Is penzoil ultra platinum being discontinued.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just arrived back from Local WM! Just curious walked down Oil aisle... Total overhaul done!!! No More GTL Pennzoil Ultra Platinum---->Only Pennzoil Platinum on the shelf... Very Limited Viscositys....

Did find all the Ultra! On the mark down shelf... Figured what the Heck... Bought 4 5qt jugs of 5W-30 for $20 ea...

What is going on? Is something new coming?

Noticed Ultra Platinum 5W-30 was out of stock within Amazon as well! UgG!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: gtrplr71
I see the ultra platinum is getting hard to find...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I wonder if Gena is reading this and can pass it along? There are people who want to use it but aren't going to jump through hoops or pay high prices to do so.

It's been hard to find for YEARS !!!

I ended up seeing it in two PB stores yesterday, all they had was 5W20 in quarts, and no shelf space for anything else.

You'd think with all the R&D and money that went into the product they'd advertise it more and give the stores an incentive to carry it.

I just realized the very reasons I am shying away from amsoil I am doing to get the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in 0w-20, not able to get it local and if I need it I have to wait and order it. I have found myself researching oil again and to be honest the Dexos 1 AC Delco 0w-20 is not too shabby and easily found. A lot of people say use whats on the fill cap so why not what the factory puts in the fill hole?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only place I've EVER seen pup is at this tiny old fashioned non-supercenter Walmart that's in this small country town near here. That have it in every viscosity,quarts and jugs.

What town is this in ?
I might have to take a drive
grin.gif

I'm most likely going to use Ultra when I run through my PYB. Same here, it's here one time and gone the next at my WMs. I think someone keeps buying up the supply. I usually buy my oil with ship to home from WM anyway so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
I'm most likely going to use Ultra when I run through my PYB. Same here, it's here one time and gone the next at my WMs. I think someone keeps buying up the supply. I usually buy my oil with ship to home from WM anyway so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

WMT ship to home is a good way to get it, a lot cheaper than AMZN, and the only way I can get it in 5W30.

Sure wish I could find the 0W40. Even online I can only seem to find it in quarts, not in a gallon container. Supposedly thats the new approved "SRT" oil. While my SRT4 states mobil 1 0w40 on the cap, I would certainly use the new recommendation... if I could find it.

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hello BITOGers –

Just wanted to jump in and set the record straight about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. We do not plan on discontinuing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. We want to apologize for the difficulty you’ve all had in locating the product on store shelves and want to thank you for your continued interest in locating the product. If Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is no longer on your local Walmart shelves, the best place to purchase it is online at www.Walmart.com. Walmart offers free shipping on purchases more than $50, or you can order online and pick up the product for free at your local store. Amazon is also an option which offers free shipping on all orders more than $49.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience in finding Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and want to assure the BITOG community that the product is still in production. – The Pennzoil Team

Gena, thanks for this response, however I have to tell you, I often find it "out of stock" online as well; at least in 5w20. Even if the local WM doesn't carry it, why are they having trouble getting enough of it to distribute online? That would seem to indicate a problem getting it from the supplier, no?

I'd still wonder if that were a Walmart issue. While PUP is rather hard to get up here, at least things are improving. Walmart up here doesn't carry it. The odd thing is that up here, the EcoBoxes are the most sensible way to get it.

Originally Posted By: ejes
Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hello BITOGers –

Just wanted to jump in and set the record straight about Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. We do not plan on discontinuing Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. We want to apologize for the difficulty you’ve all had in locating the product on store shelves and want to thank you for your continued interest in locating the product. If Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is no longer on your local Walmart shelves, the best place to purchase it is online at www.Walmart.com. Walmart offers free shipping on purchases more than $50, or you can order online and pick up the product for free at your local store. Amazon is also an option which offers free shipping on all orders more than $49.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience in finding Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and want to assure the BITOG community that the product is still in production. – The Pennzoil Team

Gena, thanks for this response, however I have to tell you, I often find it "out of stock" online as well; at least in 5w20. Even if the local WM doesn't carry it, why are they having trouble getting enough of it to distribute online? That would seem to indicate a problem getting it from the supplier, no?

The 5W30 is often out of stock too at Walmart.com. The trick is to buy a year or so supply of it at one shot when they have it.
wink.gif

Did Walmart's website ever sell 0W-20, 5 qt? I can't find it on Walmart's website.

Amazon has it, but it is almost double the price.

So hard to find...

Originally Posted By: saltyroads
I just picked up a jug at walmart for 25 bucks, 0w20 5qt jug.

Ultra platinum 0w-20 or just platinum 0w-20?

Is there a benefit to ultra if plain platinum already has a "low" NOACK of 10.1 (per PQIA)?

My local Wally Worlds carry both regular and Ultra Platinumin the usual grades. But I haven't bought oil for a while because I had 3-5qt jugs of Platinum in the garage. I did notice however that they dropped Royal Purple from the shelf sets the last time I stopped to get an oil filter. I'll have to double check the next time I stop in.

L8R,
Matt

I found a 5 qt jug of 10W30 Pennzoil Ultra on clearance at Walley World so I bought it but the jug looks older and has the words Hyper on it. I don't think it is the Ultra with Pure Plus technology as it does not state that anywhere on the jug. Got for $8 basically as was priced at $6.99. Will give it a try on my next oil change.

I don't think it's being discontinued. But SOPUS has done a poor job marketing it. To the average joe, there's not much difference between it and Platinum and most people are going to go for the Platinum because it's cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back