Finally got to drive my Camaro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was planning to buy new Camaro SS in January, I just couldn't get over the sticker shock of $42,000. Starting searching for a used V8 Camaro on C/L....Wow what of bunch of junk, Overpriced junk at that.

Long story short, I picked up a clean 2001 V6 Camaro with a blown engine for $1200, Pulled the '04 5.3L/4L60E out of the old '85 Suburban that I couldn't give away if I tried.
Trimmed it out with a Camaro oil pan, LS2 intake, 2011 Camaro front accessories, Aeromotive fuel rails & Regulator, Reused the truck PCM, Throttle body, Throttle pedal, TAC module, MAF sensor, Map sensor. Had the PCM custom tuned to run the Camaro cluster/Tire size/Gear ratio, BP Automotive built me a custom Engine Harness. Rebuilt the rear diff with a Posi carrier & 3.42 gears. Freshened the trans with new planetaries, Sonnax shift kit, Sonnax sunshell, Alto Hi-Energy frictions, new OEM 2/4 Band, Vette 2nd servo, & Sonnax 4th gear servo.
Bilstein Struts & Shocks, OEM Pads & rotors all around, BBK headers & Y-pipe, 3" single out the back with a Borla muffler.

The low end torque is amazing in a light car!, Haven't made any full throttle runs yet (Differential gears & Trans still "Breaking In") Happy enough just getting to drive it after 6 months of devoting most of my free time to this project & all my Vacation time.

Handles great to me even with the V6 sway bars & the Iron block 5.3L. Will step up to better sway bars later. Still need to mount the 245/50ZR16 BFG G-force Comp-2 tires, Want to get used to the car with junk tires first (Worn out Kumho Solus)

3.8L underhood shot

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Nice. Stock heads and Cam?

'05 LQ9 cam(Same as late LS1 cam), Hardened "Jegs" 7.4" push rods, New L92 valve springs, Stock "706" heads. Stock "TMBX" truck torque converter for now, Wanted a little stall but money got tight at the end.

This is BITOG, Fluids I'm running...
5w-40 Mobil 1 TDT
Mobil 1 multi vehicle ATF
Mobil 1 LS 75w/90 gear oil
Royal Purple PS fluid
Prestone Dex-Cool

Awesome!!!! I love stuff like this! I tuned my buddy's 99 Z28 6M. He has Torquer V3 cam, double valve springs, hardened pushrods, LS7 clutch, stock rear end, SLP oil pump, SLP? trunion bearings.

That thing runs strong. He is doing 5.3 heads (243) from TSP over the winter I think.

edit: and some of the minor stuff: SLP lid, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, 180 t-stat, Strano springs, KONI adjustables, Optima Yellow top, touch screen 1.5 din? (I think) with custom center bezel thing, poly everything, performance trailing arms-- panhard bar-- track bar, polyurethane front control arm bushings, C5 knockoffs, BFG Comp2 ?, stock brakes and of course leaking pinon seal.

I'm sure stuff I forgot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Great work!!! You gonna put it on the rollers and/or get some 1/4 mile times?

Plan to have it Dyno Tuned with a wideband to get the A/F ratio just right because of the mods I've made. If it makes 250 HP & 300 Ft Lbs at the rear wheels....I will be happy!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Nice! Gonna try for AC?

It has A/C, Building the hose assembly was a PITA! Had a buddy TIG weld SAE crimps on, And crimped my own hoses.

Awesome! LOVE seeing hot-rod builds using stuff that never went together before!

You now have a 327 Camaro! Very retro! I'd find some 327 badges for it...you'd throw people for a loop!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm wondering why the V6 air cleaner won't work with the V8. They look very similar.

It's offset to the drivers side to clear the 3.8L alternator, It will not work on a V8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back