Got new tires mounted. WTH is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like a piece of rubber sticking from between rim and tire. i pulled and it doesn't move. normally, i would take it back, but noticed next day, now busy at work/holidays, and the kid has the car with her now.

IMG_20151220_155945_646_zpst8ckyvum.jpg

I would definitely take that back, looks like rubber torn off the bead when installed.

Last edited:
looks like they might have torn the bead of the tire on install?

It should be leaking air, and you'll be asking them for a new tire and then ask them to use some lube when they mount the replacement.

If it's as thin as it looks in the picture, nothing to be concerned with. It looks like the rim has a sharp edge on it from hitting a curb and skinned the tire as it was being mounted.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If it's as thin as it looks in the picture, nothing to be concerned with. It looks like the rim has a sharp edge on it from hitting a curb and skinned the tire as it was being mounted.

no, the rim has no sharp edge/no damage. This is a steel wheel with plastic cover.
are you saying it's safe to drive?

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

no, the rim has no sharp edge/no damage. This is a steel wheel with plastic cover.
are you saying it's safe to drive?

From the picture it looks no thicker than a post card. If that is the case, I wouldn't be concerned. You can see the area where it was torn from, is there a substantial amount of rubber left? There appears to be.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would definitely take that back, looks like rubber torn off the bead when installed.

Don't settle for this, take it back and politely explain the issue have them install another new tire.

From the picture it looks no thicker than a post card. If that is the case, I wouldn't be concerned. You can see the area where it was torn from, is there a substantial amount of rubber left? There appears to be.

well, it's not post card thick. it's rope thick. nothing is missing outside, it must have come from inside. i'm thinking the person who said torn bead is right.
i'll take it back, hopefully soon.

I had this a few years back on a set of Bridgestone Insignia (awful tire). One of them had a chunk of rubber sticking out.

I broke down the tire and inspected the front and back beads closely; nothing was missing.

However, then and in this case, I would be inclined to think that the bead is ripped.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
What brand tire is that? I wouldn't think the bead on a new, top quality tire would peel off like that. Are these Chinese tires, by chance?

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422Plus 195-60R15 made in USA

They look kind of brown for new tires. what's the date code? Should be a 4 digit number. The first two digits are the week and the last two are the year.

A plug? This has nothing to do with the quality of the tires or a plug. The tire was clearly damaged during installation. Now if it impacts the integrity of the tire or not is up for debate. From the pictures it doesn't appear to but if the OP has any doubt he needs to take it in for inspection.

I'm going to second the idea of a torn bead during install. Could still
Be just fine with a bit of head sealant applied before seating the bead. But you shouldn't have that issue when you paid for new tires.

There's an L-shaped flap inside the bead, and I've seen those damaged by mounting, and even hold air. But it all stays within the rim.

The doohickey you have sticking out looks like it was dragged out by UN-mounting, like you got a used tire, or at least one that was mounted then undone and put back on the shelf, for whatever reason.

Get a pic with your cell phone of the serial number, or at least the date code. When you complain they could take a knife, cut that tab off, and reinstall, claiming "new".

It could also be a piece of your old tire, left in place by the sloppiest employee ever.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's an L-shaped flap inside the bead, and I've seen those damaged by mounting, and even hold air. But it all stays within the rim.

The doohickey you have sticking out looks like it was dragged out by UN-mounting, like you got a used tire, or at least one that was mounted then undone and put back on the shelf, for whatever reason.

Get a pic with your cell phone of the serial number, or at least the date code. When you complain they could take a knife, cut that tab off, and reinstall, claiming "new".

It could also be a piece of your old tire, left in place by the sloppiest employee ever.

That's exactly what I would do. Bring it back ASAP, and have them replace the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back