Pennzoil filters,Purolater clones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a load of Purolater Premium Plus oil filters from my supplier and got Pennzoil oil filters instead.I cut one open and it seems to be a Premium Plus filter just painted yellow instead of white...does Purolater makes the Pennzoil brand filters?To me they are identical.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
Last I heard, people were saying Pennzoil filters were made by Fram. Maybe they changed?

The side of the can says made in the USA and it has the exact die # on the both boxes...insides of both are identical...metal end caps,bypass,string around the element..exactly the same but one is yellow the other white
dunno.gif

Wow. Maybe Pennzoil switched suppliers, possibly due to bad press about Fram? Or maybe I'm just full of it....
By the way, Lou...when you use the oversize filters, do you need more than the normal 6 quarts of oil for the 4.0?

Pennzoil filters used to be Fram filters, and Quaker State filters were purolator units (in the US anyways). Maybe they (Shell-Pennzoil-Quaker State) have finally simplified the supply chain a bit and gone to one supplier?

I know the owner of a local Pennzoil Quick lube place. A relative wanted the oil changed on her car so I took it there to please her. I brought my own AC Delco because I know these places look for low cost materials, filters, wiper blades, lights etc. He tells me he quit selling the Pennzoil brand and sells only branded Purolators which he gets thru local parts store as they give the best price on that brand. Now this is his reasoning not mine. He says he has had to many problems with the Pennzoil filters leaking and being of cheap quality. He would not use them on his truck and car and thinks his customer should not have to either. Cost to him is the same.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
Wow. Maybe Pennzoil switched suppliers, possibly due to bad press about Fram? Or maybe I'm just full of it....
By the way, Lou...when you use the oversize filters, do you need more than the normal 6 quarts of oil for the 4.0?

The oversize gives you about a half a quart more oil in the system.The advantage for me using the Ford filter on the 4.0L is it's cheaper than the Jeeps' OEM...and I do a few(Jeeps) so cost is a slight factor.I told the supplier I will be dis-assembling the Penzoil filter and if it is crap I'm bringing my entire order back.They are Purolater clones so I'll keep em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back