Considing a 2015 VW Golf TSI....big mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as an owner, my personal opinion on VW is only buy one if you really, really want it. You will likely see higher than average maintenance (even allowing for improvements in recent VW quality), and said maintenance will be more expensive than a comparable Japanese or US car.

The only way I'd consider a VW is to lease for the length of the warrantee, and as that is a waste of $$...

Having said that, my Dad's Passat was 100% trouble-free.

I would in a second get a brand new golf or Gti, but I would plan on keeping it nowhere near that long

I won't speak to reliability as I had a 2002 Jetta TDI. That was 13 years ago. I am sure they have gotten better. I will speak from the drivers prospective. I have never once felt the Jetta drove or did anything better than my any of my Grand Prix's or my Regal GS. I always found it odd that people said it would be a drivers car. Again how a car drives is is pretty subjective. I was not impressed by VW in that respect.

I guess if you can afford the extra costs, go for it. I do however, question that they are so great to drive. It seems the German car drivers like to perpetuate that myth to the point of being obnoxious.

Reminds me of the joke: Whats the difference between a Porcupine and a VW driver? The Porcupine has [censored] on the outside....badaboom...I'll be her all night.

Originally Posted By: flinter
No, extended warranties are NOT a must and almost ALWAYS a complete
waste of money!

Based on our experience with an MB C300, the extended warranty has paid for itself many times over. Glad we had it.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Speaking as an owner, my personal opinion on VW is only buy one if you really, really want it.

Well said. There are many reasons to buy a VW. Reliability is not necessarily one of them, although it's not horrible either. The devil lies in the details, I guess. I know some owners whose VWs have been very reliable and others that have not. The same can be said about just about any car brand. But statistically, VW isn't as reliable as Toyota or Honda.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I guess if you can afford the extra costs, go for it. I do however, question that they are so great to drive. It seems the German car drivers like to perpetuate that myth to the point of being obnoxious.

Reminds me of the joke: Whats the difference between a Porcupine and a VW driver? The Porcupine has [censored] on the outside....badaboom...I'll be her all night.
I suspect many VW drivers now see themselves as "outa my way" BMW or Audi wannabees and so act.

Originally Posted By: philipp10

Well, the ones that are the real Euro VWs have nice driving dynamics and good quality interiors. They'll have features like a firm suspension, tight steering, good handling, manual transmissions available and the clutches and shifters are usually pretty good for a FWD car.

I've done a good bit of shopping and test drove quite a few different cars. When you compare our VW Jetta to cars like a Corolla or my 07 Hyundai Sonata, the differences in driving dynamics and interior quality will be significant.

Other people may not value those things, but they matter to me. I don't care if other people drive Corollas or another appliance if that's what they want.

I don't think VWs are "better" than other brands, many of the models just have features I like. Mazda is the same way with a focus on driving dynamics.

So what about VW's 10,000 recommended OCI?? Also, does the 1.8T TSI turbo require FULL synthetic oil and can one assumed that ALL VW dealers actually use FULL synthetic for the oil changes?

Last edited:
Close to 7 quarts of oil is a lot for a 1.8 liter engine. I'd bet it can indeed go the length of the oil change interval specified.

So what about VW's 10,000 recommended OCI??

I would say it depends on your driving patterns. If you're primarily short tripping or otherwise fall in a severe service category, then 10K miles might be a bit too much. For regularly driven car, it should be fine. These cars have been on 10K+ mile OCIs in Europe for decades and do just fine.

Quote:

Also, does the 1.8T TSI turbo require FULL synthetic oil and can one assumed that ALL VW dealers actually use FULL synthetic for the oil changes?

The engine requires oil meeting VW 502.00 oil. Realistically, only certain synthetic oils meet this spec. VW basically wants you to run high quality oil in order to easily make it to 10K miles. Many of the tests that comprise the VW 502.00 spec focus on extended use performance.

VW dealers do in fact use VW 502.00 approved oil these days.

If I do purchase, can I do all
my service at a local independent shop that specializes in VW's? I would think the independent shop would be more reasonable than the a VW dealer?

You certainly can, but in my experience, a knowledgeable and competent independent German car shop charges similar rates to the dealer's service dept.

To really save money, just do the oil changes yourself. Although, 8 quarts of high quality synthetic is going to run you some $50, plus another $10 for the filter. So, if the dealer charges you $89, that's really not all that expensive, IMO.

Well, the ones that are the real Euro VWs have nice driving dynamics and good quality interiors. They'll have features like a firm suspension, tight steering, good handling, manual transmissions available and the clutches and shifters are usually pretty good for a FWD car.

I've done a good bit of shopping and test drove quite a few different cars. When you compare our VW Jetta to cars like a Corolla or my 07 Hyundai Sonata, the differences in driving dynamics and interior quality will be significant.

Other people may not value those things, but they matter to me. I don't care if other people drive Corollas or another appliance if that's what they want.

I don't think VWs are "better" than other brands, many of the models just have features I like. Mazda is the same way with a focus on driving dynamics.

[/quote]
So are you claiming that VW is make two models, one for the EU and one for the US? Secondly, I really have to doubt that their "driving dynamics" are really that unique. All cars nowadays are so heavily engineered, designed right to the gnats a$$ as far as weight, stiffness etc. They have to be to meet the EPA's mileage standards. I just don't buy this general statement that VW's drive so much different. I test drove many and cars, including BMW's and VW's. I will say, they feel different, especially the BMW's. But mostly that was from the different engine choices.

Man that escalated quickly...

The new 1.8TSI may run just dandy of regular in the winter but it will run better on premium or even mid-grade in the summer.

If you can't afford $4-$6 a tank you have mixed priorities.

Yes stories are over-exaggerated.

It is no worse in maintenance than any mid-level car. Your cost for oil changes are offset by the amount required.

I would gladly buy a VW over any Toyota or Honda considering their lack of driving dynamics(Driver's Car) and lackluster interior plus exterior styling.

Granted the last 2 are subjective but the first is not.

Last edited:
Buying premium for a vehicle is akin to getting 10% less MPG. Not exactly a thing for an economy car. I own two (premium) fuel pigs.

I love VW's. The newer Jetta's not so much. Better now, but they really cheapened them up. Still better than a Corolla. The only problem I have found is that the dealers are really bad. I would almost rather buy one out of warranty so I wouldn't have to deal with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back