Fram PH9837 Cut open. Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Saturn Vue 3.5 V-6
Just under 3000 miles on this run. 3rd oil change since son got this Vue from his aunt. Regular oil changes at the aunt's dealer previously.

Two previous oil changes since getting it looked fine. Now, a sea of crud appears. Lots of waves in the pleats, but no ripping.

This was a Fram PH9837 with Valvoline Next Gen 5w30. 2970 miles in 9 months.
Previous was same...NextGen w/ 9837. 3000 miles.
First change was NextGen with Purolator Pure One. 3000 miles.

All short trip severe service, less than 5 miles to work.

Anyone have any thoughts why this one looks so bad?

]Overview[/url]

Are you sure on the year of that Vue? 2008 would have the GM made 3.6 older versions would have a Honda 3.5.

The element looks like it could just be the typical ugly OCOD but I am wondering if you have coolant getting into the oil by the nasty looking sludge at the bottom of the can. That thing really looks nasty for a 3k oci.

1. 2008 for sure. Owners manual says both 3.5 and 3.6 were available as well as the 4 cyl depending on the trim. It says 3.5 in letters about 6 inches high under the hood.

2. Mileage is 93,000

3. Previous two oil changes used that $1 Clearance sale Next Gen. Previous two changes looked fine, no wavy pleats, no crud in the can.

4. This run is Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 (another $1 special) and a Purolator Synthetic Filter.

5. Auntie and Uncle both work for GM Corporate, so they are true believers in Dealer service. 3000, maybe 5000 miles tops....whatever the dealer wants. They spent almost $80 to get the wiper blades replaced once.

6. Fill hole looks typical for a vehicle with almost 100k. Not spotless, but certainly not ugly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartanfool
2008 Saturn Vue 3.5 V-6
Just under 3000 miles on this run. 3rd oil change since son got this Vue from his aunt. Regular oil changes at the aunt's dealer previously.

By the looks of the crud in the filter, I'd say the oil changes at the dealership may have been "regular", but not often enough.

Take it out for some good runs on the freeway. I would do a couple shorter OCI until the volume of junk goes down.

that would look acceptable if it was the unicorn saturn vue diesel edition.

The OCOD looks like [censored] because they are built like [censored]. Nothing new here. There is a reason it earned the name orange can of death. You will be much happier with the build quality of the P1.

As for the sludge, It has nothing to do with the valvoline being junk oil. It is just fine for short OCIs.

You are probably seeing the sludge now because you are doing shorter oil change intervals that are doing a good job cleaning out the motor. I think the gunk in this case is a good thing. It shows that you are succeeding in cleaning out the motor with good oil and frequent changes.

I would start doing five minute motor flushes before each oil change and continue to use good quality oils and change it frequently. In time, the sludge should disappear and the motor will run like a champ!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Run
Take it out for some good runs on the freeway. I would do a couple shorter OCI until the volume of junk goes down.

X2!

Last edited:

Actually, I did that recently. Ran it for a half hour each way to work last week for several days. I was itching to get the mileage up towards 3000 miles so I would feel less guilty about a short OCI.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
The OCOD looks like [censored] because they are built like [censored]. Nothing new here. There is a reason it earned the name orange can of death. You will be much happier with the build quality of the P1.

There's also a reason why a certain filter got the name Tear-o-lator.

Yeah, you'll be much happier with "build quality" with a filter that fails.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: jk_636

There's also a reason why a certain filter got the name Tear-o-lator.

Yeah, you'll be much happier with "build quality" with a filter that fails.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm leaving both on the shelf and buying a Wix.

Frams are no good, look how dirty the element is and how much black junk was left in the can. Looks terrible. Use the Purotater Classic, it will stay nice and clean.

I see no issue with this specimen. No tears. I have one installed (PH3614) on my SL2 right now, at 3k miles now. They work fine. The last one I used for over 5k miles and it looked spectacular when I cut it open. I posted it earlier this year.

Originally Posted By: Spartanfool

Actually, I did that recently. Ran it for a half hour each way to work last week for several days. I was itching to get the mileage up towards 3000 miles so I would feel less guilty about a short OCI.

No shame in the 3k mile OCI. That is just what this thing needs! I still think a can of 5 minute motor flush would really break a lot of that stuff up!!

And don't mind the Frampires jumping on my build quality statement. I apologize for those trying to hijack your thread.

There is a lot of animosity between those that ride the bandwagon and myself as I have used plenty of P1s, also in severe service conditions. Great filtration (better than FU, the great @20 vs >20 micron debate) and never had a problem.

Good luck with whatever filter/oil combination you decide on. Keep us updated. You may want to do some before and after cleaning shots of the underside of that valve cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back