2007 Maxima 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what you guys think. Blackstone says chrome is a little high and could be indicative of ring wear.

2007 Nissan Maxima 103k miles / 9015 miles on oil (Mobil 1 EP 5-30/Fram Ultra).

TBN 2.5
TAN 4.8

MANGANESE 0
ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 5
IRON 18
COPPER 5
LEAD 9
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 68
NICKEL 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 42
SILICON 15
SODIUM 17
CALCIUM 1149
MAGNESIUM 540
PHOSPHORUS637
ZINC 762

I think because it's a Nissan, you should expect reliability issues in general (but I acknowledge that's my own prejudice ... maybe you like them, which is fine).

The second largest Japanese brand can barely get a foothold in North America despite being here for 50+ years. Coincidence?

Maybe, but that's a bit iffy at best without some trended analysis and the universal averages, at the very least. On its own, no one is going to (or should) worry about 5 ppm of chromium.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The second largest Japanese brand can barely get a foothold in North America despite being here for 50+ years. Coincidence?

Blatant bias all around, at least you acknowledge it, however. Maybe in Canada, Nissan does not have a foothold, but in the US, they are strong sellers and have been for a long time.

I don't see how one can correlate a single UOA report with overall car reliability, unless the goal was to advertise one's ignorance.

Guys:

That is basically the same engine as my G37 Infiniti and the dealer recommends 5K intervals with the same oil, Mobil EP. Note: I also add a little Moly, so far so good but I only have about 42K miles. Car does run great!! Incredible power for a 3.7 Liter engine without DI.

JR

Originally Posted By: dgunay
TBN is lower than TAN

I would keep the OCI at 7.5k

My next OCI is going to be just that...7.5k. Blackstone recommends 5k but I'd like to see where I'm at when I hit 7.5k. I'm at 3500 now.

Time on oil? What's your driving like, short trips? Are you keeping it topped off? Make up oil during this run? This info will help.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Time on oil? What's your driving like, short trips? Are you keeping it topped off? Make up oil during this run? This info will help.

This sled does not have an hour counter. IIRC I am about 3500 miles per 100 hours. I would say 40% highway 20% city and 20% country back roads. Caveat is hilly....typical low lying mountainous region in northeast. Very few short trips. I check ever 2k miles or so and added about 1/2 quart (same oil).

No mechanical issues. THis vehicle was my mothers and has been in the family since new in 07. Never had any work (bar window alignment in 2 rear windows). At about 100k mark I did plugs, belts, and CVT fluid drain/fill a few times. Very smooth running engine.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
TBN is lower than TAN

I would keep the OCI at 7.5k

This is just a pretty dumb post. Just telling it like it is.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with bearings on the VQ35. I had a G35 for 5 years and don't remember once hearing about a bearing failure with this engine. They can take a beating.

With that said, you could try GC 0w30 or M1 HM 5w30/10w30 and see if it makes a difference.

Only reliability issues will be with stuff bolted around the outside of the engine. The engine itself is bomb proof. I would know between my family and myself we have owned 4 VQ engines, all awesome.

To be honest, I would not think you're causing harm doing what you're doing but it can't hurt to back off the OCI either!

Doesn't Nissan spec 3700k or something like that? Lurk on a few Z33/G forums,try a 5W40 next time. Hit a few Autozones,the ones here have Synpower 5W40 for $2 a quart.

Post your next UOA with this combo.

Maybe I'll do a 5 or 5500k OCI and drop a few bucks to see where I'm at and post up. Always good to learn a bit and this site is great for that. I still have some 5-30 M1 EP so I'm sticking with it and I'll keep the combo of M1 5-30 and FU filter consistent. Apples to apples with variants being winter blend gas and mileage as the main differences.

way too many miles for VQ, otherwise these engines are bulletproof.

Johnny2Bad is pulling [censored] out his [censored] on this one.

this is a bad VQ35 report,
2jcsr9v.png

Last edited:
These VQs are very rough on oil so I would keep intervals no more than 5k to 6k miles at most. They shear out the oil and oil doesn't have much time to cool down while car is running. The motors are good and run well. My car has been fantastic. Just they are not good candidates for real long change intervals. I have read on a 370Z site that European Castrol 0w30 did really well in the VQ 3.7. Numerous UOA did show that on that site. You may well consider that. As for me.. I'm running Mobil Super Synthetic for 3700 miles. Been very good after first run, now on second.

I'll keep my Nissan comments to myself,but does this engine suffer from the timing chain problem? My enthusiam for Nissan is very low so excuse my ignorance, but I thought it was a timing chain tensioner issue...? That could cause wear.

VQ's do not have a timing chain problem. The only "issue" with these engines is they can develop some oil consumption, mainly if you modify them.

I'm not sure what's up with the Nissan hate. Their engines have long been one of their strengths. Their other flagship engine, the QR25DE is also bullet proof. I have had 2 of those and have never had one problem. I've actually never even had to add a drop of oil to them between OCI's and that's on 7.5k intervals. There was a design flaw in the catalyst used in early versions of this engine that could cause premature wear /failure , but it wasn't a problem with the engine itself.

i'm keeping my comments to myself about Nissan, but isn't there a pending lawsuit about the timing chain tensioners on the 3.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back