Mavis Tire, always need brakes?

I have bought tires from Mavis in the past and were always told that I needed some type of brake repair; either pads, rotors, calipers. Two friends told me Mavis always told them the same thing. What is your experience with Mavis Tire?

Originally Posted By: Jerryb
I have bought tires from Mavis in the past and were always told that I needed some type of brake repair; either pads, rotors, calipers. Two friends told me Mavis always told them the same thing. What is your experience with Mavis Tire?

I've dealt with Mavis Tire a few times, and it seems every car needs brakes and or front end work. Every car. My most recent experience with them was quite amusing. I brought my E-150 in for 4 tires, and an alignment. They had low balled me, and I knew it. The writer calls me into the shop to inform me my E-150 needed ball joints. He insisted I needed ball joints, and tried to lower the van onto a jack stand to demonstrate. When I informed him that the so called ball joints were in fact King Pins, he got annoyed and started tugging on the wheel. I told him that front end was as tight as the day it rolled off the assembly line he went to the rear brakes. He showed me rivets on the brake shoes, which btw had plenty of life left. He said "you see these things", I said yes they are called rivets. He said "well when you can see them the brakes are shot". I said really? When there is a 1/16" left you worry, when the brakes have close to 1/4" they're fine. I suggested he try his scam on someone else. I politely said I was working on cars before he was even a thought in his parents minds.

Then I told him not to align the front end since he claimed the ball joints were bad he explained to me it wouldn't have any effect on the alignment. This moron just cost himself an alignment. They ended up destroying 4 center caps on my cyclone wheels, which cost them. When he tried [censored]'ing his way out of that I said, no problem pal, I'm paying with a credit card and will dispute it with them. It ended up costing him $100 for 4 20 year old center caps. Funny thing was I had a new set sitting in a box waiting for spring.

They told me I needed tie rods on my Aerostar 2 years prior, along with front brakes. That was a week after a NYS inspection where I asked my buddy to make sure the front end was tight and the brakes were good. It was the dead of winter and I didn't feel like jerking around with it. This guy I flat out told after he tried the upsell, that if he couldn't put 4 tires on the Aerostar and only 4 tires no additional work to let me know and I'd take it elsewhere.

If I could have gotten my tires somewhere for less I would have. I do enjoy playing with these guys, and take it elsewhere for an alignment.

I think these clowns are this way being in NY. Last year when I went to WA to see my son I took his BMW for tires. Not only were these guys nice they were honest, and not trying to upsell anything. When I went to pick up the car they informed me the brakes had 90% left, front end was tight and the car was well cared for. What a difference 3000 miles makes. This was not Mavis Tire though.

Originally Posted By: pbm
demarpaint said:
I think these clowns are this way being in NY.

Yes there are a lot of scammers in NY.....just look at Albany....what a disgrace.

As a student who is returning to NY, that's sadly the truth. Even out in the woods out in western NY it's the same way. Upsells and scams everywhere, and people being fleeced.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

As a student who is returning to NY, that's sadly the truth. Even out in the woods out in western NY it's the same way. Upsells and scams everywhere, and people being fleeced.

Dunn Tire in WNY is good never tried to sell me anything besides tires. Downstate on the other hand can be a [censored] if you do not have a head on your shoulders.

I went to Mavis in Albany for a state inspection. They told me there was rust on my rotors and they must be replaced. They inferred several times that it was needed for inspection. I got sick of it and asked them straight out if it passes as is...they reluctantly said it did. BTW, the rust was the outer edge of the rotor. Show me a rotor in Upstate NY without rust on the outer edge.

I would never use Mavis Tire for any auto work...high pressure scammers.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: pbm
demarpaint said:
I think these clowns are this way being in NY.

Yes there are a lot of scammers in NY.....just look at Albany....what a disgrace.

Down State NY has been that way for years, I guess it has spread North and West too. People can only be scammed & fleeced if they allow it. Living on Long Island has conditioned me to flag [censored] alerts instantly. Growing up here has its advantages, people from Long Island and the 5 boroughs have seen and heard just about everything. The key is to be able to apply what has been seen and heard.

Well if any of our cars ever get taken to the new Mavis tire down the street, I will be sure to report if they want to change any brake or suspension components.

EDIT: Demarpaint, where in NY are you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Old thread. Looks like Mavis/STS is expanding, just got one not far from us. I'm tempted to try them as they have really good pricing on the Michelin PSS for my 135i.

I think the key for repair at these shops where they try so hard to sell services and credit cards is to go there and wait for your car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think the key for repair at these shops where they try so hard to sell services and credit cards is to go there and wait for your car.

Yep and stand in the service bay or right at the door opening. A little awkward at first but it puts them on their best behavior. Which even then can be suspect. I've caught lots of things this way. Also tell them not to scratch any of your rims and ask if that will be a problem. Or just have Discount Tire do the install with price match. Or buy tires with price match from DTD and have dealer do the install. Not sure I'd trust Mavis with your rims. Costco would be another option.

Bridgestone has a $70 rebate going right now till the end of May I believe. Wait for the Memorial Day sale at DT/DTD.

Last edited:
JHZR2, didn't a tire shop ruin a wheel of yours on your BMW?

Make sure you inspect the wheels with them before they work on it so they can note that your wheels were fine beforehand.

My experience with them was not good. I won't use them again ever. They try and sell parts you don't need, and their work sucked/sucks. One guy was telling me my ball joints were bad, and when I told him I had king pins he looked at me and said I knew what he meant. I laughed and told him do me a favor and don't align it I'll take it elsewhere. I should have s..t canned the tires too, live and learn.

In the same visit they smashed and ruined my center caps when they replaced my tires. That cost them big time. I was going to pay cash for the tires and an alignment. When he told me I need ball joints I told him not to do the alignment. My front end was perfect, and was checked about 25 miles prior during a NYS, and by me a week before the inspection. When I saw the damaged center caps [two of them] I stopped the guy and told him to take his time and not mess up the other two. I was pizt to beat the band. Rather than fight I said I'll pay by credit card and dispute the charges to avoid a fight. I told the service writer exactly what I was going to do and why, no surprises for him. As soon as I got home I called the credit card company and explained what happened. Payment was stopped and Mavis corporate called to resolve problem a few days later. IIRC I paid half price for the tires. LOL Calm and cool won that battle. Next time I need tires I won't be going to Mavis.

Old thread. Looks like Mavis/STS is expanding, just got one not far from us. I'm tempted to try them as they have really good pricing on the Michelin PSS for my 135i.

Do you have Discount Tire in your area ? Get the best price you can then ask DT for price match. In the end you have a set of tire at the price you like and good service.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Do you have Discount Tire in your area ? Get the best price you can then ask DT for price match. In the end you have a set of tire at the price you like and good service.

No. I wish.

The Mavis is brand new, fwiw.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
JHZR2, didn't a tire shop ruin a wheel of yours on your BMW?

Make sure you inspect the wheels with them before they work on it so they can note that your wheels were fine beforehand.

Yes, a Goodyear corporate store. They ended up paying in full.

I agree, and plan to request a walk around.

Mavis and Kost tire are why I have tires mounted/balanced at Walmart. If it ever comes to be buying a set of tires and not getting them online and shipping them here (maybe another set gets slashed), I will not go to Kost and Mavis.

Mavis tire has THE ANGRIEST employees ever. I don't understand what their deal is.

Back