To Change, or Not to Change... Focus ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is a 2013 Focus ST (2.0L Turbo I-4, Direct Injection) with 15k miles.

Oil was last changed 5k miles ago with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30. It serves daily driver duty, about 14 miles each direction to work, roughly 50/50 city/highway split.

Car sees a lot of high load/lower RPM usage (torque for days), and has seen probably 100 miles of what I would call very "spirited" driving (high RPM/boost) in the mountains of East Tennessee with elevated oil temps.

I believe the PUPPP to be a high quality oil that should be able to withstand that sort of treatment on 5k changes. Is there a better, easily obtainable oil that I am overlooking or would be better served using, and are my 5k intervals too cautious on this type of use?

The Focus ST is a DI engine AND Turbo Charged. Change Oil Every 5K miles IMO.

With DI and a Turbo, take the side of caution and change the oil more frequently. In my experience 5k miles is the sweet spot for these type of Engines.

Unless FORD says to change it sooner? But 5k miles if OK by FORD.

Jeff

Last edited:
Why not just use the IOLM?

I have the same set-up in the '14 Escape and it gets run out to 10,000 mi. OCI. It currently has 17,xxx mi. and FF was changed at 10,000 mi. and I plan on changing at 20,000 mi (10,000 mi. interval) here in a couple of months. Per IOLM all is well, I also ran a UOA at first change, nothing out of the ordinary other than high fuel due to short warm-up prior to OC.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

I have the same set-up in the '14 Escape and it gets run out to 10,000 mi. OCI. It currently has 17,xxx mi. and FF was changed at 10,000 mi. and I plan on changing at 20,000 mi (10,000 mi. interval) here in a couple of months. Per IOLM all is well, I also ran a UOA at first change, nothing out of the ordinary other than high fuel due to short warm-up prior to OC.

The thought of running 10,000 miles in this application (Turbo + DI) makes me extremely uneasy. I'm sure it's doable in the standard Focus. I have a '14 Escape Titanium as well and run dealer oil to 5k (less stout oil presumably, but also not subject to as much abuse).

I have the feeling if I had some sort of engine failure in the ST, and the dealer saw I was running oil out to 10k, they would laugh at me.

Originally Posted By: Atomic

The thought of running 10,000 miles in this application (Turbo + DI) makes me extremely uneasy. I'm sure it's doable in the standard Focus. I have a '14 Escape Titanium as well and run dealer oil to 5k (less stout oil presumably, but also not subject to as much abuse).

I have the feeling if I had some sort of engine failure in the ST, and the dealer saw I was running oil out to 10k, they would laugh at me.

I too have the Titanium version, 2.0. Why if you went to your dealer with an issue running to 10,000 mi. OCI would he laugh at you? I am simply following the IOLM along with the owners manual.

I doubt the oil choice will be the reason you terminate your ownership of the car in the years to come.

I too have the Titanium version, 2.0. Why if you went to your dealer with an issue running to 10,000 mi. OCI would he laugh at you? I am simply following the IOLM along with the owners manual.

This is directly from Ford's support website:

How often should I change my oil?

Typical driving habits
In general, Ford Motor Company recommends the following oil change schedule:
2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first.
2007 and older model-year vehicles: every 5,000 miles or every six months, whichever comes first.

I don't find the IOLM to actually be intelligent in any way shape or form. Most everyone, in different climates and regions, and with different driving habits, report it goes off within a few hundred miles of 10,000. I think the IOLM is more of a reminder than a true monitor.

Dealer bulk oil is going to be thrashed after 10k in most applications, let alone a power dense, turbocharged, direct-injected application. I'd love to see a UOA on a 2.0L Ecoboost after 10k with dealer oil.

IMO change it, do a UOA and see what your vehicle and driving style does with your choice of oil.

I don't find the IOLM to actually be intelligent in any way shape or form. Most everyone, in different climates and regions, and with different driving habits, report it goes off within a few hundred miles of 10,000. I think the IOLM is more of a reminder than a true monitor....

My sentiments and observations also.

If you don't drive the vehicle for awhile, it counts down anyway, aiming for a 1 year interval.

If you drive on a long trip, it's 1% for every 100 miles almost religiously.

Last edited:
Yes, I would change it for a piece of mind. Ford dealer bulk oil is motorcraft 5w20, syn blend. A very sturdy oil in my opinion. I have the fusion 1.5 turbo and thats what I use, every 5,000 miles. I do it for piece of mind, these looooong oci's make me nervous. $30.00 is cheap to make me rest easier. Its so funny how we all have such an obsession with our oil...lol
Take care all.

When these type questions are asked I usually advise: leave it in, as people are generally over cautious. This case calls for changing it.

I4 Turbos = 5000 miles max, IMO. With Synthetics even better.

Atomic,
I have a '14 ST. Given your location, daily mileage, and oil choice, you are right on target at 5K OCI. As far as an easier oil to obtain, M1 is available almost everywhere.
I drive 4.5 miles each way to work and only put about 800 miles a month on mine. I change every 3k because of the short trips. I use Formula Shell Full Synthetic and a MC filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Hermann
Change it. For $30 you will have peace of mind.

Exactly.

+1
I have come to discover 2 kinds of people here on BITOG, those that feel the need to squeeze every last drop of additive from their oil, or those that sleep well at night changing their oil every 3-5k.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
IMO change it, do a UOA and see what your vehicle and driving style does with your choice of oil.

Good advice.
I changed the oil in my GTI at 5K and did a UOA. Oil looked good, so the recommendation was to go 7000. I'm coming up on 5K now, but I'll probably end up going to 7K and testing it again to determine my interval. I drive it relatively hard but not many short trips either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back