Sense Check please; $600 to prep and Line-X plate steel bumper?

Hi All,
Can I get a sense check on this please? I have this "Full Plate" all steel bumper for my Tacoma, want to have it coated with bed liner before install. Line-X was my 1st choice. The local dealer quoted "~$600 total" (~$300 to send it out for sandblast and primer powder coat + ~$300 for the Line-X). The Winchester, VA Line-X shop says for adhesion reasons they will only do bare steel bumpers like this if sand blasted and powder coated in primer. $600 is quite a bit more than I had estimated (FWIW local body shop says ~$400 for "Prep", prime and paint). Any feedback would be appreciated.

tempImageP9Mpwl.jpg

It's high, no doubt about it - but from a business owner perspective; it's gotta be priced so it's worthwhile for them to do a small one-of job.

If it were me, I'd buy a HF gravity blaster & go to town on it in the backyard with walnut shells. Then throw it on a couple sawhorses & hit it with that Upol kit off Amazon.

Got a decent air compressor?

It's not high-prep is everything and sand blasting, prep at the body shop are both expensive items. The LineX owner knows all about how to make sure you get proper adhesion and a good job.

I'd clean it up and get a can of undercoating and spray it. I wouldn't spend half the cost of a new bumper just to have it sprayed with bed liner material. That just seems excessive and wasteful to me.

I'd clean it up and get a can of undercoating and spray it. I wouldn't spend half the cost of a new bumper just to have it sprayed with bed liner material. That just seems excessive and wasteful to me.
I totally agree. You can do a quick job and it should look great. No sense in spending $600.00 when you can do it yourself for almost nothing. Use the $600.00 for something else.

$600.00 = wasteful but it would be a professional job. BE CHEAP-it will not last and you have to look at it from 25 feet away.

Just to be clear....
Without getting into a discussion about the "necessity" of this matter, $600 isn't a terrible price considering that it's a "once and done" matter and the PITA factor of the prep work.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I was really close to pulling the trigger on the 6 bill Line-X option, but found an alternate:
https://www.bulletliner.com/
$250 They have a shop ~1hr from my house. Talked to the owner for a bit, they are going to "Scuff it up", prime and then coat (All surfaces, not just the outside). When I drop it off, they are going to do the prep work and sit on it for a few days until they have a whole truck-bed job to do, so I'm not paying $$$ for a relatively small job (I think that's part of the Line-X cost).

Keep in mind that normal bedliner fades very quickly. Hopefully they’re adding the topcoat.

Pretty much done. Bulletliner in Harrisonburg, VA; great service, very reasonable price, end product looks awesome.
Installation was a was harder than I hoped (deep breath before cutting into perfectly good bodywork)

before.jpg

bullet liner coated.jpg

taped off for cut.jpg

carnage.jpg

after.jpg

Does this bumper line-x job come with a lifetime warranty?

I know in my climate, that sucker would start to rust from somewhere eventually.

Bulett Liner says they have a lifetime warranty against cracks, bubbles or peeling. Their bread and butter is truck bed liners I think, not sure how claim with my application would go, but I'm not sweating it too much. (Lots of brine and road salt here to). Bumper is plain steel they primed it before spraying the bed liner, I recon anti-corrosion is no worse than powered coating. I plan on hosing down all the interior cracks and crevices with fluidfim or similar about once a year.

Back