2007 Maxima 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was active on the Infiniti G35 and 350Z forums for 5 years and never once heard of that, or any other common engine issues (other than oil consumption). The one in the Maxima is very similar.

I know the 2nd Gen EA888 from VW had timing chain tensioner issues, so maybe you are thinking of that?

Idk anything about what version engine it is. Within 2 sec of internet searching i found multiple nissan forums talking about the issue. 3.5-4.0 liter engines. 2004-2010 depending on the application. Nissan used to reliable, early to mid ninties was the last of their consistent trouble free veh. Sure, the G35 and 350Z might be a better product since its catered to the brands enthusiasts,

I have heard of this issue too. If I am remembering correctly it was the tensioner guides would be extended out so far the screws would come loose and fall out. Thus causing massive motor damage. Or the other issue would be that parts of the guides would break off has well.

My Nissan Altima has been perfect for the past 87k miles. It now has 127k miles on it. It burns a miniscule amount of oil between oil changes, no leaks and runs great.

The 2000-2003 maxima is when i first started experiencing Nissan problems. They overheated like clockwork and The electronics are extremely sensitive/poorly engineered. Nice looking cars tho. The 1995-1999 model wasnt as bad. From that point forward they havent been the same. The CVTs have been a nightmare and still are to this day, the catalytic failure that you mentioned earlier was widespread,the paint they use is the thinnest i have seen in the industry these days, the timing chain tensioner problem in 2004-2010 3.5-4.0 engines, even throughout the last decade they have had design problems with their heater cores and cooling systems. Their AC performance is one of most lackluster of any new car. The fit and finish isnt bad, they are user friendly and they have excellent seats. Compare a nissan interior (infiniti as well) to any competitor and it looks second class (my opinion) in terms of design, carelessly thought out. Nissan hasnt been the same since about 1994 in my opinion. Last year for 300zx was 1996, also an electronic nightmare in powertrain management but a car i could live with since they are sweet. Longterm reliability down, creativity/inspiration is absent, the Nissan enthusiast crowd is more active with the older Nissan models, not much care is given for new stuff except for the GTR. That is the state of Nissan in America and by now anyone that goes to buy one knows that huge incentives will be sitting on the hood to help push them out the door.

I hope Im not offending anyone that owns a nissan because there are always good ones that leave the factory. They just have some issues (like every manufacturer) that they just need to work out.

I will say that the CVT issues are most likely related to either wrong fluid being put in them or that it's not a good match with the 2.5L motor. A majority of the CVT problems from my generation of Nissan seem to be the 2.5s with CVTs. The latest generation of CVTs are having issues related to JATCO not doing the best in making them.

My car has been very very good and reliable. I do think you are correct in that Nissan has not been as strong as the need to be. Too many major problems for the latest 2012-15 cars. According to True Delta my yr of Altima is a whole lot more reliable than these newer cars. True Delta is found on the Nissan and Infiniti site by the way.

Originally Posted By: ryanm8
I was active on the Infiniti G35 and 350Z forums for 5 years and never once heard of that, or any other common engine issues (other than oil consumption). The one in the Maxima is very similar.

I know the 2nd Gen EA888 from VW had timing chain tensioner issues, so maybe you are thinking of that?

I'm not into Nissans but I've heard about this multiple times. I've even seen people selling their cars dirt cheap on craigslist because it has this problem. http://www.nissanproblems.com/trends/timing-chain/

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: ryanm8

I'm not into Nissans but I've heard about this multiple times. I've even seen people selling their cars dirt cheap on craigslist because it has this problem. http://www.nissanproblems.com/trends/timing-chain/

This is interesting that it would affect those vehicles but not the G35/350z. The engines are very similar. Who knows, maybe made in a different plant.

As far as the CVT's go, I had a 2008 Altima with a CVT. Not one issue with that car. My girlfriend has a 2012 Rogue, not one issue with that car either. I do the fluid changes myself and only use Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid. I think most of the issues are improper fluid or improper fluid level.

The most impeccably reliable cars I've ever had personal experience with are my present car (see sig),my 96 3000GT, 90 Olds Delta 88 (3800 Series I),and friend's 97 Altima.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
The most impeccably reliable cars I've ever had personal experience with are my present car (see sig),my 96 3000GT, 90 Olds Delta 88 (3800 Series I),and friend's 97 Altima.

I see you have 1990's Nissans. They were pretty good back then and many people kept them because of their reliability. I have a friend who loves the 300ZX's, they were very ahead of its time for 1990. The engine desging was far ahead of others. He buys and sells them all the time, i guess the achillies heal for the 3.0 were the fuel injectors that Nissan later corrected.

OP, do you have any type of startup rattle or a rattle coming from the timing component area once veh is warmed up and idling?

Originally Posted By: stower17
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I see you have 1990's Nissans. They were pretty good back then and many people kept them because of their reliability. I have a friend who loves the 300ZX's, they were very ahead of its time for 1990. The engine desging was far ahead of others. He buys and sells them all the time, i guess the achillies heal for the 3.0 were the fuel injectors that Nissan later corrected.

OP, do you have any type of startup rattle or a rattle coming from the timing component area once veh is warmed up and idling?

Stower....I have no clang or engine noise. So far I'm at 108k and this one has been solid. CVT included. It does rev high when cold on initial start up but always has. It seems I just went to far out with the oil change. I'm doing 5k next to see what I get. It wasnt like the 9k oil change came back all THAT bad either.

I do monitor the CVT fluid and did change it out. I will be on it big time as well. As far as I know there is only Amsoil and Nissan CVT fluid for these guys. She doesn't burn any oil either. Barely used and over 9k OCI.

I'd love a 7k but if I have to go 5k no biggie. But I would swith from the M1 EP at that interval.

Look at all of this nonsense...ALL manufacturers have QA issues one way or another.
CVT issues?
I have an 09 Sentra with 292+k miles and it runs like a top. Only issue...Wheel bearing needs to be changed. More reliable than my 14 ST with only 11k when i traded it in.
High metals in your UOA?
You went way over the manufacture recommended OCI, almost double. No wonder.
Oil consumption?
My 3rd Nissan and none used a drop. Want OC issues? Buy a Subaru.
Cold clatter?
Ever owned a Kia or Hyundai?
Thin paint?
Buy a Focus thats chipped on the lot by poor fitting tail lights and get back to me.
Early catalytic converter fail?
Google how many manufacturers it happens to.
Yes, I may be biased. But all of this nonsense because of 1 UOA is irrational thinking.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Look at all of this nonsense...ALL manufacturers have QA issues one way or another.
CVT issues?
I have an 09 Sentra with 292+k miles and it runs like a top. Only issue...Wheel bearing needs to be changed. More reliable than my 14 ST with only 11k when i traded it in.
High metals in your UOA?
You went way over the manufacture recommended OCI, almost double. No wonder.
Oil consumption?
My 3rd Nissan and none used a drop. Want OC issues? Buy a Subaru.
Cold clatter?
Ever owned a Kia or Hyundai?
Thin paint?
Buy a Focus thats chipped on the lot by poor fitting tail lights and get back to me.
Early catalytic converter fail?
Google how many manufacturers it happens to.
Yes, I may be biased. But all of this nonsense because of 1 UOA is irrational thinking.

Thank you. Have had great luck with several Nissan's as well.

My parents have a 01 Supercharged Frontier with 262k. Running very well with mostly routine maintenance. They also have an 07 Altima with 134k. CVT works GREAT. Had one problem. Climate control Blower Motor relay failed last summer.

Last edited:
I just hit 230K on a VQ35DE which sits in my 2004 350Z. It still gets excellent UOA's with Mobil 1 0W-40, never had a CEL on, runs strong, and the only engine work I've done (besides routine maintenance, plugs etc) is replace water pump at 160K. Maybe I just got one of the few good ones? Nah..I've driven that car hard since the day it left the lot. For me, there is no question about Nissan build quality. That's just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back