Pentastar V6 Factory oil filter 8700 miles - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my son's 2015 Chrysler 200S V6 - this was the original factory installed oil filter (MO-349) and the FF oil was changed at OLM mileage of 8786 miles. No evidence of extreme break in debris noticed by me. So, at least in the case of this engine, early oil/filter change seems unnecessary. Next oil change, I may not even change the filter since it's installed at the top of the engine and drains when the oil pan is drained. (i.e. - no significant dirty left over oil is retained) We are using Mobil Super 5000 - (Chrysler MS-6395 approval) for this motor.

http://imgur.com/a/9KdqS

The filter looks good. I'm considering using them for 2 OCI's myself. All I'll do is loosen the cap and pop the filter and everything drains right out. Inspect the filter reinstall it and I'm golden. No worries of leaving dirty oil behind to contaminate the fresh fill of oil. Win win.

Thanks for the post. I changed the FF on my 2015 Grand Caravan at 4000km.

I didn't closely inspect the oil filter, but I should this weekend. I'm currently at 10,400 km on the odometer approx 6400 km on the oil.

I'll probably run the OCI for 10,000km.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The filter looks good. I'm considering using them for 2 OCI's myself. All I'll do is loosen the cap and pop the filter and everything drains right out. Inspect the filter reinstall it and I'm golden. No worries of leaving dirty oil behind to contaminate the fresh fill of oil. Win win.

Ohhh my goodness, has demarpaint's camp moved to another location?????
shocked.gif
So it would seem, but still a highly classified location. J/K

Seems like an ideal set up for running it twice. I'd just make sure lube the orings with reinstall. Now I know this may not suit some, but filter cartridge on top of engine also ideal for using a Mityvac and not pulling the drain plug. But for ocd/anal types that might be too much of stretch. Not a bad idea too imo. I know some members do it.

Cartridge looks fine, a little surf wave but that's no issue. I've found Wix/Napa Gold cartridges to be high quality too, so not a bad replacement choice imo.

Thanks for pics.

He's gonna run the filter upwards of 18,000+ miles while under warranty...?

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Ohhh my goodness, has demarpaint's camp moved to another location?????
shocked.gif
So it would seem, but still a highly classified location. J/K

Seems like an ideal set up for running it twice. I'd just make sure lube the orings with reinstall. Now I know this may not suit some, but filter cartridge on top of engine also ideal for using a Mityvac and not pulling the drain plug. But for ocd/anal types that might be too much of stretch. Not a bad idea too imo. I know some members do it.

Cartridge looks fine, a little surf wave but that's no issue. I've found Wix/Napa Gold cartridges to be high quality too, so not a bad replacement choice imo.

Thanks for pics.

My beef has always been leaving close to a quart oil dirty oil behind when leaving the filter on. I remove the cap on my 3.6L Jeep and all the oil goes into the pan. What's left behind is the filter element which is very easy to remove and inspect. Then reinstall and lube up the O-ring and it's GTG. When I dropped the factory fill [early
27.gif
] I did exactly that. It gave me food for thought though. I will not do that with a regular filter, and to be honest after 5K miles in service, my OCI for this vehicle I'll be swapping out the filter. So no the camp is still in the same location. I'm not there just yet.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: horse123
That thing looks like it belongs on a 7.3. What's the diameter and height?

from Fram: - Pt # CH11665
Product Height 6.13"
Product I.D. .91"
Product O.D. 1.99"

CH11665_FRO.JPG

Originally Posted By: AKA

Yes, do actually think any filter would fail in 18,000 miles on a clean, non-sludged motor? Near zero probability IMO.

I wouldn't but....The plus is the filter can easily be inspected and put right back into service. I'm liking this set up more and more. No guessing if the media is torn, loaded up, etc. and you don't have to cut and destroy the filter to find out.

.... So no the camp is still in the same location. I'm not there just yet.
wink.gif

Yeah I picked up on the distinction, just some good hearted ribbing.

When I ran the BD+ twice in my Accord, I did against best practice, remove the filter to let the remaining oil drain off. Wasn't to get the oil from filter(small amount) but remaining oil above thread end up filter. I don't recommend that practice but it worked fine for me. Otoh, in my Tacoma using a FU, has almost 6 qt capacity, never touched the filter. Also, it's in a less than desirable access location. No concern about it, and when I pull is next it will be close to 15k miles and at least 2+ years.

But while I still prefer spin on, cartridge filters at top of engine do present as noted, some options for oil and filter change.

The location is still classified though.
56.gif

.... So no the camp is still in the same location. I'm not there just yet.
wink.gif

Yeah I picked up on the distinction, just some good hearted ribbing.

thumbsup2.gif

The oil must stay in the redesigned 3.6L filter for quite a while. I started mine up in the garage with the remote start to see if there was any ticking for the first second or so as many with the 2011-2013's complained about early on. I'm not talking about the bad head problems just normal start up noise. I hear none and that's after a week + of not being driven. I did hear, one time, a brief tap but that was after it sat for about a month, and lasted a split second. Like I said, I like the idea of the cartridge filter a lot.

When I officially change camps you'll be the first to know!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Yes, do actually think any filter would fail in 18,000 miles on a clean, non-sludged motor? Near zero probability IMO.

To each their own I guess.

I'm curious, how long would you run a full synthetic wire backed media filter for our application, if said filter existed...?

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Ecores! The media blows through the weak plastic cage.

Keep good records and proof of all oil changes just in case there is a warranty issue with the engine. Chrysler loves to try to not honor warranties. I saw that a number of times.

....The oil must stay in the redesigned 3.6L filter for quite a while. I started mine up in the garage with the remote start to see if there was any ticking for the first second or so as many with the 2011-2013's complained about early on. ......

I think there was a learning curve for manufacturers with the new to them cartridge on top design and keeping enough oil in the housing and oil galleries connected to it to prevent start up noise/rattle. Hyundai had similar with early 3.8L applications as an example.

That said, the cartridge on engine top design much more preferable 'imo' to those on the bottom. And while the noise/(rattle) may be irritating, doubtful it caused significant if any engine damage.

That said, the cartridge on engine top design much more preferable 'imo' to those on the bottom. And while the noise/(rattle) may be irritating, doubtful it caused significant if any engine damage.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back