2014 Ram 2500 5.7 hemi - Amsoil XL 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is the 1st UOA from my new truck. This is the 1st UOA that I have done since it was purchased new. Out of the 7952 miles on this sample, 2,296 miles were towing a 10k toyhauler. I was concerned with the oil thickening since the oil temp has spiked to 250 degrees at times when towing. Normal towing oil temp is between 220 and 230. Oil filter and Air filter was Wix. Everyday driving for this vehicle is 30 miles each way all highway. Universal Averages are on the right which were at 5900 miles. After this oil changed I switched to Rotella T 10w30 since I was installing a Frantz bypass filter that I had on my previous truck. I will sample again at 10k since it will have 3 quarts of makeup oil. TBN was not tested since this was a baseline test before the bypass filter.

This motor does not have MDS and GVWR of 14,000 lbs or more is advised to use a 5w30 oil. I will be switching back to Amsoil after a run of Rotella for comparison.

Code:

OIL Amsoil XL 5w30 U. A.

MILES IN USE 7952-212 hours 5900

MILES 35,977

SAMPLE TAKEN 04/23/2016

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 22 21

COPPER 39 35

LEAD 0 1

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 72 80

NICKEL 0 1

MANGANESE 1 2

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 2

BORON 84 45

SILICON 9 8

SODIUM 6 51

CALCIUM 2199 2072

MAGNESIUM 10 198

PHOSPHORUS 592 774

ZINC 719 811

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES TR

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 410

SUS VIS 210ºF 61.2

cSt @ 212ºF 10.56

Fuel

"since the oil temp has spiked to 250 degrees at times"
We are so stuck in the 1970's

Might be nice to explain to the OP your terse remarks instead of letting him guess?
Yeah I know............! Butt out.. Got it- lol

Originally Posted By: CT8

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Might be nice to explain to the OP your terse remarks instead of letting him guess?
Yeah I know............! Butt out.. Got it- lol

Originally Posted By: CT8
No terse remark just a fact. Like the people that buy Amsoil and change it at 5,000 miles. why buy long lasting Amsoil. We fall for the syn oil is better marketing yet don't believe it lasts any longer.I just don't get it.

I can agree with that Amsoil analogy.
I was talking temps but you're right. Seems to be throwing money down the drain.
PYB would have been just effective for that OCI...
I think they believe in massive overkill, I'm the other way around. I want to use premium products and that helps me avoid wearing out my vehicles hardware under the oil pan etc...
Plus disposing of oil is getting harder and not easier..

The 250 oil temp remark was just a note. Yes I know it is not alarming and other motors routinely hit much higher oil temps for longer durations.

I have a F350 6.2 L 2015 Crew Cab and my OLM is going by age and it seems like I'm pulling out perfectly fine oil for no reason. Next time I'll just double click the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
The 250 oil temp remark was just a note. Yes I know it is not alarming and other motors routinely hit much higher oil temps for longer durations.

I have a 2006 Ram 2500 with the Hemi and it's spec'd for 5w20. On the oil cap etc.. I usually tow a Enclosed trailer with ATVs that comes around 10,000 lbs too. I always use 5w30 or 10w30 in the summer months. I know that oil temp get hot. I always wonder how many manual/Bible readers out there will not deviate from the owners manual. I would think that oil would be dangerously thin at that temp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I have a 2006 Ram 2500 with the Hemi and it's spec'd for 5w20. On the oil cap etc.. I usually tow a Enclosed trailer with ATVs that comes around 10,000 lbs too. I always use 5w30 or 10w30 in the summer months. I know that oil temp get hot. I always wonder how many manual/Bible readers out there will not deviate from the owners manual. I would think that oil would be dangerously thin at that temp.

Not that I tow with my Jeep, but I always hear the 5.7 required 5w20 due to the MDS system. I wouldn't think a 5w30 would effect it too much though. Do the 2500s not have the MDS? I know in tow/haul mode its disabled.

I've actually thought about getting a tune that disables it, but im still under warranty.

Have a 2015 Overland with hemi, run xw-30 all the time, never had an issue with the MDS.

Also after ssing some cam failures on hemis (high mileage squads and trucks which idle a lot) I feel better running something slightly thicker.

Also police upfitters book for squads recommends 10w-30 Mobil1, this from 2011 book.

The 2500 Dodge Hemi does not have the MDS. Still the manual says 5w20/ the oil cap says 5w20. Those people who refuse to deviate even when it's common sense to run a thicker oil at those temps.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The 2500 Dodge Hemi does not have the MDS. Still the manual says 5w20/ the oil cap says 5w20. Those people who refuse to deviate even when it's common sense to run a thicker oil at those temps.

Panzerman, my manual specifies 5w30 over 14k gvw. I would have ran 5w30 anyways since I am Florida.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
Below is the 1st UOA from my new truck. Universal Averages are on the right which were at 5900 miles. I will be switching back to Amsoil after a run of Rotella for comparison.

Amsoil XL compares well at 7900 miles to UA of 5900 miles, so I would say it is doing a fine job! I agree with others that you could stretch it even further if you want to.
I would be curious to see if you could use Signature Series and run it to 15k-25k. Twice as long as you just did with XL, for only ~1/3 more $$.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back