How to lock garage door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is related to my last post about the guy breaking into my shop to get his forklift. I have a roll up door on my shop just like any other garage door. It has a sliding bolt lock on one side that goes through the track. I always keep a pad lock on top of that. That way if somebody breaks into my shop they can't use a truck to clean me out.

Or so I thought. Looks like bolt cutters made quick work of my Master Magnum lock. Master says "The 5/16 in. (8 mm) Tough-Cut octagonal boron-carbide shackle is 50% harder than hardened steel."
lock.jpg

I could use one of those circular locks, to make it hard to cut with bolt cutters, but then you could just cut the sliding bolt on the roll up door just as easy.

How can I lock my roll up door from the inside, so that you need a key inside, and can't just snip the lock with bolt cutters?

Is the roll up door "corrugated" ?

Should be to allow it to roll up.

Could drill holes in the rails, and place padlocks on the inside that will jam the whole shebang up, and not be visible from the outside.

Alternatively, lockson/dynabolt a bracket to the floor and clamp the lower rail of the door to the floor.

Jam a length of timber between the drum of the roller door and the ground to act as a"pawl" and stop upward rotation of the door (can be seen if they look under the couple of inches of door available when they pry up, and knocked out.

For your original problem, guys around here use a half round of thick wall pipe or box section to cover the lock so that only the key will fit, and bolt cutters/grinders can't get to the hasp.

A determined thief can get through anything given time and a brazen attitude.

Very simple solution ,,Put a couple 5 or 6 inch C Clamps in / on both tracks directly above the rollers when the door is closed

20 years ago here, to get a rival Gang member's bike, a fence was taken down and the side of a shed dismantled...and a harley manhandled out sideways.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Is the roll up door "corrugated" ?

No, I mean like a standard residential garage door that rolls up a track to the ceiling. Not sure what the proper term is. Mine is a bit thicker than a residential door but it has the same type of track.

I like the idea of building a shield out of pipe. Maybe I could weld something to the track. I'll have to think about that when I am looking at it tomorrow. I know I am only buying time, but it looks like those bolt cutters were almost as easy to use as my key.

Put a lock high up on the track and don't leave anything easy to stand on nearby. Most thieves will carry bolt cutters but few tote ladders.

Not pertinent to this particular problem, but showing how hard it is to protect something from theft, this happened near where I live. A local physician living in a gated community, guarded 24/7 by hired personnel, had a large, top-of-the-line gun safe installed in his "man cave" to house his very expensive target shotguns. The safe was mounted to the concrete slab floor with 4 three-quarter inch bolts and to the outside wall of the room with two bolts. While no one was home, in the middle of the afternoon, someone drove a roll-back into his back yard, knocked two holes through the brick exterior wall of his gun room, ran a chain around the safe and dragged it out, through the wall and up onto the roll back. They put a tarp over the safe and proceeded to drive out through the front gate right by the security guard. The stolen truck & empty safe were found some time later abandoned in a wooded area. Not only did the man lose some $200K in guns and a $15K safe, the damage to his home amounted to over $85K! The man is my brother-in-law.

He broke in again!?!?!

At that point I would call the police.

Putting the lock out of reach would be a good idea. Or park a box truck up against the door so if he does get in ... he can't get in.

Last edited:
This just shows that if a thief wants it bad enough, they will do anything to get it. Try the suggestions above, but get good insurance, a good alarm, a big dog. Sorry bout your loss.

Get a couple live-in pets for the shop, Doberman Pinschers perhaps. Okay maybe not, but it does have innovative connotations for the fate of any intruders. Seriously, how about an alarm system? You can get systems with cameras that you can pull up on your smart phone, tablet, or computer. Or do both and that way you can watch the festivities as the Doberman's deal with the burglars?

Dang, WTH were his neighbors doing, eating popcorn and watching? So much for neighbors looking out for one another.

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Not pertinent to this particular problem, but showing how hard it is to protect something from theft, this happened near where I live. A local physician living in a gated community, guarded 24/7 by hired personnel, had a large, top-of-the-line gun safe installed in his "man cave" to house his very expensive target shotguns. The safe was mounted to the concrete slab floor with 4 three-quarter inch bolts and to the outside wall of the room with two bolts. While no one was home, in the middle of the afternoon, someone drove a roll-back into his back yard, knocked two holes through the brick exterior wall of his gun room, ran a chain around the safe and dragged it out, through the wall and up onto the roll back. They put a tarp over the safe and proceeded to drive out through the front gate right by the security guard. The stolen truck & empty safe were found some time later abandoned in a wooded area. Not only did the man lose some $200K in guns and a $15K safe, the damage to his home amounted to over $85K! The man is my brother-in-law.

So did you run this "test" or did this guy break in??.

Is the roll up door the only way in? It may be the only way to get the forklift out, but could he break in another door/window?

My first thought is to tightly affix clamps above some of the door rollers to prevent the door from rolling up. Obviously that's not doable if it's your only entry point.

What about adding a garage door opener? Seems silly at first, but if he was to cut the locks and break the mechanism,meh would still need to overcome that system latched to the door from the inside. Not that it couldn't be broken, it's just another step, another noise, another hassle.

That plus a cheap cellular security system that will silently call the cops when the door is opened should work.

have cops arrest guy, since its one guy who wants his forklift he abandoned. if hes in jail your problem goes away?

Originally Posted By: Olas
^^ x2.

Also, get a rocking chair and a shotgun, and wait
wink.gif

Cracker Barrel has some nice rocking chairs for sale out front.
01.gif

I finally got a pic of what I need to lock. It needs to be relatively easy for me to open as I use this door every day.
doorlock.jpg

I think a half round piece welded to the track above the lock would work. I also need to tack weld the bolts on the door so it can't be unscrewed.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So did you run this "test" or did this guy break in??.

Technically he broke "out". My idea of keeping the big door locked so people can't clean me out worked, but that "tough cut" lock sure didn't.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What about adding a garage door opener?

I'm thinking about it, but that opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms about how to lock it. I was thinking if I used this door to exit, I could put a bar behind the man door and make it almost impossible to break into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back