Oil/filter recommendations for 2004 Honda 2.4L K24 in Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver is a 2004 Accord 2.4L K24 5-speed manual that is averaging just over 32Mpg for all tanks. I calculate every tank using miles driven/gallons to full. My driving is split 80/20 freeway/city with an 85 mile round trip commute to Houston mostly cruising @ 70-75Mph. I have 6200 miles on the clock and performed the first oil/filter change tire rotate at 5155 miles at WalMart:

SuperTech 5W-30 (4 quarts)
Valvoline MaxLife Engine Protector (7 oz.)
SuperTech ST7317

Now my question will come when I hit 10,000 miles. Do I stay with the WalMart SuperTech oil/filter for 5000 miles changes and rotate my tires for a grand total of $19.88 + tax, ($13.88 oil/filter service, $6.00 tire rotation) or do I go to Mobil1 5W-30 with what filter (SuperTech?) and for how many miles (7500, 10,000)?

I’ve been running Mobil1 5W-30 with SuperTech oil filters on all our other vehicles, a $30 synthetic oil/filter service for the following intervals:

1999 Dodge neon DOHC 5-speed manual (Son’s) 7500 mile service
2003 Honda Civic EX 5-speed manual (Daughters) 7500 miles service
2003 Acura TL-S (wife’s) 5000 miles service (Due to short trip in town miles driven)

I like using Wal-Mart as I can watch their every move and they do a pretty fair job. I have also liked the idea of standardizing all the daily drivers on one oil such as Mobil1 5W-30. Remember that Houston is HOT for six months of the year and it rarely goes below freezing.

Here are some questions:

1) Am I wasting my money on Mobil1? ($30 synthetic oil/filter service vs $13.88 SuperTech oil/filter service)

2) Are the Wal-Mart SuperTech oil filters still a safe bet?

3) Should I standardize all the fleet on SuperTech 5W-30 with 5000 mile service intervals?

4) Other cost effective options?

Lately I’ve really been wondering if my motors would get the same level of protection using the Wal-Mart SuperTech oil/filter service for $13.88 and servicing every 5000 miles? It sure would be cheaper!

I look forward to your input.

I'm from Houston, too, and I think I have the best solution for you cars.

Use Havoline 5W30 dino oil in all of your cars - you can buy it at Walmart for $6.40 per 5-quart jug. (Personally, I use 10W30 in my cars, but that's just my preference in our hot climate.)

Use one of the following oil filters:

Wix $5.50 - found at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Microgard $3.50 (really just a rebadged Purolator Premium Plus) - found at O'Reilly Auto Parts

Purolator Premium Plus $3.50 or Purolator Pure One $5.50 - both found at PepBoys

Bring the filter with you to Walmart and ask them to use that one. They'll probably cut a few bucks off the price of the oil change.

If you did the oil changes yourself, it would only cost you about $10-$12 at the most.

Anyhow, just my two cents.

P.S. If you live in or near The Woodlands, I'd be more than happy to help you change it.
smile.gif

Wal-Mart will let you bring in your own supplies of oil and filter and they will charge you about $10 in labor to change the oil and filter for you. Some Wal-Marts charge more and some less. I send oil to my dad and he takes it to Wal-Mart to be changed. If you are going to use Mobil 1 then Id recommend the EP line over the regular M1. If you are going to use EP oil then Id suggest you get something like Pure 1 filter from Advance Auto parts. The supertech filter is a good filter but its probably best for 3000-5000 mile oil changes in my opinion. You could put the Ep oil in your accord and a pure 1 and go 6000-7500 miles with ease and recoup some of the extra cost, time, and labor that youve expensed.

Id suggest considering the new Pennzoil Platinum OW-20 thats heading to shelves in the near future. Id think that oil plus a Pure 1 filter might be ideal for a 6000 mile oil change interval in an Accord.

I personally dont like going over 7500 miles between oil changes with any oil. 6000 miles is a good choice in my opinion. Most modern synthetics can get you to 6000 nicely. For your application, Id pick the pennzoil OW-20 platinum synthetic and a pure 1 filter.

Happy Motoring to You,

cool.gif

Bugshu

I would definately stick to the SuperTech filters. Why pay more sor something thats not any better.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
I would definately stick to the SuperTech filters. Why pay more sor something thats not any better.
cheers.gif

Because Wix and Purolator PureOne filters *ARE* better.

I would put a beady eye to the ST 7314. If you see the big hole, circle of smaller holes in the dome end, leave the clicker on the shelf. I trust the black plastic center cage in the Ecores, but am waiting for more on the felt end caps.

If you have room for a 3'' x 3 3/4'' filter, look at the ST 3950, 2 1/2 gasket, traditional rubber seal bypass and metal end caps, and 20 mm thread and 171 sq. in. filter area.

If not, you might look for Total Grip 7314.

I lean to thin oils, but then I live way North of Houston.

I'm also done with SuperTech with the clicker Bypass. Carquest, Bosch Premium, STP are better choices in my opinion.

quote:

Bosch Premium, STP

Uh, those are Champion Labs filters of the same construction as SuperTechs as well. Clickers on old stock/slow moving part numbers and moving to E-core design as E-core roles out.

John

WoW, what a buch of guys, offers to change my oil! Fact is, I find WalMart on 242 in the Woodlands a quick and good place to have the work done. I could do it myself as I do my muscle car myself, but I don't want to get into doing the daily drivers oil changes and tire rotations even if I have all the tools needed.

I'll check out the 'guts' of the ST 7314 next time I run into to WalMart. What other filters could I substitute for the ST 7314 that are available from WalMart?

And how about so input on the SuperTech 5W-30 oil with 5000 mile changes? As goo as going with Mobil1 5W-30 @ 10,000 miles?

Thanks much for the input and offers of help.

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:

quote:

Bosch Premium, STP

Uh, those are Champion Labs filters of the same construction as SuperTechs as well. Clickers on old stock/slow moving part numbers and moving to E-core design as E-core roles out.

John

Then why is the ST filter much smaller than the Bosch or STP one for the same vehicle? (ST 6607, Bosch 3312, and STP 2808)

I would not change your oil regimine.

$30 for M1 and ST filter is a good deal for a shop to do the work and dispose/recycle the oil. I would use 5-20 in the Civic/TL-S.

7500 OCI keeps the cars "out of service" for less time than 5000 OCI's.

As for your new car, I would go 5-20 in the Accord also!

I just wanted to bring this topic to the head again as I'm going to be having the oil changed (Next week) in my daughter's 2003 Honda Civic EX 5-speed manual (7500Mile/9 month service) and my wife's 2003 Acura TL-S (5000Mile/8 month service due to short trip in town miles driven)

I will most likely be heading to WalMart for the change and tire rotation. I'm still thinking Mobil1 5W-30 on both as we are now entering the Texas summer. Should I still consider Mobil1 5W-20 or even the Penzoil 0W-20 synthic?

And how about the oil filter? Has it been 'decided' that the new SuperTech filters are or are not garbage?

Does WalMart have any 'quality' oil filters for these motors?

Should I purchase a cash filters from Honda (Are they all the same for all of these motors?) or should I head down to the local auto parts store for oil filters and bring them to WalMart?

Your input please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back