Lost my mind, about to buy Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Audi S6. Four doors and can delay adulthood a few more years.

Or Mercedes E63 AMG. There's also the E550, E400 and E350. Someone also mentioned the MB C300, but there's also the C63.

4-doors don't have to be boring....

Dodge Charger SRT8 Hellcat...

Seriously the Ponycar with the biggest back seat is a Challenger.

Why is everyone recommending cars that cost $50k? Look at the OP's list...clearly trying to keep it at $30k or less. Stop talking about Hellcats, E63, etc.

FYI, I am a Ph.D. not a MD.... and my Ph.D. is in transportation planning. FutureDoc name comes from marrying into a family of "doctors" that are really DVMs. This process has been 18+ months for me. At the end of the day, I rather have a GT car. I have the no-compromise sports car... this is something that I can flog when I want, be a good long-distance 1 person cruiser, and not be illegal to transport the kid(s) in.

If Subaru still made the Legacy 2.5GT it would be a done deal. I looked around for them (hard to find) and did not find any decent options (ie low miles or unmodified). I would be arrested in a WRX with my pink socks, wingtips, and a decent credit score... as they know I stole the car.

Baby is 11 months old. Gymnastics is not an issue (despite being 6'3"). I will always take some inconvenience (see the MR2 1.5cuft of storage space) for other attributes. I have transported him in my older Subaru a total of 14 times in those 11 months. If we drive him around, it is always the newer outback. I have driven him in the MR2. Twice. It was in not-really-semi-emergency scenarios. I am selling the older subaru. 95% of all my trips are by myself. Thus having two family haulers is redundant and an automatic is killing my soul.

I was planning to drive the older Subaru 10% of the time and that was the case before the kid (and new work schedule), now it is about 70% of the time compared to the 30% MR2... or less. Safety is a concern as there was a nasty wreck involving a Gen 1 Outback on my road (t-bone) that has pushed the decision forward a few months. I also just paid off the newer Subaru, Mrs and I got a 7K pay increase, and I will have 5.2K in teaching coming in the fall.

FiST vs FoST. I did look at the Focus ST. If the ST was AWD or the RS was cheaper, then it was a better candidate. I am looking for car that is a little less "I am going to torque steer you into the tree if you sneeze". Some parts of that were fun but I wanted a bit more "calm" for the price. It is nice but I liked the FiST better and it was cheaper. I also had to buy two new Fords for work and it has not gone well.

I did look at a CPO 2 series (most likely the 228i). Mrs/baby was not with me but it would be tight. Price is the other issue. Although, we could easily afford 30K and a bit over, I am keeping it to 25K (or as close to it) OTD. Gen Coupe is 25.5K OTD and I can keep it to 48 months with very low financing (sub 2.5%). Did the math and I am taking the $1000 over the 0.9 as I pay back early (normally in 2/2.5 years). Another option was a 2009-2011 Audi S5 with the 4.2. However, my wife does not really care for it (she says I am not there yet). She "does not see me in it". She said "no" to the 2006 911.

Infinit knocked out for price if new ($6K premium for the manual). Used are "ok" but finding manuals are harder. Also, I am not crazy about the styling.

Accord Coupe: Brother had one so it is off the list.

Did I cover everything?

Last edited:
Okay, good context, FutureDoc. I've driven both the FiST and FoST quite hard (Ford autocross event) and I actually thought the Focus was more controllable and planted at the limit. Interior was also better.

If your wife has something practical it will be a pain to use your vehicle for three to four years.

We lucked out and my wife picked up a brand new 2005 legacy gt manual wagon 7 months pregnant on her own and she won't give it up now with 200k and a 10, 8 and two year old squeezed into rear seat.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Okay, good context, FutureDoc. I've driven both the FiST and FoST quite hard (Ford autocross event) and I actually thought the Focus was more controllable and planted at the limit. Interior was also better.

The FoST is the more serious of the two cars. Normally I default to the "more serious" option. I like to work harder to get more from the car... I am just not in that mood for this car.

I'm in roughly the same place as the OP - got kids, but 90% of the trips in my car are to work and back with only me in the car. If we're going somewhere with the kids we take my wife's car. There are times though where my wife needs to go one place and me and one of the kids, another place. And for the first 6 months after our first child was born my wife had a 2-door Accord and we said "Never again." Not worth it for me, even for just 10% of the time.

However, if OP is OK with the contortion, that's his prerogative. And it seems like he's done his research, so why not? It's not like this car is going to be the primary family hauler.

Sounds like OP wants us to sign off on the Genisis Coupe. If the wife has signed off, who are we to say no?

I would have to add to functionality over form chorus and say that a coupe isn't the ideal growing family car...but having said that, my semi-functional back seat and you and your wife's semi-functional back seat might be two entirely different things. I would definitely feel inconvenienced with a young child in that circumstance where you might not be....my expectation would be that a car seat would be a PITA in that car.

If you really like the car ( they're nice ) and it's the best of the coupes for rear space, you might have to try and project ahead a bit and see if this "semi-functionality" is good enough for now and a few years from now...that would be pretty subjective in my mind but would be clearer to someone who's honest with themselves under that circumstance.

I'd definitely drive a used $25k 3 series sedan with a sport package just to cross it off your list. But if you like the Genesis better then I guess new is better too.

They have that. It's called the Q60 (formerly known as the G37 coupe).

Yes, and the back seat isn't terrible, either. I can actually haul full sized adults in the back seat on a road trip without too much griping.

If you like the Gen coupe, and the wife likes it, buy it before someone else does :)

Here's the big thing. Go with your gut. Whichever cars brings you the most joy and ticks off the check marks, buy that. Otherwise you're stuck in a sort of automotive purgatory and that's no fun.

Sounds like the Gen Coupe does that.

Forte Koup: Did some autoX in a 2010 vintage. Owner sold it for a 2007 350Z. I agree with buying the Z

VW CC - no convertibles in the conversation. The Mrs would not allow two.

3 series. I have driven them (I have family that are BMW folks and a 2012-ish which would be about the 25K range). I also know the local BMW service cost. However, the hard part would be finding a good 2-door manual. Truth be told, I like the 1 or 2 series better... 3 series is a bit more practical than the GC for headroom.

Originally Posted By: Garak
They have that. It's called the Q60 (formerly known as the G37 coupe).

Yes, and the back seat isn't terrible, either. I can actually haul full sized adults in the back seat on a road trip without too much griping.

Yeah, the Genesis Coupe basically just ripped off the G and then gave it a better exterior (IMO). Infiniti uses the better materials but I like most of the GC layout better. Problem is finding a decent manual option. I thought I had one (listed as a manual... then it had the automatic in the picture). Just not willing to carmax one across the country.

Backseat in the GC are functional for folks up to about 5'8"... after that the headroom becomes an issue. However, we found that the sunroof knocks about 4 usable inches off the headroom it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back