rockford files

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 80's I used to see adds for "The original Firebird from the "Rockford Files"" for sale near here occasionally. Seems like the car was advertised as being near Raleigh somewhere.

Was/is a good show, and like the above post, can be viewed on MEtv.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
his lawyer was the cutest thing ever even with her grey blonde hair. Lol.

Gretchen Corbett. Yum. I was sorry when they wrote her out of the series after the first 2 or 3 years. She was in at least one of the Rockford Files TV movies made in the '90's, though.

The series often had Rockford pull the kind of low-key but effective ruses that I suspect real private eyes have to work from time to time to get information. You know, the kind of stuff that wouldn't work so easily today, when you have to show 3 different kinds of ID just to buy cold medicine.

The main thing about Garner was that he was low-key as well. His Rockford was more likely to negotiate or outmaneuver than to bust someone's chops Mike Hammer-style. And Garner did comic annoyance and exasperation better than anybody on TV -- only Robert Redford in the movies came close. Remember the Sundance Kid's exasperated reaction to the chicken yard in Bolivia? Garner would have made it work, too.

Rockford and Columbo. Two of my favorites from the early to mid 70s. On our permanent watch list with Netflix.

Everybody should have a friend like Rocky, and he'd probably like BITOG.

It was painful to watch Garner try and run, with his shot knees. But that he did showed him a pro.

I think the series was so popular because his character was a flawed person like the rest of us. He made mistakes and got outsmarted. Made him a much more relatable character than the typical lead man who was always one step ahead of everyone.

Tom Selleck shows up several times as another detective. Was he Magnum P.I. ?

He set his watch to beep every 5 minutes to be aware of time passing.

Originally Posted By: PSS

Yes he was.

a BIG thanks to every one for your thoughts. i really like the phone recordings. james garner has been my most liked actor since "the Wheeler Dealers" movie. the oil group , Ray Jay,,Jay Ray,,,R.J. really made the move. i have all ways thought he was a great guy. like some here said he is. to me hes the guy you would want as your uncle. i found out how to find the recorder info i was looking for. all i need to do is look up "phone phreaking vintage" i really liked all the input you cats gave me. thanks tons.

Originally Posted By: PSS

He set his watch to beep every 5 minutes to be aware of time passing.

His character on Rockford was not named Magnum. It was Lance White, and he was a total clean-cut, college BMOC-type that drove a white Cadillac.

TO: pottymouth. what you said about rockford being a flawed person like us. and not all ways being the coolest dude on the bock makes him like us. that is a a great insite. thanks.

I remember the Rockford Files and watched it as a kid back during its first run starting in 1974!

This was back when there was still some quality programming on TV and the writers didn't insult the viewer with scripts written for
5 year olds with the attention span of a midget.

The show also created a few spin offs including
Richie Brockelman, Private Eye which aired for a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back