dispatch for tow truck/lockout service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I switched insurance providers to a local Texas company, in business for 75 years.

Anyways, I saved several hundred dollars, and got their premiere package or whatever they call it.

It includes towing and lockout service, as well as a few other things for $69 per year included in the auto insurance.

Anyways, I was reviewing the documents and noticed that there was no 1800 number for us to call for roadside assistance should I require it.

I called the agent, they said they just pay the claim, that I needed to call a tow truck or lockout service of my choice, and they would reimburse, up to $150 per incident.

So I started looking for a service to sign up for that offers towing at decent rates that will not rip us off.

Allstate has this service called good hands, but it seems lousy for the per incident cost.

I basically want something easy for my wife to call if her car breaks down, and not some shady tow operating company that will rip us off.

Thanks,

JH6

We had AAA for years, just cancelled them because of the cost, also we already got this deal from the insurance company for essentially nothing.

They saved us several hundred dollars, and pretty much threw this in.

i have progressive roadside asst i have used it like a dozen times over the last year and its only like $2 per month
they have brought me gas, gave me jumpstarts, towed me car to a garage of my choice
it covers everything i never pay anything up front except for like a gallon of gas they bring to me

I just use AAA plus. I've had to had them tow me anywhere from 30-100 miles. Well worth it and it's just a simple phone call.

State Farm & Farmers Insurance have their roadside assistance and it's about $0.70 per month, they have a phone number to call. I've never used it but if I get a flat and it's 115 degrees outside I'll probably call them.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
stay away from allstate.. AAA is your best bet unless they price themselves out of the box.

stay away from allsnake..

We tried AAA's plan on a discount offer. It was terrible! Never again. We have towing on our auto policy. Just pay it and forward the bill to the ins. co.

Might be easier to call 411 and ask for a towing service. Maybe whittle the results down to the mouth breathers with 800-numbers.

i am disabled and have been on medicare since age 30 and you do not need to be a certain age to join aarp
restrictions may apply

Oh, dear..no to AAA. I had them, and the few times I called it took 90 minutes to get a truck. Not acceptable. And no to Cross Country, they damaged the front of my car..the operator admitted this to me at the time, then recanted, and Cross Country blamed me! Who needs that?

I've been using Good Sam for 3 years, and called them twice. They came within 30 minutes, treated my car with kid gloves, and got me where I needed to be without any fuss...once on a Sunday afternoon. 5 stars!

with progressive i have waited 2 hours or more on a jumpstart but it just depends on how busy the tow truck is
i live in wv ran out of gas and they sent a large flatbed truck from ky to bring me a gallon of gas
big waste on their part

Originally Posted By: Noey
Oh, dear..no to AAA. I had them, and the few times I called it took 90 minutes to get a truck. Not acceptable. And no to Cross Country, they damaged the front of my car..the operator admitted this to me at the time, then recanted, and Cross Country blamed me! Who needs that?

I've been using Good Sam for 3 years, and called them twice. They came within 30 minutes, treated my car with kid gloves, and got me where I needed to be without any fuss...once on a Sunday afternoon. 5 stars!

They sub contract to other tow truck operators so it's hit or miss whether you get great service or not and how busy they are. They do make it a priority depending on where you break down. Once I was in the break down lane of a major interstate with cars blasting by at 70+, I think they showed up within 10 minutes. Other times if you're just in a parking lot, they'll come when they can. Had them for years. They were more useful in the 90's when you would get free maps and tour books. I still look through the tour books once in a while, but the maps and their triptiks are pointless now with GPS.

Also some people don't like to use the towing through their insurance on the theory that any claim might jack up your rates and of course AAA doesn't count for any of that.

I've been a AAA member for years.
Myself and group of friends used to make regular fishing/drinking trips to Grand Isle, Louisiana. One night, I locked the keys in my truck so I called AAA. Serveral hours later (2-3am??) an unhappy tow truck driver arrived to slim Jim the door open. By then, I'd forgotten about locking the keys in the truck and exactly where the truck was even. 😊
As it Turned out, the poor driver lived in a town over two hours away and he was either the only willing company to make the trip to the costal town or the only one dedicated enough to answer his phone. He was really upset when I told him the truck wasn't going anywhere and he could have waited till morning to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back