New Honda Fit fails to start sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last 6 months, my 2012 Fit had fail to start 4 times. The first two times it was 5 degrees outside and I had been playing the radios for 20 minutes with the engine off. The third and fourth time, the radio was on while I pumped gas for less than 5 minutes. All four times, I was at the gas station.

The car will jump start just fine using my jump box. This occur so infrequent that it is hard to tell if it is the battery or not. My commute is 40+ miles each way so the battery gets charged up plenty each day. The car always starts in the morning. What should my battery be reading when the car is off and when there is a load? What could be a culprit? Battery, starter, or charging system? It is going to the dealership this weekend so the problem is documented. I drive a lot so it has 25k miles already. I want this resolved or document before 36k miles.

I'd like to point out that a group 151R battery is awfully tiny. Running your radio for 20 minutes probably counts as deep cycling it.

Last edited:
Each time, you said were playing the radi o with engine off. What does your owner's manual say? I would avoid this, especially if you have upgraded the system.

And a big +1 on chrome's question.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Fits are notorious for having undersized batteries.

My 7th gen Accord's 2.4 is undersized as well, but it always starts first time every time.

Your Fit's battery is continuing the hallowed tradition of the GE Fit's OEM battery being dead after 2 years. We went through the same thing on my wife's Fit. It got replaced with a U1R battery for a old Miata that was cheaper and had more cold cranking amps.

Replace the battery, and the issue will go away.

Op here. It would click but won't fire. My Accord OEM battery is group 24 and it went 8+years without problem. I replaced (bought new but keep the new battery as a home-made jump box) because my wife started driving it and she would kill the starter trying to start with a bad battery.

Is battery covered under warranty?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

My 7th gen Accord's 2.4 is undersized as well, but it always starts first time every time.

In 5F too?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: gregk24

In 5F too?

No I can not vouch for 5F, I live in FL, but it starts every time in the teens.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the car.

It appears to be user error -- why would anyone expect a small battery to withstand 20 min of radio use in such cold temperatures?

I'd get the battery load tested and see what they say. My mom has a 2011 Fit with about 35k miles on it now. It was pretty cold here this winter, and a few times her car barely turned over. It always started, but the starter turned very slow.

20 mins of radio operation is nothing, 5F isn't that cold, and a Florida winter is nothing.

Battery probably has a bad cell.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the car.

It appears to be user error -- why would anyone expect a small battery to withstand 20 min of radio use in such cold temperatures?

For what it's worth, my friend needed a jump 3 times for doing the same thing. He ran the radio in his Silverado while working outside and killed the battery. Each time it started with a jump, but would click if it wasn't. Maybe The Critic is right and this battery is just too small to withstand that load.

20 mins of the key in the run position playing the radio is a problem. 20 mins in the accessory position with a healthy battery shouldn't be a problem at all.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Honda batteries arent the best.

NHGUY, do ya even haf a Honda sir?

OP, pls drive the car to Honda and have them take voltage and CCA,

At the stealership the cars are started and moved a lot. Windows down, windows up etc. also if it is an old stock the batt will be low.

I bought few cars where the batt was nearly dead.

A vehicle alternator is NOT designed to recharge a batt from low or fully.
you will extend the life of your batt if you zap it often with a high amp charger.

search for my response to a batt questions, my ridgeline battery (mid 2006) is going strong after being abused.

My 07 fit(bought in fall, 06) OEM Jpn Yuasa battery has been serving me well until this past winter, where it would barely turnover @ -16C (in the past when temp hit that low, it would still turnover consistently/reliably)...load test indicated that the battery was borderline ....

Ended up purchasing a 65 series NAPA 151R due to cost...cranks really good now.

No qualms about the factory OEM Yuasa for I also used my A/C frequently, and power windows, kids playing with interior dome light, etc. and it lasted well beyond 7yrs of service...

Get your battery load-tested and replace it when deemed necessary (don't wait until it fails).

Q.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Op here. It would click but won't fire.

That statement doesn't clarify anything. Does it just go click, when you try to start it? OR Does the starting motor spin the engine but it won't start and run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back