Tire Dismount / Re-Mount Prices - Ugh!

Dismounting the old tire (manually) sucks more than installing a brand new one. Sidewalls get stiff over time. Sometimes the beads get nicked, too, so you have to worry about them sealing on the new rim.

I second the HF mounter idea, spend a few hours with that and sixty bucks will never seem so cheap!

Crossed my fingers and went for a new set from Amazon and had them delivered to a local Mavis for mounting and balancing. Surprisingly fresh tires and Mavis’ deal with Amazon is $16 a tire. So far so good.

Dismounting the old tire (manually) sucks more than installing a brand new one. Sidewalls get stiff over time. Sometimes the beads get nicked, too, so you have to worry about them sealing on the new rim.

I second the HF mounter idea, spend a few hours with that and sixty bucks will never seem so cheap!
I just throw them in a sheet if road plate (1" steel) and use the excavator to break the bead.

Granted wouldn't do that on nice wheels.

. We are here to sell tires. Not install someone else's.
Its not that simple. Of course you want to sell your tires and charge for the labor too. Thing is, if you are a larger store, that implies full service. Service earns you repeat customers, possibly for life. You don't want people walking away feeling gouged by a higher cost just because "you" did not sell them the tire. They might pay it, then walk away never to be seen again. I deal with people and businesses who make me feel welcome, not resentful that I happen to bring in a tire to be mounted.

Our local Walmart won't mount used tires. They told me because they can't prove they aren't stolen. I usually mount my own truck tires then look for a special on balancing.

Walmart wouldn't mount a brand new temporary spare that I wanted to replace the rubber on because the old one was over 10 years old.

"Oh we don't mount temporary spares."

"Why not?"

"Oh, it's too much of a liability."

"That makes no sense at all."

Ended up having to go to a Goodyear shop to have it done.

I change our trailer/caravan tyres at 5 years old. Would never consider fitting a 5 year old tyre at all. While there might be lots of tread, there will be unseen UV damage etc.

In fact, the caravan insurance companies will not cover your caravan if any tyres are 7 years old or more.

When I was a kid, my morbidly thrifty father used to mount and dismount his own tires in the driveway, including use of tubes. He would use tire irons, and to break the bead on the tire to be dismounted, he would position the wheel in front of another car and drive over the uninflated old tire.

And then he would inflate the new tires with a hand air pump.

And then he would try to balance the tires by loosening a wheel bearing, putting that tire/wheel on that hub, and seeing if one side gravitated to the bottom. Then he would put a weight on the opposite side, until no side of the wheel gravitated toward the bottom.

What did I learn from all of this? What I learned was, go to a tire installer who has Hunter Revolution equipment.

When I was a kid, my morbidly thrifty father used to mount and dismount his own tires in the driveway, including use of tubes. He would use tire irons, and to break the bead on the tire to be dismounted, he would position the wheel in front of another car and drive over the uninflated old tire.

And then he would try to balance the tires by loosening a wheel bearing, putting that tire/wheel on that hub, and seeing if one side gravitated to the bottom. Then he would put a weight on the opposite side, until no side of the wheel gravitated toward the bottom.

What did I learn from all of this? What I learned was, go to a tire installer who has Hunter Revolution equipment.
I can't imagine pumping up a tire by hand. How did he get the beads to seat?

I can't imagine pumping up a tire by hand. How did he get the beads to seat?
If you used tubes, they would seat themselves. But he would sometimes pick up the wheel with new tire on it, and bounce it on the driveway in an effort to seat the bead.

I change our trailer/caravan tyres at 5 years old. Would never consider fitting a 5 year old tyre at all. While there might be lots of tread, there will be unseen UV damage etc.

In fact, the caravan insurance companies will not cover your caravan if any tyres are 7 years old or more.
That's crazy. I have a trailer with tires from the 1970s on it.
Worst case is one blows, oh well, there's still 7 more.

About 6 years ago I had a bead leak. My dad too, was frugal, he didn't balance his tires, I guess it was optional at one point. Maybe what it was, was that static was included, spin was extra.

Anyway, I figure I'm not paying $20+ for this, but it is inconvenient having to add air daily. I'll use duct tape since it fixes everything. You think I'm kidding but I'm serious.

I deflated the tire, and tried to pry the bead up, so I could insert some duct tape to seal the leak area. After maybe an hour of doing this, I got the tape in. To my surprise, it now made the air leak tremendously.

If you take into consideration what my employer charges for my services, that was $400 for nothing. But not for nothing. I like doing and learning, even when it results in failure.

Anyway I did go to a tire shop and this was one where you can look over the tech's shoulder. So when he got the tire off? Both of us were surprised, there really wasn't much if any corrosion. He put some sealant and I was out $30 for all of this. In retrospect I shoulda kept filling up the tire as that's what my dad would have done :ROFLMAO:

I'm pretty resourceful when looking around for best prices. Ive mounted and balanced some tires in my dad and whole process does take over an hour from time the car comes in to drive out.

But generally, I've come to accept, 4 tires installed will be $80-120. Normally i see $100 being the very normal. $20 per tire and like those EPA tire fees and etc.

I get used tires from these 2nd hand shops around they are normally $20-35 installed.

This is considering they are standard normal tires either on SUV or car.

$200+ is crazy unless there is a reason like roadforce balancing or some crazy Run-Flat with low profile.

As the manager of a "larger" tire store, I can tell you that customer supplied tire installation should ALWAYS cost more than install cost when someone is purchasing tires. We are here to sell tires. Not install someone else's. Min is $45/tire to M&B, and if there is dismounting involved it's higher. If they are big truck tires, or low profile high performance tires, prices increase some more.
I don't know this which is why I'm asking. I can't imagine there's a ton of profit in the tire sale itself. Especially on a budget tire. Is the profit not in the mount/balance charge anyway?

I get it that a 4-tire dismount/mount/balance is a lot of work and everyone want's to make $40/hr now to start.

I guess I'm fortunate to have some busy local shops that will mount/balance 4 carry-ins for ~$100. I've only experienced one local tire store that will not install tires not purchased from them and that was years ago. I never went back.

I just had a local shop M&B 4 low-profile (245/40R19) tires on my Regal (I carried them in). Price was $150 cash OTD, and I've never seen better work. They even lined up the dots on the sidewall with the valve stems. I wouldn't have tried that hard even if I was the one doing the mounting.

For that price, they've got my tire business from here on out.

I'm pretty resourceful when looking around for best prices. Ive mounted and balanced some tires in my dad and whole process does take over an hour from time the car comes in to drive out.

But generally, I've come to accept, 4 tires installed will be $80-120. Normally i see $100 being the very normal. $20 per tire and like those EPA tire fees and etc.

I get used tires from these 2nd hand shops around they are normally $20-35 installed.

This is considering they are standard normal tires either on SUV or car.

$200+ is crazy unless there is a reason like roadforce balancing or some crazy Run-Flat with low profile.
Back in the day I never wanted anyone to lift my BMW because I was pretty confident they don’t use the adapters (today even Costco has the flat lift pads).

Dealer wanted $320 to mount and balance in 2016 so no way. Indie shop $120 and they had no issue with me providing new TPMS. When I came to get my car I walked into the shop, and it was being hand washed. I knew I found the right shop to slap on the Pilot Super Sports purchased online. Also no scratches on the rims and the rears are 35’s. I had a Goodyear once scratch 4 brand new aftermarket rims on my Nissan. That was sad. TR actually made it right, replaced all 4.

I ordered 4 Kumho TA31 from local DT, priced match to Simpletire online.
4 tires+tax > 51.95*4*1.08125=$224.68
4 m&b+tax? > 29*4*1.08125=$125.43............maybe including tires disposal. Looks reasonable. CarX with simpletire quote showed $26.49/tire installation.

Back