Purolator Boss PBL20252 [Cut Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You know what it is ? Those inlet holes have such sharp burrs, they're cutting into the ADBV !

Purolator can't get anything right !
wtf1_zps7bvq5yth.gif

Please explain, beyond it being somewhat sloppy manufacturing, how rough holes (on the side opposite the oil flows though) and slits in the ADBV will make this filter not do the job it's designed to.

Torn media is not good.
a cut ADBV is not good.
Choked off louvers is not good.

All 3 are sloppy manufacturing ... and it makes for junk people don't want to buy.

Are you listening Purolator/Mann+Hummel?

Those holes are punched out on a press with dies... they aren't actually drilled (that would just take wayyy too long). We make a lot of punch plate screens where I work, and burrs are just a part of the process when you use a punch press. If anybody in their manufacturing/engineering department had even half a brain, there is a very simple remedy to this. It just gives yet another insight to their "don't give a [censored]" quality control/quality assurance. For as much as these filters cost, one should certainly expect better.

Please explain, beyond it being somewhat sloppy manufacturing, how rough holes (on the side opposite the oil flows though) and slits in the ADBV will make this filter not do the job it's designed to.

Some of you Purolator fans are going off the deep end.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
However, the first thing that I noticed when I unpacked the filter was the ziploc bag (photo below) was coated with oil. At first, I thought perhaps the filter had some residual oil in it, but unfortunately, the ADBV was cut through in at least 3 places. The reason for this (and I assume is the case with the other examples of this) is the base plate has some incredibly sharp edges left from the drilling process.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. You had a used oil filter in a ziploc bag. Since it has an ADBV, you were expecting it to hold ALL of the old oil inside if it? The bag being coated in oil was a surprise? And you're saying this is a failure of the valve due to some small cuts that don't go all the way through?
The cuts did go all the way through and I am not trying to say anything. You decide for yourself what the video and photos show.

2015_PSD is a very knowledgeable, experienced BITOG member, and I trust his posts. He clearly stated that the ADBV was cut through in 3 places and I believe his word, and the pictures/video he posted are very detailed, very well-done.

2015_PSD, thank you for your effort and time in doing this C&P.
smile.gif

And they probably have no idea what's going on. The consumer will have to tell them, but they probably won't believe the consumer.

"Tears in our filters? We don't have no tears in our filters. The consumers are all liars!"
wtf1_zps7bvq5yth.gif

And NO OCOD has ever blown up and engine.

I'd rather see the holes punched from the inside out so the burr can't do any damage to the ADBV. Then all they'd have to do is add a warning label.

Here's what I posted the other day about these holes. Note a new filter that has the sharp edges cutting into the valve.
33p52kg.jpg

Last edited:

Some of you Purolator fans are going off the deep end.
laugh.gif

Nice job not answering the question.

How about this, they have to use tremendous pressure to punch the holes and form the can seam. Obviously the element must be installed with the ADBV when the can is seamed to the base. Since there are burs but no so long as to be slicing through the rubber all the way, it could be the machine uses the base holes for alignment when crimping can to baseplate, and the fixture extends too far into the holes, cutting the ADBV?

For the inventor of the oil filter it seems the last several years all they have done is invented countless ways to botch it up.

Can't even imagine what they will mess up next.
shocked2.gif

I think i know were those cuts came from. I stuck a small little sharp twig in there to drain some of the oil before shipping. Cause i did stick it in 3 places. I didnt realize you damage them doing that. Or its a separate issue....

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I think i know were those cuts came from. I stuck a small little sharp twig in there to drain some of the oil before shipping. Cause i did stick it in 3 places. I didnt realize you damage them doing that. Or its a separate issue....

I doubt it was the sticks ... those cuts look the same as seen on others reported torn/cut ADBVs lately. And the cuts line up with the sharp edges on the base plate holes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

I doubt it was the sticks ... those cuts look the same as seen on others reported torn/cut ADBVs lately. And the cuts line up with the sharp edges on the base plate holes.

+1 ... You're right ZeeOSix. A little twig would not slice through the ADBV. 2015_PSD also stated that the base plate had some very sharp edges on it which caused the cuts.

Quote:
For the inventor of the oil filter it seems the last several years all they have done is invented countless ways to botch it up.....

Last several years = sole ownership by Mann&Hummel, 3 to be precise. After 7 years as half owner.

To list it correctly and as shown on the can, MANN+HUMMEL Purolator. IMO, a distinction with a difference.

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
Those holes are punched out on a press with dies... they aren't actually drilled (that would just take wayyy too long). We make a lot of punch plate screens where I work, and burrs are just a part of the process when you use a punch press. If anybody in their manufacturing/engineering department had even half a brain, there is a very simple remedy to this. It just gives yet another insight to their "don't give a [censored]" quality control/quality assurance. For as much as these filters cost, one should certainly expect better.

Agreed. I would say this is a cost cutting measure. The sharp edges/burrs need to be buffed out after stamping the part. Someone probably had the idea to stop de-burring the plates as a way to save cost, though they did not test the change enough to see its negative effects...

If the ADBV is up towards the engine then a cut ADBV doesn't really matter right? No oil will escape the filter UP into the engine because of gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back