New Honda Fit fails to start sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2%'er and he's messing with a Honda Fit starting issue.
crazy.gif

Honda warranties the battery. Have them replace it if still under mileage.

If your FIT is loaded with electronics beyond the radio like Bluetooth, Nav and others they take a considerable draw on battery. I purchased a used MDX on the cheap I think because owner thought it had serious problems and was dumping it.

It went haywire a lot throwing all sorts of electrical fits, errant systems failures, check engine lights. I thought I purchased a bad car. Power window failure(needed a odd program). This is when it sat more than 5 minutes with key on. I called dealer when dash was lit up like christmas tree radio and nav locked out due to needing code over and over.

Dealer stated replace your battery first(that is what we do) and then come if in if persists. $100 was good to go. The car has been flawless since (80k-125k presently) except for failed AC relay ($7).

My wifes '01 Lexus has had 2 batteries overtime, each with 1 bad cell. The OE lasted almost 8 years and the AAP(AutoCraft Platinum) lasted 5+. When load tested, the report came back with..."BAD CELL"! My SIL(wifes sister) had the same exact Lexus/same year/model and here OE battery lasted 10 years. You just get'em that way sometime
smile.gif

I've seen the Honda FIT OE Battery. It seems toooooo small IMHO! About the size of an OPE battery. Some folks will fare better and others will not
smirk.gif

Yea, the battery(s) take a charge and seem fine for a "minute" with some good long driving/hiwy miles but, don't hold "THAT" charge very long in extreme conditions. Meaning too cold, lots of short trips/startups or in the OP's case, using the radio frequently in ACC mode.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Honda batteries arent the best.

They used to be AC Delco not sure of supplier now and had incredible luck with that in my 95Civic. Never replaced in 10yrs/230,000 miles. My Acura one is nothing great and apparently on its third batttery in

Most of my Honda's had AC Delco's as OE which lasted 4-5 yrs. And my other Asian cars(LexNisMaz) had Panissonic which I really liked and they lasted much longer for some reason
smile.gif

Last edited:
The OEM Panasonic lasted nearly 12 years in my ECHO. I looked around but couldn't find a dealer here in the US for a replacement though.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Most of my Honda's had AC Delco's as OE which lasted 4-5 yrs. And my other Asian cars(LexNisMaz) had Panissonic which I really liked and they lasted much longer for some reason
smile.gif

Honda Factory batteries are woefully inadequate.
The battery in my '12 would barely start my Accord this winter, to the point that the dash lights would go out and it would barely crank via the key.
Forget using the remote start below 5 degrees.
Dealer tested at 407 CCA out of an "awesome" 410 CCA.
New battery is on my extended "to-do" list.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
smile.gif

I would often find that if the final assembly point of the car was Japan, you would get a Panasonic battery.
I also got used to seeing something else in cars that were built outside Japan.

When my car was delivered to me, there was a dealer's replacement battery, so I don't know if the car had a Panasonic battery or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back