put in each door? I ended up using about 1/4 can per door.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Also I'm not a big fan of FF, certainly not as much as many BITOGers, but I do use it to get inside of doors. How much does everyone put in each door? I ended up using about 1/4 can per door.

I would think 1/4 of an (aerisol) can would be plenty, if you used the flexible hose that Atomizes the Fluid Film.
I'm referring to the 18" hose with the 'atomizing' tip.

Last edited:
No, they are heavily FF'd, just washed them before the pic. It's not so much the rust itself as that's just surface rust from the paint failing in that spot

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
Originally Posted By: Ethan1

I would think 1/4 of an (aerisol) can would be plenty, if you used the flexible hose that Atomizes the Fluid Film.
I'm referring to the 18" hose with the 'atomizing' tip.

My mind is blown. I did not know this was available. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back