ROTELLA T5 SEMI-SYNTHETIC BLEND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this oil.
I usually run T6 in my 650 cruiser and have had very satisfactory results.
This last trip to Walmart, (went to 3 different stores) there was no T6 in stock so I grabbed a gallon of the T5.
Although I have searched the UOA forum, I cannot find any UOA's on the T5, lots of T6 5w-40 synthetic and T 15w-40 dino results, but nothing on T5 blend.
Thanks in advance for sharing,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
smile.gif

Great oil, but it doesn't carry the JASO MA specification for your application. Any reason you're not running Rotella 15w-40?

Ramblejam said:
Great oil, but it doesn't carry the JASO MA specification for your application. Any reason you're not running Rotella 15w-40?

Exactly as Ramblejam put it. The T5 10W30 is not JASO MA rated for wet clutch motorcycle use, while the 5W40 & 15W40 are JASO MA rated.

Since you're in So Cal with warmer temperatures and the V-Star being air cooled the 15W40 would be an ideal choice within the Rotella brand.

Good advice above. Return the T5 and buy the Rotella T 15w40. Your bike will love you for it.

Personally current T6 shears too quickly and shifting suffers badly for my taste. 15w40 T5 in my thumper and GSXR was terrible, the tranny and clutch were nasty notchy and dragging big time....some guys like it, none of my bikes do... Now, the old RotellaT5 5w40 of 5 or 6 years ago had a normal amount of zinc and phos was wonderful oil in my bikes.
Abolish the epa....good oils could return

What do you want to know, My uoa, showed the 5w40 rottella to be usable, and have ran it on a few bikes for a few years before running a uoa, and has Very strong clutch grip. The main reason I ran the uoa, was the oil looked to be breaking down quickly compared to other bikes Id ran it in, and I wanted to confirm what my eyeball was seeing, and as a result I stopped using it, oil change intervals were too short for the break down. So some bikes it may hold up better than others, but its a usable oil. Especially on par or better if you intended to run any car oils, its a good option.

Hi Ramblejam,,,
I have run the conventional 15w-40 with good results,this was also out of stock.
Thanks for your reply,
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
smile.gif

Thanks Mack,,,,
I know it lacks the JASO-MA, but Wallyworld has been out of stock on both the T conventional and the T6-synthetic.
Thank you for sharing your experience, at least I know that it can be used until my regular flavors become available.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
smile.gif

Thank you to all that took the time to reply and share.
Since I have already pulled the plug, I will put the T5 in for now, and change back to T-conventional or T6 when they become available.
If I notice any glaring deficiencies I will be sure to "post-up".

I ran T5 all summer in my FJR - zero issues. Have a sample in the Blackstone pipe which will be posted in due course. Go ahead & use it, I say. Just don't hang onto it for too long. The stuff is cheap, really. Run a couple thousand miles & just watch for clutching issues (not likely to be ANY problem for you - the FJR has a much higher specific output) or degradation in shift quality. If any issues crop up, use a run-of-the-mill 15w-40 fleet oil. I doubt that the choice matters a whole ton, the latest stuff is good for bikes, in my honest opinion.

John.

While at Wallyworld check out their Valvoline M/C 4stroke 10w40. In my book it works a lot better than any HDEO of resent that I have tried. 3.98 a quart and a better value for the job at hand, It's actually made for a shared transmission....I don't have to dump it after 1k miles due to poor/notchy shifting....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
While at Wallyworld check out their Valvoline M/C 4stroke 10w40. In my book it works a lot better than any HDEO of resent that I have tried. 3.98 a quart and a better value for the job at hand, It's actually made for a shared transmission....I don't have to dump it after 1k miles due to poor/notchy shifting....

Some Diesel oils have the Allison spec for wet clutches, so they too are meant to be used in a transmission.

Here is a link to my UOA of T5 10W30 with an 8,000 OCI.

Rick

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2144174/Searchpage/2/Main/146948/Words/ST1100/Search/true/Re:_Rotella_10W30,_7,980_mi_OC#Post2144174

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can't you drive to another Walmart? Most Walmarts do in fact still carry the T and the T6.
Hi Pete,,,,the 3 stores in my area still carry both flavors, they are just out of stock at this time, I'm guessing the vendor for my area most likely forgot this part of his route.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Originally Posted By: Rick_A
Here is a link to my UOA of T5 10W30 with an 8,000 OCI.

Rick

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2144174/Searchpage/2/Main/146948/Words/ST1100/Search/true/Re:_Rotella_10W30,_7,980_mi_OC#Post2144174

Hi Rick,,,,thanks for sharing this, but for some reason my puter won't open the link, but thank you just the same.
THUMPER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back