Anyone see the Maaco episode of Undercover Boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
.... You could tell he is not a "car guy" but a businessperson....

"What's a VIN#?" Yeah, I'd say so.

Remember he was pretending to be a new hire
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
.... You could tell he is not a "car guy" but a businessperson....

"What's a VIN#?" Yeah, I'd say so.

Remember he was pretending to be a new hire
smile.gif

Point taken. Good acting job then. But agree he's more of a business person than a car guy.

I look at it a bit this way, The Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffett owns some of the largest RV Companies here in No. Indiana, but I doubt he's ever goon camping!

I've got a couple old Buicks that were painted by Schiebe in Calif 30-40 years ago=not too bad. I had a Minnesota Maaco do a great job on a car and another Maaco do terribly. I also had a student do a nice job some years ago. I've seen many paint jobs at all prices and only sometimes could relate the quality of work to the price. So I kinda chuckle when somebody talks about 'you get what you pay for' or a $8000 paint job'-this the guy that doesn't want to spent too much on oil changes!

I saw the episode. I too laughed when he thought it was absurd that they would "cut corners". I've always considered them to be the least quality work around. It's one step above a rattle can job in your garage. MAACO is the place you go for a $400 paint job before you sell the $4K car.

It's still a good show, and it makes it more interesting if you've at least heard of the company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
I look at it a bit this way, The Oracle of Omaha, Warren Buffett owns some of the largest RV Companies here in No. Indiana, but I doubt he's ever goon camping!

But owning isn't the same as running the company. So that's different.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: jcwit

But owning isn't the same as running the company. So that's different.

HaHa, Little do you know about the RV Industry. Few of those running the companies in the industry are campers either.

How do I know? I worked in management at Coachmen, my neighbor across the street relatives are those who own and run Jayco, it's a family owned company.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
Maaco is downright premium compared to the now-defunct Earl Scheib.

In some areas they are still around-
http://www.earlscheibconcord.com/

Again, they are franchise-so quality will vary.

I remember this guy well, pretty creepy, there was one ad from the early 80s that used to claim 99.95 no ups no extras. LOL

I watched a good businessman open a family run Maaco franchise location. Use good paint, do good prep and paint jobs, and pay his guys a fair wage for the work. However, with the prices he was forced to do the jobs for it was realized that it wasn't going to work. A battle took place with Maaco corporate and the guy got screwed in to closing the business and losing a ton of money. They were good people and wanted to do good, honest work.

But that's not realistically possible so you get low wage guys doing low wage work, putting out really low quality jobs.

I got a good look in to how Maaco does things and treats it franchises. I would never use them myself and never recommend anyone to one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdRock

I watched a good businessman open a family run Maaco franchise location. Use good paint, do good prep and paint jobs, and pay his guys a fair wage for the work. However, with the prices he was forced to do the jobs for it was realized that it wasn't going to work. A battle took place with Maaco corporate and the guy got screwed in to closing the business and losing a ton of money. They were good people and wanted to do good, honest work.

But that's not realistically possible so you get low wage guys doing low wage work, putting out really low quality jobs.

I got a good look in to how Maaco does things and treats it franchises. I would never use them myself and never recommend anyone to one.

I'm surprised that there isn't an cut and dried "out clause" in the event that things don't work out with their franchise. The company has been around for a looong time so they probably have all the scenarios covered.
Why didn't the guy just drop out of the MAACO agreement and go solo?
The community would have gotten a great shop with reasonable prices for good quality work.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: AdRock

I'm surprised that there isn't an cut and dried "out clause" in the event that things don't work out with their franchise. The company has been around for a looong time so they probably have all the scenarios covered.
Why didn't the guy just drop out of the MAACO agreement and go solo?
The community would have gotten a great shop with reasonable prices for good quality work.

That was a good a majority of what the fight was about. Getting out of the agreement was not cheap at all. Then add attorney costs on to that. He lost a bunch of money trying to make things work. He lost a ton of money on the new booth and other stuff he bought. By the time all was said and done he was tapped out. There was no money left to try it as an independent.

The perfect paint job is an ideal that simply does not exist. I don't care if you spend 30K on a paint job, there are imperfections.

I really get tired of it all... when some anal retentive

person paws over my car looking for flaws.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

Ugh, I have some issues with this guy's apparent new found respect for his workers.

He blasts the guy who admitted to cutting corners, but didn't really hear him out on WHY he was cutting corners. He just tells him "you can't do that" and gives him 30 days to improve. He never answers for the company's role in that employee's way of thinking and working, doesn't acknowledge it at all. It's apparently all the employee's fault...I doubt that's the reality of the situation. I would bet that employee has a lot of legitimate complaints about how Macco pressures employees to work fast above all else.

Then, with the three other employees, he's just like "hey, here's some money, thanks." OK, good for him helping out three employees who are struggling...what about the ones at the rest of their stores? I'm sure there's at least one sob story in every one of them. Why not make an actual change like changing the pay structure to make it easier for employees to earn a living wage?

Then, when they talk about redoing the one guy's store for $35K, the CEO doesn't talk about improving the building itself, or investing in tools or an oven. He talks about iPads in the waiting room, which will look like an iStore. Great...I'm sure that will improve working conditions, morale, quality, productivity...not. I see that happen all the time with companies like this...they dump money into waiting rooms every year or two while the shop falls apart with unsafe lifts, broken lights, no heat, etc.

At the end of the episode, I still don't think the CEO has any real appreciation for what it means to be a bottom rung worker at a Macco store. It looks like his background was quite privileged without any economic hardship, so it may be something he is never able to appreciate. Still, if he really wants his company to be seen as a quality paint shop, ignoring criticism and putting iPads in the waiting room won't do it.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Still, if he really wants his company to be seen as a quality paint shop, ignoring criticism and putting iPads in the waiting room won't do it.

I was also wondering how iPads could possibly improve their paint jobs.

This is what happens when people take charge with purely education-based credentials and zero experience. It wouldn't be all bad if they'd listen to the voices of experience within their company - but clearly this guy doesn't. Worse, he seems to be surrounded by a hoard of 'yes men/women'.

Props to outside the box thinking - Ipads in the waiting room are possibly a response to complaints from guests about wait times. Kinda makes me wonder what auto-body related situations would call for a waiting room, I hope they're not spraying cars as you wait, LOL.

Originally Posted By: cbear
I didn't get the purpose for the Ipads for this business.

Oh, the CEO is just reading too many fluff articles in
that disgusting rag called "Automotive News" which is an
automotive industry trade publication, but in reality is just a
suck up to the big boys in that industry especially "$tealerships".

AN constantly has articles about how the automotive repair business needs to provide technology for the customers in the waiting room, as well as espresso, and pastries and nice paint and chairs, but they don't want to speak of the biggest problem the incompetent, and crooked reputation that the service and repair industry so deservingly gets from most customers...naw...lets just put lipstick on the pig so to speak and maybe the "consumer" will think because the waiting room is nice that the service will be honest and competent.
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif
crazy2.gif
mad.gif
smirk.gif
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back