Anyone else using Optimum No Rinse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being the research fanatic I spent some time reviewing automotive detailing. I came across Optimum No Rinse (ONR) then decided to try it out. This stuff is incredible! Basically you remove the garden hose from your washing routine. Seems scary doesn't it? The method:

1. One cap full of ONR in a 32 OZ spray bottle with distilled water. Mist the panel that you will clean starting from top to bottom.

2. Fill two clean buckets with about two gallons of water.

3. One cap full of ONR in one bucket and two in the second bucket.

4. Use a clean microfiber wash mitt and rinse in the first bucket then second bucket with the two caps of ONR. Squeeze excess then proceed to panel.

5. Wipe in a straight line, one area.

6. Take a dampened microfiber drying towel with the 2 cap solution or mist from the spray bottle, then wipe dry. Follow-up with a second towel and buff.

The finish is incredible, no scratches, no water spots, and leaves a silky smooth, just waxed look.

I also use this stuff for the glass, and as a quick detailer. Good stuff! I will be washing my truck and try to get some pics up.

I've used it (still have a bottle). I used it on a black Benz and it left extensive micro-marring but no overtly visible scratches.

I also used more product than recommend.

My routine was:

Rinse car with normal water to take off loose dirt.
Pre-treat entire car with ONR at recommended dilution via bug sprayer.

Apply and remove ONR at double strength with microfiber mitt and dry with MC towel. I had a dedicated rinse bucket to drop out the heavier dirt before I went back to the bucket of ONR to wash next section.

I have a gloss black Cadillac and it will show marring if rinsless washed incorrectly. But then again it'll show it if you washed it normally incorrectly.

Unless you have rather large bottle caps, a stronger solution will definitely help prevent scratching and marring. It's why the Turtle Wax brand rinsless wash is so raved about. It's not really any better than the other stuff, ie more concentrated, but its directions say 2 ounces per gallon of water vs the once ounce per gallon ONR suggests. Increased lubrication definitely helps to reduce marring on my car which shows much to readily, but then again I don't buy my rinsless wash, I make it myself since the ingredients are pretty commonly found in the automotive care section and household cleaners section.

Also my suggestion is also don't use your normal wool wash mitt. But a microfiber wash mitt.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chenille-Wash-Mitt-White/16817497

This one works great and only $3 available at Walmart. It does shed a little initially but once that's through it's about the softest, least damaging mitts I've used. Don't get the microfiber ones with the fat noodles hanging from them, like wool it doesn't absorb dirt and tends to push it around on your paint causing marring.

Also about technique. When using the rinsless wash I don't wring it out before wiping it on your paint. The large amount of cleaning fluid in the mitt when you pull it out help to dissolve and run off the excess dirt on your paint.

I use a single bucket when I use my rinseless wash but find if I really slop on the rinseless wash on the panel, a lot of the dirt just flows off the paint onto the ground anyways and the bucket water stays relatively cleaner. After slopping on the rinseless wash then I dunk and wring out the mitt into my bucket and proceed to wipe up the remaining water on the panel with the mitt. The microfiber mitt actually absorbs quite a bit of water leaving the surface nearly dry anyways. Any residue I then immediately take care of with some spray detailer made from the rinsless wash and my microfiber drying towel. This way I don't end up saturating the drying towel and making it less effective as the wash goes on.

Last edited:
Yea been using it about a year now, it works great, made my truck really shine, its good for quick washes. I rinse it off first and do the lower with regualr soap as thats where a ton of dirt sits.

wwbg4gZl.jpg

NHLwEKol.jpg

I started using Quick & Easy Wash 12 years ago due to local water restrictions and haven't used a hose for washing since. I switched to ONR several years later and have used it exclusively except for winter touchless washes here in MT.
I have not experienced marring even on my previous black SRT Chrysler.
I have always used the recommended 1 ounce to 2 gallons water in a bucket with grit guard. I only dry with a super plush microfiber.

Last edited:
I live in a water-constrained place where we are only allowed to waah our cars conventionally once a month, so its not like I have a choice. That said, I'm pleased with the no-rinse washes. I don't think there is a bad No-rinse wash. I haven't used ONR, but I've used Duragloss and Turtlewax products.

I scrutinize my car pretty closely and I haven't seen any scratches after two years. I'm pretty conservative, though. I'll squirt plain water on it at the coin-op first if there is any question at all as to whether its too dirty. I'm also unstinting in my use of Microfiber towels. I do the "Garry Dean" method, where basically you spritz the panel with concentrate, slap a saturated microfiber towel on the car swipe a few times, discard and follow with a wrung out towel then a dry towel and repeat. (Its easier to Youtube than to explain). I use three gallons instead of the usual two for a truck, though.

I got a bucket with a lid and i figured out that I can mix up next week's hooch, put in my towels straight from the washer, close and store the solution in the garage for the next use. There's really no need to dry the towels first. You can hang dry the few you reserve for drying the car. (Although the Duragloss product at least, will smell sour after a couple of weeks if you don't use it.--It will still work, though).

One of the things I really like is that I can wash my at night in the garage, or even in bad weather. I don't have to fool with my car on the weekend. That's a very big deal for me. That flexibility is really convenient.

Wal-Mart lets you special order the Turtlewax product for no extra charge. So you can try it out dirt cheap. I noticed Wal-Mart was selling pretty middle-class looking microfiber towels 10 for $10. Get two packs of those and you are set.

Last edited:
ONR has its limitations, but can work well if used carefully.

If the car has very very soft (and dark) paint, the odds are against you.

With that said, pre-treat the car with a pump sprayer and let it soak for a few minutes to soften the dirt.

There's no need to use the 2-bucket method with ONR; one bucket with a grit-guard works fine.

I would use the softest, thickest, longest-nap mf towel available. You do not want to use a wash mitt- you want something that is very soft and will also simultaneously dump a lot of water onto the surface.

Lastly, when you ONR, your drying towel will often pick up some dirty water. Be very cognizant of the condition of your drying towel -- change it out halfway through your drying process if needed.

In short, I only use it when I'm forced to.

Last edited:
So far having great results and I am very picky. I agree with the careful approach when using ONR, but the results are amazing.

Traditional wash method uses corrosive water which also compromises the finishes. I will post some pics later.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
Yea been using it about a year now, it works great, made my truck really shine, its good for quick washes. I rinse it off first and do the lower with regualr soap as thats where a ton of dirt sits.

wwbg4gZl.jpg

NHLwEKol.jpg

Looks really nice!

I also use ONR and love it. I've been using it for several years now and it is truly a fantastic product. I ran out of it last year and had to use regular car soap as I didn't get a chance to order more (on-line only in Canada) and I hated washing the cars. It took me twice the effort and time to get the same finish as with ONR. I ordered a gallon this time, so it should last me a good while.

I think the micro marring issue is highly over blown, as it can be introduced with any method where the paint has to be touched. For the anal types, it may very well be a deal breaker, but for the rest of us, that just want a nice finish with minimal fuss, ONR serves the purpose very well IMO.

I agree. I haven't witnessed micro-marring yet. Like most of you I am pretty particular with my vehicles. The stuff works great as a quick detailer too.

I need to order a gallon of it soon. I was considering the Optimum Wash and Wax, however, the ONR works so well I am undecided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back