"Interstate Are Now Garbage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that might be dropping quality is that the US no longer produces lead. It could be possible that the lead is of a lesser quality or they are making the plates over seas now. Could be the problem but might not be.

While my post earlier in this thread condemns manufacturers and the new maximum profit business model, cutting all corners possible, Battery longevity is most influenced by how close the battery gets to live its lifespan, to 100% charged.

The worst quality battery kept fully charged will outlast the best battery kept 75 to 80% charged.

With batteries not underhood, and never discharged more than the parasitic draws occurring overnight, most any battery can give good service for many years.

Deplete the battery to 80%, and it takes 3+ hours at 14.4v+ to achieve 100% no matter how powerful the charging source might be.

Doubtful any car will hold 14.4v+ for 3 hours
Doubtful any car with a 80% charged battery will be driven the 3+ hours needed to get the battery to 100%.

Plug in and recharge after any significant discharge. Do not rely on the alternator. It is not a free power source, it is not a magical instantaneous battery charger.

And lead acid batteries want to be 100% charged at all times, sitting back and eating bon bons. Anything less will yield less than ideal longevity.

As far as who makes what battery for whom, Decipher this site:

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Another thing that might be dropping quality is that the US no longer produces lead. It could be possible that the lead is of a lesser quality or they are making the plates over seas now. Could be the problem but might not be.

The battery companies like JCI recycle large quantities of lead. An auto battery is the most recycled item in the US. Unsure if they need to mine new lead.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Some manufactures have plastic insulation for battery under the hood. Or you can buy Reflective Insulation from Home Depot and cut to fit the battery, 1 roll can make 8-10 insulation. It reduces the temperature by more than 15-20F after 20-30 minutes of driving in city.

46a88e7d-9105-4e0f-81ca-07de3b9d9011_1000.jpg

I have a co-worker that has done this using the reflective material and absolutely swears by it. He says its even better than the factory battery sleeves (which are usually grey-ish, a sort of industrial strength bubble-wrap material). But it still only slows the heating so it really is most effective for short-tripping. Getting the battery out of the engine compartment is better, if possible to do.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I have a co-worker that has done this using the reflective material and absolutely swears by it. He says its even better than the factory battery sleeves (which are usually grey-ish, a sort of industrial strength bubble-wrap material). But it still only slows the heating so it really is most effective for short-tripping. Getting the battery out of the engine compartment is better, if possible to do.

It costs about $10-12 a roll and can be cut to wrap up to 8-10 batteries. If you have enough vehicles or you can share a roll with someone, it worth the experience at about $1.50 per battery.

I used infrared temp gauge to measure temperature on battery case before and after this reflective wrapper. The temperature was more than 15F difference for as little as 15 minutes drive in cit. For long highway drive up to 1 hour the difference was up to 25F.

Relocating under the hood battery to under rear seat or in the trunk is too complicate and cost a lot more than $10-20.

Last edited:
Older RAV I had, the battery was by the firewall instead of toward the front from what I'm used to. I was getting up to 3 years on a battery. Last few batteries (Interstate Green Top) lasted about 3 years, thinking I would get longer service going Interstate.
I figured the heat was greater by the firewall shortening battery life as voltage running was good (not too high/low).
But now, my little Hyundai SUV, 2010, still has the OEM battery and its battery is also located back near the firewall, going about 6 years throws my theory out the window.
Normally (needed or not) I replace the vehicle's batteries at 4-5 years service. This Hyundai OEM battery is the longest in-use battery I believe I have ever ran. I know some run batteries much longer, but I'm feeling a little nervous about the 2010 Hyundai battery. That's it, now I bet I replace it this year. At 103k, about to go in for 1st big maintenance service, I'll probably have it replaced, but it still cranks good, holds voltage after sitting etc. The Korean writing on the battery I can't read.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The battery companies like JCI recycle large quantities of lead. An auto battery is the most recycled item in the US. Unsure if they need to mine new lead.

JCI is making their new batteries in Mexico these days - I'm seeing the small round Made In Mexico sticker on a few Costco/Wal-Mart/O'Reilly batteries now.

JCI also has a lead reclaimation plant in Mexico as well. Coincidence?

I had those Panasonic batteries in both my Toyotas, they lasted 4 yrs.
Wonder how Tesla chose Panasonic for their batteries, may be they are good in rechargeable vs. acid batteries. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back