Techron D concentrate MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome..

I found a Material Safety Data Sheet for Techron D concentrate. This is diesel additive.

1/. Distillates(petroleum), hydrotreated light. 40 - 70%
2/. 2-ethylhexyl nitrate 10 - 30%
3/. Branched alkanol 1 - 4.9%

Then I found Caltex Vortex injector cleaner MSDS:

1/. Distillates(petroleum), hydrotreated light. >60%
2/. 2-ethylhexyl nitrate 10 - 30%
3/. 2-Ethylhexanol 4/. Ingredients determined to be non-hazardous - Balance

Given that both have a specific gravity of .85 I suggest the ingredients are more commonly known as:
1/. Kerosene
2/. Cetane improver
3/. Alcohol

I expected to find Polyetheramine. But no. Does PEA only work for gasoline?

Where I live, the diesel is marketed as "Caltex Diesel with Techron® D" so is the above what it has??
confused.gif

Can the knowledgeable comment please..
Thanks

I'm no chemist but one could read it as: PEA content could be disguised on ethylhexyl nitrate, since it has ethyls (polyethylenes) and nitrogen (nitrate) (amines) ...
Someone could elucidade or guess it better than me.

IMO MSDS isn't a full ingredients list, just a harzadous to health material list. What isn't considered harzardous, don't make to the list pretty much.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm no chemist either though I had on good authority the ethylhexyl nitrate was a cetane improver. Anyway I asked Mr.Google to double check.
According to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number
Quote: "Alkyl nitrates (principally 2-ethylhexyl nitrate) and di-tert-butyl peroxide are used as additives to raise the cetane number."

Looking at the list of chemicals, the Vortex additive #4 openly states "Ingredients determined to be non-hazardous" and gives quantity as "balance". This could be a tactic to create illusion that up to 25% could be the top secret stuff!
Also as much of a puzzle is why the variation in figures, see example: Techron D #1 quoted as 40 -70%. That's a very large variation!!

I'd have thought that if the product contained PEA, they'd be opening boasting of its' presence as a marketing enticement. After all they state quite plainly it's in gasoline Techron.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Maybe PEA acts as a cetane improver, also? /Dunno

Thanks for thought. I think you may have touched on the reason it isn't (apparently) used in diesel.
As I understand cetane and octane are the inverse or opposite of each other so if PEA favored octane then one could reason it was more suiting gasoline.
Another aspect about the suitability of PEA has been brought up. In a diesel engine, the fuel does not wash across the inlet valve, rather it is directly injected into the combustion chamber. Non DI gasoline engines wet the valve so the thought is they can benefit more.

I think your reasoning is fair. Just don't know if cetane is the contrary of octane (that should be heptane?). Maybe cetane has more to do with start of speed flame of diesel burning, but I'm not sure ... Agree with the valve wash by PEA, also as the best manner to deal with deposits on stem/tulip parts.

Last edited:
To help understand I found a quote to describe octane vs cetane:
Cetane number (diesel fuel) and octane number (gasoline) both measure the tendency of the fuel to ignite spontaneously. In the cetane number scale, high values represent fuels that ignite readily and, therefore, perform better in a diesel engine. In the octane number scale, high values represent fuels that resist spontaneous ignition and, therefore, have less tendency to knock in a gasoline engine. Because both scales were developed so that higher numbers represent higher quality for the respective use, high cetane number fuels have low octane numbers, and vice versa.

I would elaborate briefly like this:
In a gasoline engine, the piston compresses a mixture of gasoline and air so the fuel must resist the tendency to ignite prematurely before the spark plug fires. These engines require the fuel to highly resist any pre ignition tendency.
A diesel engine compresses only air, the fuel is not injected till the ignition point is reached. Therefore these engines require fuel that ignites without resisting.

The Archoil product tech sheet is very interesting. Thankyou for posting the link.

AR6400-D Professional PEA Concentrate, quote: For Diesel and Biofuel Blended Diesel.
Also states:AR6400-D is a fuel additive blended from the latest high-strength polyetheramines and PIBSA/PIBSI detergents.
No exact MSDS match for the product number was available.

The nearest product, AR6400 Professional PEA Concentrate had both tech sheet and MSDS.
AR6400 Professional PEA Concentrate
Reading up on the product I note the following points:
1. For Petrol and Diesel Engines, Complete Fuel System Cleaner.
2. 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene 3. Polyether amine 30-50%
4. 2-ethylhexyl nitrate
Here's the thing,, Item number 4. is a cetane improver. Would that be wanted/ideal in an additive product for gasoline?

maybe improving the cetane value = better self cleaning for diesel engines?

Deisel engines are not built the same, different requirements/strategies will be the norm imho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back