Who makes the synthetic oil for Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering who manufactures the synthetic oil for Subaru. This oil is fairly expense at the dealer and I figured if I knew who made the oil that I might be able to purchase it under a different label at a regular retail store.

eunos is an asian OEM oil supplier, and recently I've seen their line offered at NAPA store. Here's their website:

http://www.eneos.us/

Idemitsu? Ha, good luck. Maybe a dealer would be nice enough to pour some in a mason jar for you, but I've yet to hear of a dealer sell it by the quart just yet. For laughs, just read their dealer list:

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/h/32/dealers.htm

IMHO, an off-the-shelf synthetic oil will just be fine, cost a lot less, and maybe even run better.

Personally, go to wal-mart and buy yourself a 5qt jug of Quaker State synthetic for $20 and change. Mobil 1 is about $25 for the same 5qt as well.

I can (and have) walk(ed) right into my local Scoobie dealer located right next to (and part of) the Chevy dealer where I bought my car, and buy a single quart of the SM, 199 VI, Idemitsu made 0W-20 for ~$6.50/qt. ($2.50-$3.00 less than the local Toy dealers are getting for their SN, EM made, high VI, 0W-20).
wink.gif

ExxonMobil has a big presence in Japan, working with Toyota and has worked with Honda in the past.

ExxonMobil is affiliated with Tonen General and sells gasoline and oil under Tonen/General, Esso, and Mobil brands there.

So they are another 'OEM' oil in Japan like ENEOS and Indemtsu.

Shell has worked with OEMs in Japan through Showa Shell.

Originally Posted By: cp3
Well lots here would disagree, did you read the linked thread?

Well yeah, it's a group III with a high VII For around $7 quart. Honda dropped them outright. Frankly, I agree with caterham and say there's better choices at that price point. All of UOA's of oil loaded with Moly are from factory fill UOA's anyway it seems.

Originally Posted By: Xstang

Well yeah, it's a group III with a high VII For around $7 quart. Honda dropped them outright. Frankly, I agree with caterham and say there's better choices at that price point. All of UOA's of oil loaded with Moly are from factory fill UOA's anyway it seems.

Honda USA likely dropped Idemitsu in favour of COP for cost reasons. Idemitsu still supplies Honda/Acura Canada with the preferred SM GF-4 0W-20 and yes it contains a boat load of moly.
Mazda and Mitsubishi still are using the SM GF-4 Idemitsu made oil with the 197-199 VI.
Subaru are now using the SN GF-5 Idemitsu supplied oil with the lower VI and no moly for both the 0W-20 and 5W-30 grades.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Xstang

Honda USA likely dropped Idemitsu in favour of COP for cost reasons. Idemitsu still supplies Honda/Acura Canada with the preferred SM GF-4 0W-20 and yes it contains a boat load of moly.
Mazda and Mitsubishi still are using the SM GF-4 Idemitsu made oil with the 197-199 VI.
Subaru are now using the SN GF-5 Idemitsu supplied oil with the lower VI and no moly for both the 0W-20 and 5W-30 grades.

Is the 0w20 Subaru Synthetic Oil, a decent oil? I have a 2014 Forester, and as part of the vehicle purchase, I get the free oil and oil filter changes every 7500 miles or 7.5 Months, wcf.

Doesn't sound as if the Subaru Oil is a good as the other oils made by Idemitsu??

well since you just resurrected this 2 year old topic,

the subaru oil is fine.
I have 2 cases of it in the garage currently from using up my subaru reward points.

I guess my biggest concern is that a previous post indicated there is "No Moly" in the Idemitsu/Subaru 0w20 Synthetic Oil.

Last edited:
Idemitsu blends Subaru 0w20, Mazda Genuine ATF, Honda Genuine ATF. Honda no longer uses Idemitsu to bend 0w20 because of dealer distribution network not because of quality.

Idemitsu has recently release a line of OE Equivalent products to the aftermarket through Idemitsu branded products. The products have the same technology as the genuine oils offered by manufacturers.

Yes Honda USA switched to CoP as their motor oil supplier a couple of years ago but Honda/Acura Canada still uses a Idemitsu made 0W-20 and other motor oils.

Idemitsu makes a number of versions of the 0W-20 grade so what one OEM is getting may very over time.
If one really wants to know with certainty things like moly level and the VI of an OEMs 0W-20 it's probably best to order a VOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back