What oil for the Hellcat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
img60.jpg

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Curious what oil should be used in the new 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, which generates 707 HP out of the 6.2-liter supercharged V8 Hellcat engine:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-official-photos-and-info-news

Why the same oil they spec across the board for SRT vehicles. Used to be M1 0W-40, now PP.

2014 model specs API SN 0W-40 -- only fully synthetic -- meeting Chrysler MS-12633, in particular Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W-40 or MOPAR® recommended.

Would 0W-40 be sufficiently thick for the new 707 HP Hellcat engine? No such engine has ever been made before for mass production.

interior-bottom-right.jpg.pagespeed.ce.wF5XBODc70.jpg

Would 0W-40 be sufficiently thick for the new 707 HP Hellcat engine? No such engine has ever been made before for mass production.

Power output and oil viscosity requirements are not directly related. There are tons of high-power motors that only spec 5w30 (like the Corvettes), yet there are lots of lower-output Euro cars (like the Audi 2.0TFSI) that spec 5w40.

I don't see why they would go any heavier than 5/0W40 oil. Maybe 5w-50 like the track pack mustang? Does Pennzoil make a 5w-50 oil?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I don't see why they would go any heavier than 5/0W40 oil. Maybe 5w-50 like the track pack mustang? Does Pennzoil make a 5w-50 oil?

Yes, Platinum is available as 5w50. There is also Quaker State 5w50.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Power output and oil viscosity requirements are not directly related. There are tons of high-power motors that only spec 5w30 (like the Corvettes), yet there are lots of lower-output Euro cars (like the Audi 2.0TFSI) that spec 5w40.

Exactly. As I am sure that SRT knows their stuff, I expect that this engine will have an oil to water heat exchanger as standard equipment...

If it spec's 0W-40 go for the M1.

$22.66 for the jug at Walmart....

That's what I will be using in my own personal "hellcat" between the dealer fills.

$55.000+ price. I don't think saving 20 bucks an oil change (0W40 Ultra $49 for 6 qt's) using a great but non approved oil (M1 0W40) makes sense....assuming 0W40 Ultra is the approved oil

It is humorous but the M1 0W-40 was the spec oil for a long time. It's right on the cap on my car by name!

The switch to Shell products was simply due to the marriage with Fiat.

Also, expect huge premiums on this car by the stealership. It was not uncommon for my car to have a 10-20k mark up on it in 2005 and 2006...

Last edited:
It is humorous but the M1 0W-40 was the spec oil for a long time. It's right on the cap on my car by name!

Also, expect huge premiums on this car by the stealership. It was not uncommon for my car to have a 10-20k mark up on it in 2005 and 2006...

My point was to use what is approved for the Hellcat. No doubt M1 0W40 was spec'd in the past and would do a great job...but with the price of the car, hard driving and any warranty issues? $20 extra using what is approved by Dodge is a no brainer.

0w40 is recommended, just like for my 392. Its the same basic bottom end design as the 5.7 and 6.4, just with uprated materials (pistons and rods primarily). Oil temperatures should be comparable- low to mid 200s in normal driving, low 300s when tracked. Nothing out of the reach of a quality synthetic 0w40.

0W40 with the appropriate API classification meets warranty requirements. The Chrysler specification is merely a recommendation. Page 411 of a Challenger SRT owners manual spells this out for public consumption.

Would people actually buy the cars with the huge markups?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Would people actually buy the cars with the huge markups?

Is the Pope a Catholic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back