Purolater Classic 9k miles 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter is off my 05 Cadillac STS with the N*. 9k miles on Mobil 1 5w-30.

Thought everything was looking great until I noticed 2 little holes in the media. I am glad I used a PureOne this time. I am going to send the oil off for analysis eventually.

Last edited:
Not surprised at all. Not sure why people have to run cheap filters to the point where they start to fall apart...buy a decent filter, or change out the cheaper filter sooner. Your engine suffered more wear than it had too, probably not much, but it was unnecessary.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Not surprised at all. Not sure why people have to run cheap filters to the point where they start to fall apart...buy a decent filter, or change out the cheaper filter sooner. Your engine suffered more wear than it had too, probably not much, but it was unnecessary.

umm so by that logic why are you running a Fram tough guard and a Honda-A02 (Fram OCOD) on your cars and not something like the Fram Ultra or Bosch D+?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The tough guard is a premium filter but you are about right on the Honda filter.

Tough guard shares the same construction as the orange can just better media and ADBV.

I've had tears in both a classic and a P1 in the past. I'm hesitant to use them now. And I didn't get the chance to cut open the P1 from the previous fill.

Looks like it was end of life for the filter.
Still looks fine, its done its job.

I would go with something more sturdy for a caddy tho.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The tough guard is a premium filter but you are about right on the Honda filter.

Tough guard shares the same construction as the orange can just better media and ADBV.

The media was the issue here not the construction. The stronger better flowing synthetic blend media shouldn't have had this issue. If the end caps were coming off then it would be a construction issue which isn't likely since those are usually glued extremely well. Also the tough guard has a screen over bypass valve plus thicker can. These guys are going to have to start paying me soon. I'm using oversized Ultra filters next though.

The Tough Guard doesn't use the screen anymore.

I have cut a lot of Frams, two more today in fact, and I am convinced their media is stronger than much of the competition's. They would be well served to use more of it though.

We are getting quite an elephant graveyard collection of pics with torn Puro media anymore, I still use them and have a few more on hand I will use but I don't think I'll be buying more anytime soon.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Please keep on topic regarding the filter at hand. Not others' use of Frams. Folks have been complaining about the Fram bash taking this OT.

Keep in mind the Northstar is a rough engine on oil that runs hot and it may have just stressed the Puro Classics capabilities. I understand running 10k+ on a clean 4 cylinder engine, but Northstars can get some high temps going on with the coolant and oil. Maybe this was a factor here with long run + high temps on cellulose. Maybe this engine would be well suited to a synthetic media filter.

Quote:
Not surprised at all. Not sure why people have to run cheap filters to the point where they start to fall apart...

Otoh there's the recent linked thread, of L30257 with a 9250 mile oci with the media in excellent shape and based the majority postings here are most representive of the greatest majority of both Classic and P1 results posted here. Also in the link, note dnewtons comments regarding using the Classic to 10k miles with excellent results. Purolator L30257(9250 miles fci)

I also note that the first to now regularly chime as here to deride/criticize Purolator, including this thread have little or nothing to say when the positive Purolator anecdotes are also posted. So it's crickets from the now more obvious Purolator bashers. In fact one of the more obvious regular bashers used a recent PL14610 also with excellent dissection results as an opportunity to go off topic and bring his use of Fram (in caps) into the discussion. And since it appears someone complained about Fram bashing, perhaps it's now time to also complain to the mods about Purolator bashers that appears to be more pervasive now.

I suspect as most folks realize to value of a Classic as opposed to it's more expensive closest competitor, less of the latter filter are being used, thus less dissections of that skimpy media area filter. I don't expect that to change in spite of the Puro bashers.

Personally, I use Mann/Bosch/Puro filters all the time, including QS, ProLines, Classics, Motorcraft, P1s, Bosch Premiums, and D+s-I'm just a little concerned over their recent lackadaisical approach to customer service. Things like a blanket 3,000 mile recommendation for ALL filters, including the premium priced filters, and total disregard for any problems. Not what I'm looking to use to protect a $10 grand engine!

9000 miles on a Purolator Classic is really pushing it. It's kinda like climbing out on a tree limb to see how far out you can go before the limb snaps and you fall to ground and break your neck.

The filters are only about $3.27 at Walmart...a shorter OCI would make more cents.

I took a Purolator classic off my brothers car, upon cutting it open I also found torn media. I think that had been in service around 5k, mostly highway miles.
I always thought the classic was a decent filter, but is seems the media is weak.
I'll stick with WIX!

I agree 10,000 miles on a Classic seems like a lot (what is the GM recommended change interval?) and the only Pureolator filter they specifically say is good to 10,000 miles is a synthetic.

I'm sure some folks will have good luck with it and in a lot of cases it will turn out fine, until it doesn't turn out fine...
wink.gif

It would be interesting to hear how long the ones that turn out fine were in service, in other words is it the mileage of the time of exposure...?

Oh well, maybe in about 2 more years I'll have a D+ with ~15,000 on it to look at... unless you guys get me freaked out enough to replace it... sooner...

FWIW, a tough guard is specced for 10,000 mile IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back